• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we approaching a Crossroads

lamrobhero

I try to imagine what a business plan put forward by an external investor "to take us to the next level" would look like - I fail miserably.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I try to imagine what a business plan put forward by an external investor "to take us to the next level" would look like - I fail miserably.
Indeed, We can all guess but tbh we have no idea.

Spoonz Red E

We hear this season after season, suggesting that funding isn't "Clean" do we have any evidence of this? What club in the EFL or even PL have gone to the wall? Struggling yes but that has always been the case.

There is no angst on this thread I don't think, I just think now the "Euphoria" of actually getting promotion has settled down and the new season is about to start and after over 10 yrs in L2 we all want the club to do well, With other clubs getting in players the nerves might be getting a bit tetchy for some. We know it'll be tough but as usual the fans will be there supporting the team.
I suspect we have different definitions of 'going to the wall'.

For me, if a club goes into admin, welches on it's debts, loses its assets and puts its own existence in severe jeopardy then in it has.
Granted, there can be a way back as with any business but the club is completely at the mercy of how this plays out.
And once the club has no control of it's immediate future it has gone to the wall.
It's fingers crossed time or pick up the pieces as in our case.

If there are obvious cracks in a dam, 'people have been saying that dam is going to burst for years but it hasn't yet' won't do.
You fix the dam.

Last edited:

DB9

I suspect we have different definitions of 'going to the wall'.

For me, if a club goes into admin, welches on it's debts, loses its assets and puts its own existence in severe jeopardy then in it has.
Granted, there can be a way back as with any business.

If there are obvious cracks in a dam, 'people have been saying that dam is going to burst for years but it hasn't yet' won't do.
You fix the dam.
Probably do, Going to the wall to me is going out of business permanently, Football is a good way of losing money hand over fist we all know that but what other clubs do, For me it's down to their own vanity and stupidity and The Championship is just that, chasing that PL money tree dream. This thread is not about that but whether we're at a crossroads and I think we are, Now we're here in L1 what do we want to do in the medium to long term? I'll trust the club to make those decisions, They've done pretty good so far (With ups and downs) My opinion about the Academy is what I think and happy to be challenged or corrected on it, It's all about opinions. We are virtually unique in how we operate, Even with rubbish, No money owners, A pandemic and clubs in constant debt there is still no push towards our model, No one can dispute that and with a near total negative (On here anyway) to outside investment we will continue with this model. I also believe no one from outside would invest and have no say in how their investment is used so we'll see how we do and tbh I can live with that.

elginCity

Up at the other SJP the third kit is a replica of Saudi Arabia's, its investor, no thanks.

Is Trust membership available to Corporates ?

Spoonz Red E

Up at the other SJP the third kit is a replica of Saudi Arabia's, its investor, no thanks.

Is Trust membership available to Corporates ?
Yes.

Thames Valley Red

On the subject of commercials, I normally get pelters for pushing the commercial questions. This OP underlines the need for us to work on many fronts to improve. I spent some time this close season looking at the sponsorship options of our fellow League '1' clubs. I looked in detail at Burton and Shrewsbury. It is interesting to note we appear to be on a par with Burton. I saw two sponsorship differences, with Shrewsbury I saw a very sophisticated model for off season and non-matchday revenues. I also looked at Northampton and Colchester United from League '2'. I am still being chased by Cobblers and Burton commercial people to nail down some spend. :) I think 6k is achievable given away support visiting. We do need to work to keep our support tight and get closer to 7k and sell-outs. I know one supporter who has rejoined the Trust, only due to missing out almost on some games. (there is demand) We need to push hard on commercial to give us a better chance of investing on the pitch. I look forward to the new sponsored dug out seats when the arrive. I am on a Plymouth Argyle communications list, and their commercial team posted daily and they have a broad diversification of sponsors - dental practices, legal practices, boat builders, cleaning companies etc. We need to harness that area. Once we do that we have a chance of sustaining League '1' football.

Boyo

On the subject of commercials, I normally get pelters for pushing the commercial questions. This OP underlines the need for us to work on many fronts to improve. I spent some time this close season looking at the sponsorship options of our fellow League '1' clubs. I looked in detail at Burton and Shrewsbury. It is interesting to note we appear to be on a par with Burton. I saw two sponsorship differences, with Shrewsbury I saw a very sophisticated model for off season and non-matchday revenues. I also looked at .
What do Shrewsbury offer that we don't? And do we need to move to a new stadium to have equivalent facilities to offer similar?

andrew p long

Think that you have missed a few there ! Hartridge, Diabate, Sparkes look to have already demonstrated at least their first team credentials, plus Kite and Pond won't be far behind. Then there is Cox and Lee .... ! :)
In fairness to SRJ I think he was responding to a post which suggested big money sales had dried up in recent times, hence the relevance of the Randall deal.

C j phill

My view is that the quality of player developed through the Academy will determine our future.

If we are able to develop one or two "Championship standard " players from each age group, annually, which, I accept, is a tall order, and gain a couple of seasons playing output from them, before they're sold, we should be able to maintain a League Two status.

It would interesting to hear from the Director of Football, First Team Manager, Head of Academy and Trust Chair, what they think the strategy for League One permanency should be, and whether this is achievable. Perhaps that could be a topic for the next Fans Forum.