• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't like being too friendly either Alistair, you old duffer. 😄😉
I back away in fear and trembling at the thought of you advancing on me with sliding bevel, tri square and tenon saw Geoffrey:)

malcolms

I'm sure Mike won't agree, but the panpanic will end up doing much more damage to the fabric of society than the virus ever will. Johnson coming out with a shocking and unsubstantiated claim that "many families will lose members before their time" was the catalyst for the carnage that followed. Also an "expert" said today that we have 10,000 infected people already without any evidence to back up the claim. If he knows that we have 10,000 then why are we only reporting 800?

geoffwp

Are you for real Malc? Jesus wept man.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure Mike won't agree, but the panpanic will end up doing much more damage to the fabric of society than the virus ever will. Johnson coming out with a shocking and unsubstantiated claim that "many families will lose members before their time" was the catalyst for the carnage that followed. Also an "expert" said today that we have 10,000 infected people already without any evidence to back up the claim. If he knows that we have 10,000 then why are we only reporting 800?
It's not without evidence though, is it. Unless you're grasp of what evidence means is very shaky. 800 is the numbers tested positive. If you think that scratches the surface, you're a fool.

malcolms

It's not without evidence though, is it. Unless you're grasp of what evidence means is very shaky. 800 is the numbers tested positive. If you think that scratches the surface, you're a fool.
So your "evidence" to suggest its otherwise is? I'm not a epidemiologist, so I'm not going to engage in conjecture. It may be 800, it may be 8,000 or 80,000. but at the moment it's 800 and guessing at what it might be, serves no purpose.

Oldsmobile-88

SJP on(non) match day Saturday ☹☹28C3629C-E5A6-4955-B9E6-1B6D8F43E5A2.jpeg

IndoMike

Malcs, I'm pretty sure that I've acknowledged on this thread and/or the Politics thread that the collateral, economic damage will be massive. But lives come first. Imo you deal with the most pressing issue first and the less pressing issues later. It won't be the first time or the last that the world economy will shake.
Nobody asked for this problem and nobody wants it, but as the cliche goes , "it is what it is". Save lives first.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
So your "evidence" to suggest its otherwise is? I'm not a epidemiologist, so I'm not going to engage in conjecture. It may be 800, it may be 8,000 or 80,000. but at the moment it's 800 and guessing at what it might be, serves no purpose.
Oh, you're not? Maybe don't guess then. Also, maybe listen to people who ARE epidemiologists, instead of saying its 800.

malcolms

Oh, you're not? Maybe don't guess then. Also, maybe listen to people who ARE epidemiologists, instead of saying its 800.
I'm not guessing, but others are. I'm not sure what is gained by picking a figure which is substantially larger than the one we know. The figure was mentioned in Johnson's press conference and it may be true, but as far as I know it is not established.

Alistair20000

I am missing the Match Day Thread, Dr Dave’s trusty barometer based weather reports and a visit to FECRACE. :cry: