• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Boyo

If Salford, Mansfield or Bradford came in for Collins with enough money I could see him going there.
If they were his only options and the money was significantly more, then you're probably right. However, I suspect he would choose pretty much any club above us in the pyramid over all of those, if that were an option.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I m still not convinced that Brown would thrive at a higher level. The three players with the potential to establish themselves at Championship level (like Grimes) are Key, Collins and Hartridge. This is where our succession planning needs to focus

Bat Fastard

If they were his only options and the money was significantly more, then you're probably right. However, I suspect he would choose pretty much any club above us in the pyramid over all of those, if that were an option.
I don't think we're going to be as inundated with offers as some on here seem to believe. he's a decent player, but i don't think it's a given he'll succeed higher up by any means - there have been plenty of games this season where the games completely passed him by. If he goes to.a club above us I suspect it'll be Rotherham

tom_ecfc

If Salford, Mansfield or Bradford came in for Collins with enough money I could see him going there.
I couldn’t see him moving to any of those teams.

- Salford chop and change their manager too much.
- Mansfield have in the past thrown wages at players and failed. Step back or sideways if they get to L1, not what I would expect Collins is looking for.
- Bradford are the big club in a small (league) pond. But don’t see them progressing enough in the next 5 years, same as Mansfield, a step down/sideways.

Could see a team like Bristol City coming in for Collins. He may not get in the side every week, but could play a key roll within the 3 midfielders positions they currently play with.

Reactions: Ash

tom_ecfc

I m still not convinced that Brown would thrive at a higher level. The three players with the potential to establish themselves at Championship level (like Grimes) are Key, Collins and Hartridge. This is where our succession planning needs to focus
I could see Key and Collins in the Championship, but not Hartridge. He is a good L1 player but needs to improve when he has the ball at his feet, an important attribute to have at Championship level.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I could see Key and Collins in the Championship, but not Hartridge. He is a good L1 player but needs to improve when he has the ball at his feet, an important attitude to have at Championship level.
I said potential. Hargreaves is a good learner - look at the difference in his ability between the beginning and end of the 20/21 season

tom_ecfc

I said potential. Hargreaves is a good learner - look at the difference in his ability between the beginning and end of the 20/21 season
Owen Hargreaves? 🤣

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think we're going to be as inundated with offers as some on here seem to believe. he's a decent player, but i don't think it's a given he'll succeed higher up by any means - there have been plenty of games this season where the games completely passed him by. If he goes to.a club above us I suspect it'll be Rotherham
I dont think we will be inundated either principally because of the compensation for Key and Collins having played as many games as they have. I suspect a compensation payment north of 200k will put off most clubs who would otherwise be interested in picking up a young player with potential to improve.

Bat Fastard

I dont think we will be inundated either principally because of the compensation for Key and Collins having played as many games as they have. I suspect a compensation payment north of 200k will put off most clubs who would otherwise be interested in picking up a young player with potential to improve.
interesting, wasn't aware the compensation would be as high as that. would compensation still have to be paid if he moves at the end of his contract?

Boyo

interesting, wasn't aware the compensation would be as high as that. would compensation still have to be paid if he moves at the end of his contract?
If a player is under 24 and has been offered a contract that is equal or higher than his previous contract then the club is entitled to compensation (for the resource invested in that player's development). If the Clubs cannot agree a fee (and add-ons) then it goes to a tribunal. When Ampadu signed for Chelsea we ended up in a tribunal. Similarly James Dunn, I recall, when he went to Stevenage.

For someone like Archie who has been with us since he was 8 (I think) the amount will (should!) be high.