• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
And a much larger "minority" of "folks" on the mainland also expressed a desire to remain...but the Brextremists ride over that roughshod when it suits their narrow little narrative!
In fact they tend to greet any dissent with outpourings on insults if their particular credo is challenged.
How very, very Trumpian.
It was the referendum as constituted by an overwhelmingly remain parliament that ‘rode roughshod’ over the UK’s alleged latent desire to remain in the EU G2K.
If only more of those folks had gone that one stage further from an undeclared desire to remain in the EU to actually voting for it in a rather important referendum in June 2016. 🤷‍♂️
But you know that really. 😉

DB9

Well how would explain a minority of Irish Catholics in NI expressing a desire to stay within the U.K.?
Perhaps they feel genuinely British? I know its not the narrative we've seen over the years but there maybe even Protestants who feel Irish?

Grecian2K

Oh dear Tavares.

It was a "referendum" that had been shrilly demanded by an increasingly vociferous right wing rump of the Tory party, egged on and funded funded by their vulture capitalist supporters for the past two decades.

"Defended" by the likes of Cameron who was living in dread of them (as was his hapless successor). And I'll admit, not really helped by the traditionally anti-EU Corbyn and his own leftish isolationists.

But you know that really. 🥱

Incidentally I do note that it's generally now only you rabid Brextremists who seem to want to bang on and extend your 21st century Battle of Britain. Most of us "Remainders"have long accepted the inevitable and just long to see some signs of making the current fustercluck work.

As the (former) Mrs Gove said to Mikey...."You weren't meant to blow the bloody doors off!" 😂

tavyred

Perhaps they feel genuinely British? I know its not the narrative we've seen over the years but there maybe even Protestants who feel Irish?
More likely they feel specifically N Irish.
19% of the people in NI do apparently.
An interesting distinction being made there.

Grecian2K

19% of the people in NI do apparently.
So, by simple deduction, 81% DON'T!
A definitely "overwhelming majority" I'd suggest.

tavyred

So, by simple deduction, 81% DON'T!
A definitely "overwhelming majority" I'd suggest.
From memory, the biggest groups in NI describe themselves as British 31%, Irish 29% and Northern Irish 19%.

Grecian2K

From memory, the biggest groups in NI describe themselves as British 31%, Irish 29% and Northern Irish 19%.
So what are the other 21%?
Aliens from the Planet Zog?? (Or just expats from Stranraer who have lost their Protty "faith"?)

tavyred

Incidentally I do note that it's generally now only you rabid Brextremists who seem to want to bang on and extend your 21st century Battle of Britain. Most of us "Remainders"have long accepted the inevitable and just long to see some signs of making the current fustercluck work.
I look forward to the ‘progressive’ parties plans to deal with this alleged Brexit fustercluck. They, especially Labour seem reluctant to tell us.

tavyred

So what are the other 21%?
Aliens from the Planet Zog?? (Or just expats from Stranraer who have lost their Protty "faith"?)
Couldn’t tell you.
Does it matter?

Grecian2K

Couldn’t tell you.
Does it matter?
As far as the future of the UNITED Kingdom (as opposed to your LITTLE England) is concerned quite a lot I'd say

And, as far as the Brexit fustercluck is concerned, isn't that YOUR problem. Don't you understand that the democratic duty of "the opposition" to scrutinize and, if necessary, oppose?

Isn't it the responsibility of the "government" to Govern? Six years (and four leaders) in there's still little sign of that. With your sorry lot it's been one step forward, four backward all the way to your so-called "freedoms".