• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer 2019 - Possible signings

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Impressive during the playoffs and now very streetwise, Newport skipper Scott Bennett would be a very useful defensive addition to the squad.

iscalad

Impressive during the playoffs and now very streetwise, Newport skipper Scott Bennett would be a very useful defensive addition to the squad.
If only we could get 11 of him.

Red Devon

If only we could get 11 of him.
Proper League 2 player these days just deals with things no messing!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
No thanks. He might be a no nonsense, streetwise player but don't tell me he's turned in to a footballer since he left.

The reason Tisdale said he wished for 11 Scot Bennetts as he wanted to attract other clubs to sign him and get him off the wage bill. He didn't exactly fight to keep him when he looked to leave. Too cumbersome, too slow, always on his heels.

budegrecian

I wonder if WBA might cut us a similar deal for Kane Wilson to the one Gloucester had re the youngster linked to ECFC on another thread. Free transfer in exchange for (big) % of any future fee? (OK I know that is desperately optimistic!)
I would suggest the value we've added to Dara O'shea for them should more than cover any compensation they want for this lad.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would suggest the value we've added to Dara O'shea for them should more than cover any compensation they want for this lad.
Was thinking very much along the same lines. Hopefully given the relationship that we appear to have built recently with West Brom this will help us get this deal over the line.

Oldsmobile-88

The reason Tisdale said he wished for 11 Scot Bennetts as he wanted to attract other clubs to sign him and get him off the wage bill. He didn't exactly fight to keep him when he looked to leave. Too cumbersome, too slow, always on his heels.
He had a good engine on him,something missing from a few of our back line last season who were usually ‘blowing’ after about 70 mins.
He was excellent against us in both games last season & was pretty good in the 3 live televised games.He has improved from his time with the Grecians.

He was offered a new contract,but had fallen out with Paul Tisdale & wanted to move on.

Last edited:

budegrecian

Had he actually fallen out or was he just fed up of being a utility player, prefering to be seen solely as a defender?
Agree with your assessment of his performances this season.

StudentGrecian

Had he actually fallen out or was he just fed up of being a utility player, prefering to be seen solely as a defender?
Agree with your assessment of his performances this season.
Yeah I remember it in a similar vein, he wanted to move to play in his preferred position as a CB because Tisdale couldn’t guarantee him game time there. Although to be fair he did bag a few goals when Tisdale gave him a run upfront, and that lovely turn and finish against Argyle.

I've seen Noah play a few times for Gloucester City this season at their homebase at Evesham United,. In a poor team, he stands out as being one of their better players, and is only young. He presents on the pitch as very laid back, and this could be interpreted as lazy, or playing well within himself in a poor team. I also saw Ben Seymour play for them, and he looks a real threat up top.
On a separate note I spoke to an ex-pupil yesterday... WBA's England under 21 goalkeeper Josh Griffiths. He's currently playing under 23s for WBA and hoping for a vanarama or league 2 loan later this season. Big lad: 6 foot 7. Only 19.