• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its a mentality thing - we go into battle with them over 2 games this season, we should not be positioning ourselves as a second side in Devon. Stuff like this is important, plus they would never send him across to us anyway - for the exact same reason - if he did well there would be massive kick back from them.

The type of people who think this would be alright are the same lot that said the rivalry was dead when we were 3 leagues away and that Bristol City was now their rivals. Pathetic.
I know times have changed and all that, but players have moved between the clubs many times over the years.

Is this hostility/ rivalry *really* more important to you than the success of the team ?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course we did once get a loan player from Argyle who ended up as our Player of the Season...

Grecian Max

I know times have changed and all that, but players have moved between the clubs many times over the years.

Is this hostility/ rivalry *really* more important to you than the success of the team ?
Yes, specifically a loan. Permanent is a different story. This is a made up non starter anyway and speaks volumes about our failure to recruit well this summer. We need 2 forwards, the most sought after position within 36 hours. We were promised we were looking at quality and this was why we were bypassing all the free agents to go for loans and neither has transpired in the positions we need.

I’ll await until it closed tomorrow but looks like a big let down on the transfer market to me.

Grecian Max

Of course we did once get a loan player from Argyle who ended up as our Player of the Season...
Who? I can’t remember who thats would be, but I bet we weren’t in the same division.

Anyway, get agent Andy back for the real stuff

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, specifically a loan. Permanent is a different story. This is a made up bin starter anyway and speaks volumes about our failure to recruit well this summer. We need 2 forwards, the most sought after position within 36 hours. We were promised we were looking at quality and this was why we were bypassing all the free agents to go for loans and neither has transpired in the positions we need.

I’ll await until it closed tomorrow but looks like a big let down on the transfer market to me.
If we don't have a successful last 24-36 hrs I can't disagree with you. Our recruitment policy needs to be reviewed regardless of who comes in before the deadline.

andrew p long

Who? I can’t remember who thats would be, but I bet we weren’t in the same division.

Anyway, get agent Andy back for the real stuff
Before your time Max!

Grecian Max

Before your time Max!

I’ll be honest I didn’t realise loans went back that far 😂 Was the ball still round in those days?

tavyred

If we don't have a successful last 24-36 hrs I can't disagree with you. Our recruitment policy needs to be reviewed regardless of who comes in before the deadline.
There’s clearly not a problem with the recruitment policy per se, as evidenced by our probable best ever transfer window last summer.
The quandary seems to be this summer that you and others wanted bodies in whatever to augment a smallish squad (a perfectly reasonable opinion) and the club it seems are not going to make signings they’re not totally happy with just fill up the roster.
Performances this season, in the league at least, would suggest we’re getting away with it so far.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
There’s clearly not a problem with the recruitment policy per se, as evidenced by our probable best ever transfer window last summer.
The quandary seems to be this summer that you and others wanted bodies in whatever to augment a smallish squad (a perfectly reasonable opinion) and the club it seems are not going to make signings they’re not totally happy with just fill up the roster.
Performances this season, in the league at least, would suggest we’re getting away with it so far.
The recruitment last summer was a complete squad overhaul. We signed about 15 players and naturally some have succeeded, such as Nombe, Dieng and Brown, and others less so, such as Daniels, Ray, Rowe, and to some extent Coley. Law of averages tells you this was always going to be the case.

This summer we were only after 4 or 5 players. Other than the goalkeeper we haven't signed any of our first, or even 2nd choice targets. If its purely about money then our targets are unrealistic. If its about being let down by bigger clubs who've promised us loans but then changed their minds we need to be less naive, possibly stronger with these clubs i.e. If you haven't let us know by said date we'll look elsewhere, and we also need to be expecting the worst case scenario and have back ups in place.

I understand the hurdles and pitfalls that a club with our resource has to overcome in the transfer market but that just means our recruitment policy needs to be even more savvy and carefully thought out to be successful. As it stands there's one day left of the window and we still haven't signed a striker when we desperately need 2, so I don't agree with your comment 'that there's not a problem with the recruitment policy per se'.

DJG.ECFC

At the very minimum we still need a big physical striker and also cover at left back in by tomorrow night or we’re really going to struggle soon for squad depth.