• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think the bookies have finally cottoned on.

Mordaunt now gone below evens. Sunak slipped out to 4-1. Truss has slipped further.
The king across the water Lord Frost has put the boot in this morning suggesting that Penny is not up to the job.

Alistair20000

Wow, a complete stretch on all fronts.
Please provide more details of your thinking on all fronts in relation to my post

arthur

The king across the water Lord Frost has put the boot in this morning suggesting that Penny is not up to the job.
One suspects he is probably right. Hence an early GE before she is found out

Mr Jinx

Well of course she's not a better option than him. Who is. Unfortunately for him (and Burnham on the other side), they're in no position to put their hats in to the ring. Maybe if he had the balls to step in for one of the by elections, it'd be different. But he didn't. So maybe he hasn't got what it takes either.

Mr Jinx

Please provide more details of your thinking on all fronts in relation to my post
Firstly, there's the assumption that the Tories are going to lose the next election. Let's look at that first.

I feel a bit like Big Ben donging....but no-one can answer me as it's never happened. And that's when was the last time a party won a GE without the majority support of the right wing press? I don't see Roops jumping ship especially if Leaver Mordaunt gets the nod. And the Wail ain't going anywhere. There'll be a clean slate with Bunter (the worst, most incompetent and unliked PM in history apparently) gone, and there'll be a honeymoon, all the right wing press behind them, aiming their guns squarely at Starmer and gang. The Tories losing the next election is a far from given. Someone here said the influence of the press is waning. Tell that to Rishi Sunak who's seen his hopes of becoming PM dashed by a Daily Mail that's been dripping poison from every pore.

Then there's the assumption that if the Tories lose the next GE that Badenoch is the one to watch for next Tory leader. I really don't think the membership will go for that. I really don't. Even if she is saying the right things, which she absolutely is.

Banksy

And the others are?

Alistair20000

Firstly, there's the assumption that the Tories are going to lose the next election. Let's look at that first.

I feel a bit like Big Ben donging....but no-one can answer me as it's never happened. And that's when was the last time a party won a GE without the majority support of the right wing press? I don't see Roops jumping ship especially if Leaver Mordaunt gets the nod. And the Wail ain't going anywhere. There'll be a clean slate with Bunter (the worst, most incompetent and unliked PM in history apparently) gone, and there'll be a honeymoon, all the right wing press behind them, aiming their guns squarely at Starmer and gang. The Tories losing the next election is a far from given. Someone here said the influence of the press is waning. Tell that to Rishi Sunak who's seen his hopes of becoming PM dashed by a Daily Mail that's been dripping poison from every pore.

Then there's the assumption that if the Tories lose the next GE that Badenoch is the one to watch for next Tory leader. I really don't think the membership will go for that. I really don't. Even if she is saying the right things, which she absolutely is.
O.K. all understood.

The assumption of a Tory defeat at the next GE was precisely that: an assumption and not my opinion that it would happen. The assumption was required to move on to the Kemi part.

It seems to me that Kemi is indeed setting out a pitch to the right of the party. As you say, would the membership buy in. Irrespective of that I remain of the view she is one to watch.

Alistair20000

And the others are?
Frostie commented only on Penny

geoffwp

Government has been squeezing most departments since 2010. I'm not surprised they're chasing funding.

No-one has talked about public sector pay and the cost of living crisis. Almost all was frozen post covid (if I recall correctly) and nurses had to fight to get 3%. They're all going to be pushing for double digit increases this year, whilst Tory leadership contenders all bang on about tax cuts.

Is going to be a wretched winter.
As long as City are doing ok on the pitch winter will be ok as well Spanks.😊

Alistair20000

Let’s have a look at leaders post WWII who become PM without first winning a GE, a scenario that will face the next PM

MacMillan won the next GE in 1959
Douglas Home narrowly lost in 1964
Callaghan decisively beaten in 1979
Major won in 1992 with a small majority but a record number of popular votes
Brown lost badly in 2010
May scraped home with support of the DUP in 2017
Johnson thumping majority in 2019

Not too shabby for the Tory newcomer especially as the biggest failures were Labour PMs.

Are you worried Sir Keith ?