• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pierce Sweeney

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
What Pierce Sweeney deserves is a contract at a club where pre season the manager won't tell him to find another club, strip him of his squad number and make him train with the youth team.

gui

I hope he stays . He’s a great character and a fighter . I like him a lot and he’s a credit to Exeter City .

ryancooper327

What Pierce Sweeney deserves is a contract at a club where pre season the manager won't tell him to find another club, strip him of his squad number and make him train with the youth team.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the rest, 2 is no CB number unless we are in South America. 26 is OK but he should have taken 5! Parkes/Hartridge should have had 6.

That said, this is a Sweeney thread. Happy for him to stay!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's certainly given MT something to think about with some good performances recently but don't forget hes also had some really bad games, particularly last season, with poor distribution and looking like he didn't give a fook.

I'm not bothered if he's offered a contract or not, he's not Van Dijk.

Red Devon

I’d offer Sweenz a one year extension...replacing players like him and Jake Taylor with free transfers would be risky road to go down..he’s another one that clearly offers more than what we see on a Saturday afternoon.

grecIAN Harris

He's certainly given MT something to think about with some good performances recently but don't forget hes also had some really bad games, particularly last season, with poor distribution and looking like he didn't give a fook.

No his not. He's fit, playing and his team aren't likely to fall to pieces without but when he's in it he's going to give it everything he's got. Sweenz was either brilliant or bloody awful with not a lot in between and that is probably a lot of the reason Taylor told him he would be free to find another club. He got a rocket up his arse, has reacted brilliantly to it and, whilst still prone to the odd clanger (that's why he is playing League 2 football) has found a lot more consistancy to his game. I've always felt he is an integral part of the side if we play three at the back, so he gives us that option, but he can play at right back and it now appears Taylor trusts him to play as part of central pairing in a back four (I'm not aware of injuries to McArdle, who was on the bench or Parkes yesterday). I'd say he's earnt a new deal.

budegrecian

He's proved he can play as a right sided CH in either a back 3 or 4. He can also play as right FB if necessary, so he would be a useful player to have on the bench if nothing else.
Obviously Stubbs is signed up for next season & I guess a lot depends upon whether McArdle has a 1 or 2 year deal. If only 1 year, then there is an opportunity to keep him.

Ex-ciderrr

fair play to the lad, knuckled down and worked hard to get himself back in MT plans and the side this season. I feel he is always one to get knocked by the crowd at sjp admittedly he’s had stinkers but perhaps the fact no fans have been in stadiums could of helped him a lot this season get some confidence and consistency in his performances.

on this seasons showing he would be a good back up/squad player for next season if we’re still in league 2 again. League 1, probably not.

but credit where it’s due for sweeney top professionalism and hard work to get himself back into the side

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Comes down to him or Parkes probably for a new deal. For me I would give it to Sweenz as more adaptable than Parkes

iscalad

You mean not injured a lot