• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimsby Town vs Exeter City - Match Day Thread

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was the 2 all draw in 2009 that prompted me to join this board. At the end of that season you were promoted and we were relegated the following season. Since our return to the league we drew 0-0 the first time we played you and then you have won the last 3 meetings before yesterday 3-0,2-0 and 1-0, so I suppose the 0-0 yesterday was a natural progression.

Therefore, since our return to the league we have drawn 2 and you have won 3 and we haven't scored against you in any of the 5 games!!

In fact the last time we beat you was 1991 to win promotion to the 2nd tier.
Yep having come up with us the previous season. Ironic really we won the league by 10 points and were joined by yourselves Cambridge United and Southend. Next season you were all three promoted and we were left at level three.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0r0oHiz50

Looking at the chances we had several good opportunities, they had a couple, Taylor really should have buried that one at the end after doing a lot of the hard work.

Decent point however very disappointing not to take three.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Highlights here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va0r0oHiz50

Looking at the chances we had several good opportunities, they had a couple, Taylor really should have buried that one at the end after doing a lot of the hard work.

Decent point however very disappointing not to take three.
Nice moves to create the chances, but just couldn't stick them away.

Oldsmobile-88

For a nil nil, I thought that was quite a decent game. We bossed the first half without really troubling your keeper but you were in the ascendancy 2nd half.

Our keeper made a superb save from the penalty. Thought we looked after Stockley quite well today too.

I'd have taken a point before the game started so I'm happy with the point and it was good to enjoy a few pre-match pints with a few of your fans before the game.

Good luck for the rest of the season, barring the return game obviously.
Great to catch up yesterday Les...I owe you a quid for the correct score forcast. :D

I see you had a nice little bet yesterday that came in..:D..Hope you did the lotto as well !!

scottus86

I was at work for this one so I had to listen to it. Great commentary and they followed the flow of play excellently. Even though the commentary was great, it's still difficult to form your own opinion on the game. I have watched the highlights though and we missed some sitters.

From the commentary, the first half seemed like it was all Grimsby, but looking at the highlights they only made one or two chances with their possession and I think that compliments our defensive game superbly. The second half sounded like we stepped it up a few gears and the highlights show that we had the better and majority of the chances. From the highlights Sweeney's penalty was poorly struck and perhaps we should think about handing the job over to Stockley, although Sweeney can take a great penalty, I'm wondering if his penalties have been studied by nearly all the goalkeepers in league 2. Forte should have notched one of his two chances, the one in the first half he had nearly the whole penalty area to himself and snatched at the chance, his second that hit the post was more instinctive and he was unlucky to hit the post. Boateng should have squared it to either Law or Stockley for a tap in when he was one on one with their keeper and Jake Taylor blasting over from about four yards out just showed that we need to work on our composure in the box this week in training. Another clean sheet though, with Martin and Croll forming a really strong partnerhsip and our full backs have been excellent over the last 4 or 5 games, especially Moxey. It's hard to see how Brown will regain his position int he starting line up once he is back from injury.Holmes is such a hard one, he was excellent in the previous game, but couldn't stay on his feet in this one. As frustrating as I find Lee Martin, there is some obvious quality there which I think we'd start seeing if he got a run of games in the starting line up.

Oldsmobile-88

Yes..Boetang should have squared the ball..Stockley was not best pleased,that it was not..Sweeney had a similar option later in the game.

PeteUSA

From the highlights Sweeney's penalty was poorly struck and perhaps we should think about handing the job over to Stockley, although Sweeney can take a great penalty, I'm wondering if his penalties have been studied by nearly all the goalkeepers in league 2.
It was a very poor penalty. It wasnt struck hard enough, and it wasnt very near the post. It was where Sweeney always seems to place his penalties (barring one, which he missed!). I agree, I think other clubs study penalties; and judging by yesterdays, the keeper seemed confident where that ball would go. He dived that way before the ball was struck! I originally thought he got both hands to it, which was incorrect. He could have used both though, since he got so far across, he had the option.

les.gtfc

Great to catch up yesterday Les...I owe you a quid for the correct score forcast. :D

I see you had a nice little bet yesterday that came in..:D..Hope you did the lotto as well !!
Good to catch up with you again too Russ. I collect my quid the next time I see you.

I was sweating a bit towards the end of the Liverpool game but thankfully they held on to get my bet up.

Colesman Ballz

It was a very poor penalty. It wasnt struck hard enough, and it wasnt very near the post. It was where Sweeney always seems to place his penalties (barring one, which he missed!). I agree, I think other clubs study penalties; and judging by yesterdays, the keeper seemed confident where that ball would go. He dived that way before the ball was struck! I originally thought he got both hands to it, which was incorrect. He could have used both though, since he got so far across, he had the option.
If the keeper moved before the ball was struck, the ref should have ordered it to be retaken, ergo had the keeper not cheated then Sweeney could have scored. Instead of gleefully jumping to criticise one of our players, why don't you save your criticism for the keeper and the ref ? Is it because once, a very, very, long time ago you were "a fully paid member of both their unions" ?

STURTZ

Takes a lot of bottle to take a penalty, Sweeney has been immaculate until the goalie got his hand to one in the penalty shoot out v Ipswich, scored then but since he has missed two, perhaps it is about time somebody else stepped up. Taking penalties is a confidence thing, if you haven't got it then it's not worth the risk.