• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

Cowshed Grecian

Why would we want him? Jevani Brown is miles better.
Because he’s a Winger/ Wing back and Jevani is a number 10...was thinking more of an option if Key leaves. Also we don’t know if Coley is going to be League 1 standard.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would anyone take Randell Williams back on loan perhaps? He quite clearly isn’t Championship level and I’d imagine Hull would be willing to move him on.
No.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed he always flattered to deceive.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key will leave, Cam, Phillips and Oz will go back to their parent clubs. I don't think we'll try and sign Phillips and neither would I want us to. I have a feeling we'll try and sign Oz, but I'm not fussed if we can't. Cam is out our price range both in terms of transfer fee and wages.

So we need 2 new keepers. At least 2 strikers, a right wing back, and any other player in any position who becomes available that Taylor thinks will improve the team.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
People have mentioned Cam as being our best keeper since Hamer, and I do wonder if Hamer might actually be an option. Swansea signed a new No.1 in Jan, and Hamer's not really been involved since. Out of contract in the summer, and never really nailed down a starting place in a Championship team. Has roots in the South West as well, so might be keen to head back home...
Yes I mentioned this on another thread when it was reported that he was going to leave Swansea at the expiry of his contract. As for being 34, I'm sure there are one or two Premiership standard keepers who are older than that .

Bridgy 81

People have mentioned Cam as being our best keeper since Hamer, and I do wonder if Hamer might actually be an option. Swansea signed a new No.1 in Jan, and Hamer's not really been involved since. Out of contract in the summer, and never really nailed down a starting place in a Championship team. Has roots in the South West as well, so might be keen to head back home...
That’s not a bad idea.
Plenty of goalies around in their early/mid thirties and as he hasn’t been first choice often in recent years he should still have quite a few miles left on the clock.
I don’t suppose he’d be looking for exorbitant wages now, would be keen to play and on a one year deal, with a possible second year option in our favour, he could keep the spot warm for when Harry Lee is ready and with him and Scott Brown working him hard in training.
Plus, as Cowshed said Ben’s from down the road in (one of my favourite places) Chard.

Last edited:

Bridgy 81

Would anyone take Randell Williams back on loan perhaps? He quite clearly isn’t Championship level and I’d imagine Hull would be willing to move him on.
Not for me.

Grecian Max

Key will leave, Cam, Phillips and Oz will go back to their parent clubs. I don't think we'll try and sign Phillips and neither would I want us to. I have a feeling we'll try and sign Oz, but I'm not fussed if we can't. Cam is out our price range both in terms of transfer fee and wages.

So we need 2 new keepers. At least 2 strikers, a right wing back, and any other player in any position who becomes available that Taylor thinks will improve the team.
Probably just the one keeper - the pathway for Lee needs to there even if I’m not sure he’s ready.

I don’t think getting a deal for Dawson is dead in the water. Need to remember there are only 72 slots in the whole football league every week as a goalkeeper - and many more quality keepers around. Cam’s been immense in League 2 but I’m not so sure he’s suddenly going to become Wednesday’s no.1 even if they stay down. He’s only player I would definitely break the wage structure for.

andrew p long

I think the needs are fairly obvious - to replace those who are here on loan at present. So one absolutely top notch keeper (with Brown and -eventually- Lee as back up). And striking reinforcements. Need at least one top quality option, and at least one further back up (which could be Zanzala, to be on the bench when one of Nombe/new striker is unavailable).

And then replace any departures who leave for bigger things. MT's interview seemed to indicate that he is expecting at least one departure.

And the main other weakness IMHO is lack of cover for a Dieng type player (other midfielders such as Kite seem to fulfil a different role)

grecIAN Harris

They were also very well-paid. Let's not forget that the gamble of trying to get into the Championship nearly bankrupted the club. However, while we are on the topic of strikers I see that David Wheeler was on twitter congratulating City. I've no idea what his contract situation is but I wonder if there's any chance that now he's a father we could persuade him that Devon really is the best place for bringing up a family.
How old is Wheeler now? Certainly the wrong side of 30. Bringing him back would go against the ethos of creating pathways for our youngsters to come through.