• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Similar to the one just selected.

This series isn't over, we can still level it, people (not on here) seem to be ignoring that.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think our coach has been poor, he and Root both seem rather weak in terms of leadership.

One of the main reasons we won the world cup was Morgan, he's a great leader who doesn't have favourites and won't take bullsheet.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Similar to the one just selected.

This series isn't over, we can still level it, people (not on here) seem to be ignoring that.
Would you call time on Roy ?

IndoMike

Since young cricketers are being brought up on limited overs, I can't imagine the England test team situation is going to improve soon
For me, test cricket should be the priority, but I know many disagree. I propose that limited overs teams should comprise of over 30s only, who are a bit knackered but can handle the one-day games and should be able to switch between codes more easily.
I am not convinced about Root as captain at all and partly blame him for the Anderson problem. I think the captain needs to be older and wiser. We know that Denly and Buttler were not up to it, although they both improved slightly when it was too late. Regarding Roy, if he is to be a serious test match contender we need to keep him away from limited overs.
If the Aussies let their guard down for the 5th test we might just scrape a win, but I doubt either will be the case.
Never mind, the better team is taking the Ashes home : they urnt it.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would you call time on Roy ?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Since young cricketers are being brought up on limited overs, I can't imagine the England test team situation is going to improve soon
On that point, the Surrey Championship is proposing to move to a limited overs only format. Currently we have a split season where the first few and last few games are limited overs, the games in the middle timed, and we play each club once using each format. I think this works well as it encourages attacking batting Cricket (the limited overs matches) and attacking bowling Cricket (the timed format).

IndoMike

On that point, the Surrey Championship is proposing to move to a limited overs only format. Currently we have a split season where the first few and last few games are limited overs, the games in the middle timed, and we play each club once using each format. I think this works well as it encourages attacking batting Cricket (the limited overs matches) and attacking bowling Cricket (the timed format).
The timed matches are 3-day matches, Jason?
I'm not a cricket expert, but I followed it through my dad, who was a cricket fanatic. In my opinion there is so much limited overs cricket that it has affected the technique of our batsmen. I think they are 2 different games but played with the same tools. So I'm against mixing the two.
However, I agree that would be very difficult to organise. I also agree that if you take out Smith from the Aussie team their batting is not much better, but they play limited overs, too.
My conclusion is that within 10 years there will be no test cricket.

PS.There has also been a lot of discussion recently about the negative effect on players going on long tours and being away from.their families/partners for months

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
No, the timed matches are played in a day, but they encourage good batting technique and prizing your wicket.

IndoMike

No, the timed matches are played in a day, but they encourage good batting technique and prizing your wicket.
How do they encourage good batting technique? Is there some kind of bonus for not losing your wicket? Serious question.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
How do they encourage good batting technique? Is there some kind of bonus for not losing your wicket? Serious question.
Let's look at it this way.

In a 50 over game, the match could be over at halfway if you have a bunch of sloggers with a good eye or your oppo are particularly weak on bowling. Rack up 300+, then bowl defensively and pick up the points even if the oppo score 150/3.

In a timed match, you can go and smash the ball to all parts and score 300+, but you then need to bowl the oppo out so you need to bowl more aggressively. The batsman, on the other hand, knows that with a win out of the question they can deny the oppo the win so, with application and good technique, can see their side home to pick up points for the draw.

So the league being mixed format encourages all forms of the game.