• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
You clearly have no idea of the importance of women’s football at the club or what it could do for the city.
As far as I can see, nobody is against women's football, Danny. The question is, should our women's team play at SJP or somewhere else.
Posters have reminded you many times that the pitch at SJP is not much better now than when we bought it as a farmer's field all.those years ago.
The pitch struggles to get past January in any kind of decent state If games were played on it every week not only would the pitch become nothing other than a mud bath but the women players would also be much more prone to injury.
Imo I don't see why the women don't play at the all weather pitch at the C&F. There must be a reason, I guess.
Finally, slightly off tangent, the names of the women's teams need jazzing up.
Why don't they give them.names like Exeter City Diamonds, Reading Wildcats etc.?

Rosencrantz

As far as I can see, nobody is against women's football, Danny. The question is, should our women's team play at SJP or somewhere else.
Posters have reminded you many times that the pitch at SJP is not much better now than when we bought it as a farmer's field all.those years ago.
The pitch struggles to get past January in any kind of decent state If games were played on it every week not only would the pitch become nothing other than a mud bath but the women players would also be much more prone to injury.
Imo I don't see why the women don't play at the all weather pitch at the C&F. There must be a reason, I guess.
Why don't they give them.names like Exeter City Diamonds, Reading Wildcats etc.?
I believe we do play games at the C&F on the 3G and Exwick Sports Hub as well as at Cullompton. They train at the C&F.

IndoMike

I believe we do play games at the C&F on the 3G and Exwick Sports Hub as well as at Cullompton. They train at the C&F.
Thanks for the info
It would be good if the women's team could have a permanent base, but I think you or someone else said the women's status had to grow organically. It must prove its value in terms of football quality and entertainment.

Rosencrantz

Thanks for the info
It would be good if the women's team could have a permanent base, but I think you or someone else said the women's status had to grow organically. It must prove its value in terms of football quality and entertainment.
It would be nice if they were at least based in Exeter. Speed Meadow at Cullompton is their specified home ground for now with the other two as alternatives. The reality is that women's football is growing and can get big attendances for one off specially promoted games. But for the regular games, the attendances in the WSL are generally from 3,000 down to a few hundred. And thats with the tickets under £10 max. Chelsea who are one of the best supported sides at Kingsmeadow were offering season tickets for £49.

City are playing in level four much like the men's team. Whilst it would be great to be able to get the women playing at SJP, it has to wash its face so to speak. If you are talking purely about attendances, it would be like saying the men's team should play at a 35,000 stadium.

IndoMike

It would be nice if they were at least based in Exeter. Speed Meadow at Cullompton is their specified home ground for now with the other two as alternatives. The reality is that women's football is growing and can get big attendances for one off specially promoted games. But for the regular games, the attendances in the WSL are generally from 3,000 down to a few hundred. And thats with the tickets under £10 max. Chelsea who are one of the best supported sides at Kingsmeadow were offering season tickets for £49.

City are playing in level four much like the men's team. Whilst it would be great to be able to get the women playing at SJP, it has to wash its face so to speak. If you are talking purely about attendances, it would be like saying the men's team should play at a 35,000 stadium.
Yep. Women's football has to walk before it can run.
As I said, the SJP pitch is in no condition to be played on every week, so that alone is sufficient argument to dismiss the idea. And yes, attendances would not justify the cost, I imagine.
People will only attend women's football matches regularly if the quality improves and if the degree of excitement increases.
One problem.re the quality is that moves break down very quickly due to the relatively poor standard of passing.
So it's a bit like slow motion ping pong
I see Danny's point that if there is little investment then the quality will not improve, but people will not invest until the quality improves

fred binneys head

I get your point and it’s well made, but proportionately the reality is it would be like suggesting the men’s team play in a 250,000 capacity stadium. It would be great if we could have the women playing in the city of Exeter, it would be great if they could play at SJP, but right now they can’t. They’re on an exciting journey and we should appropriately support them on it, that doesn’t mean we should do everything that dannyred suggests, mainly because SJP is in Exeter, not cloud cuckoo land.

Rosencrantz

I get your point and it’s well made, but proportionately the reality is it would be like suggesting the men’s team play in a 250,000 capacity stadium. It would be great if we could have the women playing in the city of Exeter, it would be great if they could play at SJP, but right now they can’t. They’re on an exciting journey and we should appropriately support them on it, that doesn’t mean we should do everything that dannyred suggests, mainly because SJP is in Exeter, not cloud cuckoo land.
I was being kind with the capacity figure 🙂.

Dannyred

Seriously Indo, what next get the women to play in high heals.

Yep. Women's football has to walk before it can run.
As I said, the SJP pitch is in no condition to be played on every week, so that alone is sufficient argument to dismiss the idea. And yes, attendances would not justify the cost, I imagine.
People will only attend women's football matches regularly if the quality improves and if the degree of excitement increases.
One problem.re the quality is that moves break down very quickly due to the relatively poor standard of passing.
So it's a bit like slow motion ping pong
I see Danny's point that if there is little investment then the quality will not improve, but people will not invest until the quality improves
England Women’s match last year was watched by 11.8 Million which was more than the previous England men’s match, Wembley sold out for a women’s friendly match in November.

Attendances not match the cost but it’s ok for the city’s men’s team to play several games in front of crowds less than 500 with cheap ticket prices or in a Half filled SJP on league match days.

More People will attend when the teams play at the home of the club they represent as witnessed many times as the stadiums are easier to get to plus the stadium experience compared to a non league pitch or training ground where most won’t attend.

You talk about poor quality, This coming from someone who has supported city for decades and you haven’t seen dire performances over the years is hard to believe as I have seen some real shockers including this season.

I have witnessed some amazing games of women’s football over the last few years and some poor games at all levels.

We have an opportunity to be a club that stands out in the south west for the future of women’s football and the trust should do more as it would be good all round for the club.

Rosencrantz

Seriously Indo, what next get the women to play in high heals.

England Women’s match last year was watched by 11.8 Million which was more than the previous England men’s match, Wembley sold out for a women’s friendly match in November.

Attendances not match the cost but it’s ok for the city’s men’s team to play several games in front of crowds less than 500 with cheap ticket prices or in a Half filled SJP on league match days.

More People will attend when the teams play at the home of the club they represent as witnessed many times as the stadiums are easier to get to plus the stadium experience compared to a non league pitch or training ground where most won’t attend.

You talk about poor quality, This coming from someone who has supported city for decades and you haven’t seen dire performances over the years is hard to believe as I have seen some real shockers including this season.

I have witnessed some amazing games of women’s football over the last few years and some poor games at all levels.

We have an opportunity to be a club that stands out in the south west for the future of women’s football and the trust should do more as it would be good all round for the club.
Let's compare apples with apples. The 11.8 million watched England women in the World Cup Semi Final v USA. A year before the men's team World Cup Semi Final game was watched by 26.5 million.

One of the biggest games in the WSL, Chelsea v Man City in February with the highest ticket price of £8.50 was watched by 3,500. Compare that to the corresponding men's fixture.

I witnessed some great games down Hamlin Lane Playing Fields on a Sunday morning. Doesn't mean they should be trotting out at SJP on the back of it.

It will happen when it's ready to happen.

Dannyred

Let's compare apples with apples. The 11.8 million watched England women in the World Cup Semi Final v USA. A year before the men's team World Cup Semi Final game was watched by 26.5 million.

One of the biggest games in the WSL, Chelsea v Man City in February with the highest ticket price of £8.50 was watched by 3,500. Compare that to the corresponding men's fixture.

I witnessed some great games down Hamlin Lane Playing Fields on a Sunday morning. Doesn't mean they should be trotting out at SJP on the back of it.

It will happen when it's ready to happen.
So females don’t matter when it comes to them playing football in Exeter but we are grateful for their much needed support of the men’s teams as without them our clubs attendances would be poor.

We own our football club should be changed to we Only own our Men’s Football club.