• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Peterborough United matchday thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was disappointed with Matt jays performance,Gary Caldwell gave him the chance to impress,and he didn’t look like he was going to take it
Difficult for him in the role he was asked to play. But the whole pace and physicality of the game seems too much for him. No problem him staying as a squad player.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Incredible game of football. The standard in the first half was real quality. Peterborough kept the ball really well and had a lovely shape and pattern to their play but we always looked a threat and pressed really well. Going into the break at 1-1 was fair. Caprice was having a great game, MJ was really struggling to get involved.

The second half was poorer in quality and Peterborough started to really dominate. Their 80th minute goal was no surprise and to be honest we looked a bit lost. As soon as they scored I could see Caldwell in deep conversation with Nicholson and it was obvious changes were required. I thought to myself how this was a real test of GC tactical qualities. He took off Sparkes, moved Caprice to the left, brought on Kite, changed our shape, and moved Dieng into the defence. Suddenly we had control of the game and Peterboroughs possession based football had disappeared. Our heart, desire and belief was there for all to see and any tension was relieved when Nombe scored from close range after a goal mouth scramble. Thank goodness for that and a draw was well earned..... but what's this....a gaping hole in the Peterborough midfield and a good through ball (can't remember from who) see's Jevani Brown racing through with the ball towards their box with 2 defenders chasing hard. He instinctively curls the ball into the top left hand corner and SJP erupted.

What a game, and what a scoreline against a very good side. Our spirit was incredible, our belief matched our spirit, and our manager won the game when we looked down and out with some fine tactical changes.

I crown thee King Caldwell the First.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

dontpassback

Difficult for him in the role he was asked to play. But the whole pace and physicality of the game seems too much for him. No problem him staying as a squad player.
Fair point,but I don’t think Matt jay will be happy as a squad player,so maybe a move on for more regular football

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

CraigECFC

I must say the changes from GC after going 2-1 down were absolutely spot on. One of my grudges with MT is he struggled with those changes and didn’t seem to have a plan B. I honestly couldn’t even tell you who was playing where come the end but it worked! Fair play to him and the staff.

League 1 football seems to suit our style and team a lot. It’s also so much more enjoyable to watch. Win or lose every week I feel like I’ve watched a very good game of football with lots of quality on show. UTC.

fred binneys head

grecIAN Harris

A good even first half, a tidy header by Dieng to give us the lead with Clarke-Harris showing his quality with a quality finish. The second half Posh dominated for long periods with City only being able to muster sporadic but dangerous counter attacks. Eventually Posh control told and they scored with a good finish from Mason-Clark to cap off a MoM performance for them, he'd given Sparkes a torrid time every time he had the chance to run at him.
'Be brave' he said. An immeadiate substitution, Kite on for Sparkes. What's he going to do now? Change from 3-4-3 to 3-4-1-2, push Dieng back to centre half, Key up on the right, switch Caprice across to the left, play Jevani as a No10 and have a proper strike pairing up front. Five minutes later Caprice breaks down the left, cuts back and swings and ball to the back post where Key rises like a salmon for Nombe to bundle in. Change to change to sub. Scenes on The Big Bank never mind the rest of the ground!!!!!
Five minutes later the ball breaks forward. I've got to be honest, I can't remember how Stanno put Brown through but he did and then time slows down. I can see the whites of Browners eyes and you know exactly where he's going, top right from his left foot. Absolute bedlam on The Bank!! Bodies all over the shop!!!
'Be brave' he said. Be brave he was........ and how!!!!!!

fred binneys head

I love limbs on the bank, nothing better.

manc grecian

I love limbs on the bank, nothing better.
Moobs as well for added sex appeal.