• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'll be interested to see how it goes but if it's a vanity project and he likes mixing with the class of 92 and they did decide to upsticks, Would he stay? Time will tell I guess
The thing is I can't see why they would up sticks at the moment. They are being praised uncritically as 'local boys helping grassroots football' and they aren't exposed financially because of Mr Lim's huge fortune. I also don't think that the vanity is being fed by their celebrity as such but at the future bite of the 'Global Manchester Football Brand' cherry.

For a club like ours League One is the rockface.

We'd need to cope with increased player wages, compete well against clubs with bigger crowds and bigger budgets and sustain that in order to have a shot at the Championship and other welcome pots of football revenue. To have a decent chance at that level we have to have sound basic finances and secure football assets otherwise it'll be like running up a down escalator.

For Salford it'll be nothing like as daunting as they can take any temporary hit and keep climbing.

exeter-loyal

Bournemouth was a basket case, Always wondered why a Russian billionaire invested in them, Guess their next stage is a new stadium, Top flight club with a capacity of only 11,000 They need a bigger one
Question is would they fill a new 20+ thousand seater?

DB9

In the top flight I reckon a 20k+ would be well attended but if they went down the fair weather fans would disappear

Spoonz Red E

If you look at Brighton - in 2002-3 they were getting crowds of 6,500 when in division 1 (Championship level)
They now get 35,500.

DB9

The thing is I can't see why they would up sticks at the moment. They are being praised uncritically as 'local boys helping grassroots football' and they aren't exposed financially because of Mr Lim's huge fortune. I also don't think that the vanity is being fed by their celebrity as such but at the future bite of the 'Global Manchester Football Brand' cherry.

For a club like ours League One is the rockface.

We'd need to cope with increased player wages, compete well against clubs with bigger crowds and bigger budgets and sustain that in order to have a shot at the Championship and other welcome pots of football revenue. To have a decent chance at that level we have to have sound basic finances and secure football assets otherwise it'll be like running up a down escalator.

For Salford it'll be nothing like as daunting as they can take any temporary hit and keep climbing.
I have no doubt we'd struggle to sustain a L1 club because of our ownership model, we're just not able to keep our best players, They do well and get bought up, Constantly rebuilding a team for us would be near on impossible

IndoMike

I'm sure Bury fans will be happy to pledge money to help out knowing that most of their money will somehow drop into Dale,'s wallet.

IndoMike

As I said previously, the MP for Bury needs to call for an inquiry into the running of the EFL. THE EFL itself took responsibility for ensuring that club owners are fit and proper, and they have failed.
Of course I think it's a shame that Bury might drop out, but the fact is that their local support is minimal. For all the words of sorrow and sympathy nobody is rushing to help them. Bury is not a good investment for any serious businessman, and the chances of finding a benefactor who is genuine, capable and not a shyster is virtually nil.
It's better for the fans that Bury start again and try to work back up the leagues, with a Supporters Trust at the helm. This is a reminder to us of the value of our own Trust and of the very good work done by Taggy et Al.

grecIAN Harris

If you look at Brighton - in 2002-3 they were getting crowds of 6,500 when in division 1 (Championship level)
They now get 35,500.
Brighton were always a reasonably well supported club until the Goldstone Ground closed and they went walkabout to The Priestfield at Gillingham and then when they came back to The Withdean it didn't hold that many, only a capacity of 8850. When you add a brand new stadium and Premier League football together with a good catchment area you're going to get a sell out crowd.

Reactions: DB9

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Salford are an anomoly, Eventually they will end up being asked to be self sutainable, The class of 92 will move on when the crowds don't show up and its starts really costing them they will pass it on, Won't be as bad as R&D but they will find their "Natural" level again
Salford are not an anomaly - they are just an extreme example of the financial doping that's going on all across the lower leagues. For example, almost all of the teams that finshed above us last season - Bury, MK, Tranmere, Forest Green, Mansfield - were running at a loss one or another that would not be sustainable if the owner decided to pull his money out.

It looks like Bury may survive, but my one hope is that the media attention on the terrible way the EFL has handled this might just force a change and some improved governance.

Spoonz Red E

Brighton were always a reasonably well supported club until the Goldstone Ground closed and they went walkabout to The Priestfield at Gillingham and then when they came back to The Withdean it didn't hold that many, only a capacity of 8850. When you add a brand new stadium and Premier League football together with a good catchment area you're going to get a sell out crowd.
Which is what I think Peter Lim's end game is.
With the way big money operates at the top of football it''ll almost be like franchising by other means.

Status
Not open for further replies.