• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep and maybe there are. We'd hope for a bidding war.
I do read the gossip bit on the BBC website football page and only a very few times has Ollie's name been mentioned, The other two of the BMW get mentioned loads about possible moves. I'd be surprised if Brentford had agreed to a clause like that given their ethos of selling for as much as they can.

jimbo-gould

£18m as a release clause is quite good news for us I think. I can’t see Brentford selling if they were to get promoted, whereas they don’t have a choice here. It’s maybe not as much as we thought he could potentially go for, but in a Covid world that’s probably top money.

Grecian2K

I can’t see Brentford selling if they were to get promoted.
Perhaps selling may be a necessity?
I read last week that the impecunious little EPL will be demanding £8 MILLION from each of the promoted clubs just for the privilege of joining their cosy little gang. Apparently this is to help "compensate" the fat-cats for the loss of TV revenue due to Covid.

Boyo

Yep and maybe there are. We'd hope for a bidding war.
There wouldn't be a bidding war, if the release clause is true. Brentford would have to accept £18m. No club would pay more. There may be a bidding war in personal terms with OW, but that wouldn't impact on the transfer fee.

Personally, I'd be delighted if he went for £18m. That would be over £3m to us (£5m including the initial fee).

Langer

If one club bids 18m another bids 30m I know which club he will be going to.

DB9

That won't happen if there is a release clause, Once the £18m was activated then it's down to Ollie and his agent to get the best Personal Terms for him and that has nothing to do with the club, Also if teams know thats the sell on clause amount, No one will bid higher.

IndoMike

The one that offers 18m, I believe. The less the buyer pays the more there is left over for Watkins' salary

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
No one would bid £30M. Any number of clubs would just need to bid £18M to be able to discuss terms.

StudentGrecian

Always surprises me that people don’t understand a release clause on here!
If he has a release clause then he won’t be going for more than it.

Banksy

Always surprises me that people don’t understand a release clause on here!
If he has a release clause then he won’t be going for more than it.
If indeed he even has one.