• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ENGLAND v Belgium

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very happy to have got out of the group and into that half of the draw. The fact that the Stiffs were pretty dire tonight is irrelevant; it will be a different team that takes on Columbia.
I wouldn't underestimate Colombia and I wouldn't overestimate England. We're more suited to play European sides that attack more than cagey, streetwise Latinos. Can see us getting frustrated and caught on a counter attack. Overall I do think we're better, though, and will be favorites.

IndoMike

Southgate has accidentally shown to the world that our reserves are not good enough. The players who participated will be feeling pretty down and embarrassed, I guess.
Take some good man management to cheer up the squad.

Banksy

Very happy to have got out of the group and into that half of the draw. The fact that the Stiffs were pretty dire tonight is irrelevant; it will be a different team that takes on Columbia.
If we do manage to progress I just hope we don't pick up any crucial injuries because the back up doesn't look that good.

PeteUSA

I feel sorry for the fans who paid good money to see that match. The strategy was terrible, and once it appeared as if Rashford deliberately shot wide by about 2 yards when clean through on goal. Obviously their goalscorer didnt get the memo and slammed in a spectacular goal! I think Martinez's reaction summed it up! I'm not sold on Pickford incidently, particularly v Belgium when he comes out towards a forward leading with his boot like a frigging full back! I also dont know why he risked a 'Karius' early on by two fisting a ball outwards instead of palming it over the bar! The jurys still out with me on him!

grecIAN Harris

I feel sorry for the fans who paid good money to see that match. The strategy was terrible, and once it appeared as if Rashford deliberately shot wide by about 2 yards when clean through on goal. Obviously their goalscorer didnt get the memo and slammed in a spectacular goal! I think Martinez's reaction summed it up! I'm not sold on Pickford incidently, particularly v Belgium when he comes out towards a forward leading with his boot like a frigging full back! I also dont know why he risked a 'Karius' early on by two fisting a ball outwards instead of palming it over the bar! The jurys still out with me on him!
If you watch that first shot properly Pete I think you'll find that Pickford was pretty much unsighted for most of it as he had two of our defenders between him and the ball so wouldn't have been able to react until late. I'm a bit more concerned about the save later on when he parried the ball back out into the box instead of away to the side when he totally misjudged the swerve on the shot. He dived past the point of impact and ended up having little option other than getting his hands on it and hoping that it didn't land in the wrong place.

StroudGrecian

If we do manage to progress I just hope we don't pick up any crucial injuries because the back up doesn't look that good.
Didn't look that good collectively, but its a different matter if one or two are needed to slot in to the A team - much easier to raise your game with better players around you.

Same team that beat Panama will start against Colombia I reckon.

IndoMike

I think it will do. No player really demanded promotion to the first team after last night. No easy games now - we have to raise our game.

Alistair20000

I wouldn't underestimate Colombia and I wouldn't overestimate England. We're more suited to play European sides that attack more than cagey, streetwise Latinos. Can see us getting frustrated and caught on a counter attack. Overall I do think we're better, though, and will be favorites.
Not underestimating Columbia at all Indo. Might be a tougher nut to crack than Japan but would not mind Sweden/Switzerland in the Q/F as opposed to the options in the other half of the draw.

All to play for and just hoping.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I also feel for everyone who shelled out to watch that or paid for the Japan/Poland farce.

StroudGrecian

Not underestimating Columbia at all Indo. Might be a tougher nut to crack than Japan but would not mind Sweden/Switzerland in the Q/F as opposed to the options in the other half of the draw.

All to play for and just hoping.
FFS Al it's Colombia, not Columbia. You're doing it on purpose!