• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Disaster appointment. Big step backwards. Just hope he keeps us up.
Dear lordy, We win we're world beaters, We lose we're relegation cannon fodder. Don't you just love Exeweb sometimes. 🙄😀

Last edited:

C j phill

Very good post match interview, Excellent analysis very thoughtful and already looking a good appt despite 1 point from 2 games. Time to judge will be after a minimum of 10 games
I agree with your first sentence but the time to judge will be at the end of the season.

I'm interested to see what happens in the January window.

Grecian Max

Against Derby he got it right tactically.

Argyle, we went toe to toe with the best team in the league. It’s not GCs fault that we don’t have enough centre backs; MT should have got another through the door in the summer but we all know how the window went.

I respect he is already coaching us to play differently, he has his own vision and it’ll be interesting to see if pays off. So far I like what I have seen.

Average Joe

Argyle cannot be underestimated. Their team are that good that they bench a player who has 10 goals in 9 games. They have a championship side and are proving it, we went toe to toe with them last night and I'm proud of our boys. Newly promoted side with no budget and a managerial change against a team that is clearly better then league one and we did well.

If we play like we did last night, then we can enjoy a successful season, so many positives to take from last night. Corners looked dangerous, Nombe and Stanno are an attacking force something we have not had for many, many years. We had pace from the RB and LB. We played passing, long balls and pressed when needed too however Argyle are just that good at this standard.

Before last night they had not lost at home and conceded 3 goals all season and Exeter came and gave them a game they had to step up to win.

The views from all fans mutual or not seem to love last night's match, Sky TV came to show what the Devon derby is all about and it certainly did not disappoint. What a game it was!

My only gripe is that we brough Jevani on and played him as a CM when we have Jay on the bench, why bring on a player who has to be played out of position due to an injury when we had a natural player in that position on the bench. If JB wasn't fit to run down the wing then he shouldn't have come on at all.

If we can keep playing like that then I look forward to watching us most weeks. We got beat by a formidable Argyle squad.

tom_ecfc

I respect he is already coaching us to play differently, he has his own vision and it’ll be interesting to see if pays off. So far I like what I have seen.
He has noticed we need to pack the midfield area and then leave two quick/chase down type of players up top. This free‘s one of the CM to get forward (Dieng last night) and still have cover if the ball gets turned over. As i’ve mentioned on another thread, not sure Brown entirely fits into that formation and may have his head turned in Jan or end of the season if he isn’t getting regular first team football.

As you mentioned, the lack of CB is a really prob, it’s leaving Key, who isn’t natural in that position and basic CB calls like what happened for their 1st goal, ball should have gone into the stands, both Argyles CB did that about 5 times in the opening 15mins, regroup and defend as a team. This is obviously not Key’s fault, but we desperately need re enforcements in that back line.

Overall, we need to look at where we can strengthen in Jan/summer. We only have Sparkes who can play left wing back (I’m not counting Caprice). Also up top, now Smith has gone back to Leyton Orient, we don’t have another big/powerful striker alongside/replace Nombe. Middle of the park (Collins/Key/Dieng) I like, would be interesting to see how Harper plays in the 2-1 midfield formation. Chauke is a bit player and still a bit too young to be given a starting role atm.

We have a really decent team, and with a few additions we could really have high hopes for staying up this season and pushing on again next season.

denzel

I was quite surprised with the starting line up, but I can't fault it. Even the subs I agreed with.
Can't see how he could have done any more last night, just need to get a defensive coach in now...

We just need some defenders who are fit and available. KMT re-signed an aging , injury prone Jon Grounds who‘s a solid player when fit but was never going to be able to play more than 10-15 games a season & Stubbs who is always ‘3 weeks away ‘ from fitness. So it should not be a surprise that when any 1 of the other central defenders picks up a knock or suspension we are struggling. Roll on Jan. Get some reinforcements in!

andrew p long

others have already identified the biggest tactical dilemma for us. Do we play with 3 in central midfield -like last night- or play all 3 of Sam,Stanno and Jevani - like at Forest Green and Derby? I thought v Argyle Caldwell made the bold but right decision to leave Jevani on the bench. The opening line up worked out well, the subs did not.

I suspect the right solution (given that plainly we should stick with a back 3 plus wingbacks) will vary from game to game.

The other things for Caldwell to get right are a) handling Jevani. MT has helped transform his career and we desperately need that maintained, even if Jevani doesn't start some games and b) the changing style that apparently Caldwell is introducing. Evolution not revolution I hope. It would be a big mistake to clutter players minds with too much info mid season or to have players making decisions on the pitch based more on what they fear the manager might want than what they instinctively feel is right.

Mr Jinx

He has noticed we need to pack the midfield area and then leave two quick/chase down type of players up top. This free‘s one of the CM to get forward (Dieng last night) and still have cover if the ball gets turned over. As i’ve mentioned on another thread, not sure Brown entirely fits into that formation and may have his head turned in Jan or end of the season if he isn’t getting regular first team football.

As you mentioned, the lack of CB is a really prob, it’s leaving Key, who isn’t natural in that position and basic CB calls like what happened for their 1st goal, ball should have gone into the stands, both Argyles CB did that about 5 times in the opening 15mins, regroup and defend as a team. This is obviously not Key’s fault, but we desperately need re enforcements in that back line.

Overall, we need to look at where we can strengthen in Jan/summer. We only have Sparkes who can play left wing back (I’m not counting Caprice). Also up top, now Smith has gone back to Leyton Orient, we don’t have another big/powerful striker alongside/replace Nombe. Middle of the park (Collins/Key/Dieng) I like, would be interesting to see how Harper plays in the 2-1 midfield formation. Chauke is a bit player and still a bit too young to be given a starting role atm.

We have a really decent team, and with a few additions we could really have high hopes for staying up this season and pushing on again next season.
I thought our midfield was a bit sloppy 2nd half last night.

fred binneys head

handling Jevani. MT has helped transform his career and we desperately need that maintained, even if Jevani doesn't start some games
Something Jevani has to handle is opposition defenders treating him like he's our best player. Last night whenever he got the ball he had two or three Argyle players around him, jostling him and giving him no space, and he struggled. It's not a surprise and it's actually a compliment - he is arguably our best player and he will need to step up a level to enable him to continuing to contribute to the team effort whilst he's got three hairy-arsed defenders hanging off him.

I'm confident he can. Geddon Jev.