• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
According to their published accounts, in 2019/19 only 20% (£1m) of FGR's turnover came from matchday income narrowly defined - the rest of the £5M was from for other sources, presumably a very large chunk in the form of donations from Mr Vince and indirectly his Ecotricity customers. (my spell check wanted to make this eccentricity, I was tempted to leave it...:D)

Explains why they were so keen to finish off the season behind closed doors and how they can be competitive with average attendances not much more than 2,500.

Their supporters must pray every day that he doesn't lose interest.
Or for that matter, that Ecotricity customers don't reconise that adding Eco in the companies name doesn't disguise the "Peckham Spring Water" nature of the operation ! 😎

DB9

I think of Mr Vince as an Elon Musk wannabe.

John William

Or for that matter, that Ecotricity customers don't recognise that adding Eco in the companies name doesn't disguise the "Peckham Spring Water" nature of the operation ! 😎
Indeed.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think of Mr Vince as an Elon Musk wannabe.
I don't pretend to know a great deal about Dale Vince, but don't quite understand all the hate. Conversely, Elon Musk is plainly a thoroughly dislikable ****.

DB9

I don't pretend to know a great deal about Dale Vince, but don't quite understand all the hate. Conversely, Elon Musk is plainly a thoroughly dislikable ****.
I don't know much about him either but I'm being light hearted about him being a Musk wannabe. I'm just not into this dissing of a club owner because he puts his money where his mouth is then people naturally assume it a "Plaything" and get bored and leave, Considering his plans for a new stadium, Especially made of wood i think he's in it for the long haul.

Legohead

Banned
I don't know much about him either but I'm being light hearted about him being a Musk wannabe. I'm just not into this dissing of a club owner because he puts his money where his mouth is then people naturally assume it a "Plaything" and get bored and leave, Considering his plans for a new stadium, Especially made of wood i think he's in it for the long haul.
It's when these owners stop putting their money where their mouths are that causes the issues we have at clubs across the football pyramid so they aren't all beacons of endeavour and ambition all of the time.

Colesman Ballz

I am not sure that it is hate. I think that people are aware of the parallels with Rushden & Diamonds and what happened to them. Then there is the multi million losses incurred whilst striving to reach the Football League, which made a mockery of financial fair play, capped off by his insistence of only proviing vegan fare inside his ground. That is not being critical of vegan food, but in these days of inclusivity, it seems somewhat bizarre to effectively force feed fans by not providing any alternative. We offer some vegetarian options, yet he does not give an option to those who are omni or carnivores.

Legohead

Banned
I am proud of Vince for the vegan stance and also the green credentials of the club and whilst I understand why some people find it a bit off that there are no alternatives, it's not compulsory to buy food at a football match. For the rest of the stuff going on at the club in terms of splashing the cash, he's an idiot and personifies everything i have come to dislike about football / owners.

Oldsmobile-88

Dale Vince does things differently which is refreshing in many ways.

The eco warrior branding of the club means he is onto a winner in these times of social conscience on environmental issues.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dale Vince does things differently which is refreshing in many ways.

The eco warrior branding of the club means he is onto a winner in these times of social conscience on environmental issues.
It's the hypocrisy of the eco warrior branding that annoys me. The New Lawn is probably the ground in the country that is most difficult to access without a car. And the gimmick of building a stadium out of wood doesn't hide the fact that it's not very eco-friendly to knock down a stadium that is barely a decade old and replace it with one built on green fields that is equally difficult to access by public transport.