• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

Matt Phillips

As much as you are correct in what you are saying in reality there are many pit falls in what you have said.

As has been said very few of trust members vote or attend AGM meaning that any resolution would be passed or rejected within that very fine margin of Members. I would argue that any major resolution of any sort of change would fail due to the fear of change by a large number of our fan base.

it is interesting that we could be facing money problems straight in the face very soon and money from any major sponsor could mean life or death for the club. Personally if any betting company wanted to hand over a huge cheque which could save the club I’d take it in a heart beat, would the trust though?
I can think of one major resolution in the past few years that went through...

If you put forward something that enough people care about and want changed, then it will go through. I really struggle with this defeatist attitude, although it's just as prevelent in politics as it is in the Trust. If you really believe in something, put it forward, campaign for it, get support, win the vote. If you're not a member of the Trust and have a gripe, then join it. It's £2 per month for a voice (albeit not a right to have your own way, as it is democratic!)

Personally, I don't agree with the current stance regarding betting companies, but I do understand the premise. I don't feel strongly enough to put forward a resolution myself, but if someone else did, I'd be tempted to vote for it at the AGM.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
You would hope that the things were aligned.

It's the attitude of "I want a say / no-one listens to me" without willing to be a part of the organisation that would enable you do have that, that I don't get
I'll agree that at the moment if you want a say, The minimum you should do is join the Trust then put yourself up for election and see where that goes but the "no-one listens to me" bit, Those people should be able to communicate with the Trust without being a member, Especially if they have an idea the Trust should listen to

iscalad

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
By that criteria, as a Trust member and a ST holder, I'm even more equal than that.

Rosencrantz

I can think of one major resolution in the past few years that went through...

If you put forward something that enough people care about and want changed, then it will go through. I really struggle with this defeatist attitude, although it's just as prevelent in politics as it is in the Trust. If you really believe in something, put it forward, campaign for it, get support, win the vote. If you're not a member of the Trust and have a gripe, then join it. It's £2 per month for a voice (albeit not a right to have your own way, as it is democratic!)

Personally, I don't agree with the current stance regarding betting companies, but I do understand the premise. I don't feel strongly enough to put forward a resolution myself, but if someone else did, I'd be tempted to vote for it at the AGM.
Indeed, it was a resolution that certainly didn't have agreement within the Club Board or possibly a majority of the Trust Board but enough people felt strongly about it to raise it as a resolution and it got passed. The Trust and Club then implemented it.
It can be done without getting on the Trust Board.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
This. Anyone can be a part-owner of the Trust (and thereby of the Club). When you join £1 of your first subscription buys you a share in the Trust.

Open even to Argyle fans, as the Monty Python "Blackmail" sketch says, "we don't morally censure, we just want the money."

People may not not want to join the Trust, for their own perfectly justified and various reasons. That's their choice.

But legally, morally and practically they only have the right to have a say in telling the Trust and Club what to do if they are co-owners. No point moaning that that's not how you want it to be. It's reality.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps during this lockdown they could build different turnstiles for Trust and Non-trust members/Different facilities/better views of the pitch? Never heard of such arrogance, That because someone is a Trust member he or she is more important than someone who isn't! Perhaps you would like it when we open up to fans again it should be for Trust members only??
Like I said - people do not expect anything in return for their Trust donations. That is why they are called donations.

If I gave you a tenner and my mate Bill gave you twenty and then you were asked which person was providing more value to you, what would your answer be?

I'm obviously not saying that Trust members should be given significant privileges above paying punters - I'm saying almost exactly the opposite in fact. If youre going to donate £20 to the club why not just make it a trust membership? Get's you a seat at the table and you were going to make the donation anyway.

Last edited:

DB9

Like I said - people do not expect anything in return for their Trust donations. That is why they are called donations.

If I gave you a tenner and my mate Bill gave you twenty and then you were asked which person was providing more value to you, what would your answer be?
That has nothing to do with what you said, You said a Trust member is more "Important" than a fan who isn't a member and that is just wholly wrong. Ok, On your donation analagy, You dont hear CiN or Comic Relief say if you donate more than someone else, You'll be more important to them than the other person who donated a smaller amount, They always say they are grateful for ANY donation, No matter how SMALL! Once again, No fan of ECFC is more important than another!

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll agree that at the moment if you want a say, The minimum you should do is join the Trust then put yourself up for election and see where that goes but the "no-one listens to me" bit, Those people should be able to communicate with the Trust without being a member, Especially if they have an idea the Trust should listen to
Fair enough, yes would agree.
It's just where the balance of responsibility lies. People with ideas should be able to go to the Trust with ideas. It isn't encumbent on the Trust to constantly seek ideas from those outside of the Trust membership or canvas opinion from outside the Trust membership. It may be incumbent on the Club though to do so.

I don't see Trust members as being 'more important' to the Club, just that they have 'more influence' on the Club, should they wish to exercise their rights.

i8cornwall

But any City fan is free to join the Trust and put their views across as they wish. If anyone wants to attend, vote, propose a resolution - they can.
I accept many Trust members themselves don't engage with Trust matters, elections, resolutions. But the point is they can if they want and it is not the fault of the Trust board that many don't.

I don't understand the constant refrain that the Trust doesn't speak for the fans. No they don't. They represent the Trust members.
The Trust owns the Club. Anyone can join the Trust and have a say. It is that simple.

It is not up to the Trust to go an canvas opinion from thousands of non-Trust members on Trust matters.
Is true anyone can join the trust and thousands have a do. My main point was that people saying that all you have to do to bring about change is either A) Vote for candidates or B) via a resolution is flawed in that it will still be difficult in the current climate within the people who attend the meetings and interact with the trust.

I fully agree that the trust can only speak on behalf of its members .

I was actually thinking of a way that the trust could improve its dialogue with all supporters and Did start to do some fact finding before the RL stopped. The one idea I did have was a supporters club/groups meetings. The idea was more people will engage with a group they belong and interact with on a match day or at away games More then the trust. Each group/supporters club at city could then have a delegate who attends meeting with the trust/club and is able to ask questions from there members or propose ideas And the trust could do the same. The trust wouldn’t have to act on anything of course but it would help with communicating and the idea that we all want what’s best for the club.

I’d also add that my idea was for all groups at the club and not just the ones recognised by the club at the moment. I know they have Grecian groups meetings but think that is somewhat a closer shop.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I were the Trust treasurer you know who I would spend more time trying to engage with and provide value to? (1) People who currently donate or have previously donated (2) People who have never donated and show no interest in donating.

The first group would be far more important to me because they are the people who are going to give me money to develop the club with. The second group I cant do anything about, so why waste energy/time persuading them? There is of course a third group of people who would potentially donate money to the Trust but either arent aware of it or are not engaged enough to donate - they would be pretty important to me as well although it's harder to identify and categorise those people because you inherently arent aware of them.