• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Rochdale A.F.C. Matchday Thread

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale told BBC Radio Devon:

"Considering how poor we were today we just hoped we could hang on, so to be at that point and lose a goal and then an injury time winner is very disappointing.
Play media

"I've not seen one of my teams play so poorly for a long, long time. We struggled to put the passes together and play any meaningful forward play at all.

"We're in a good position, it's about the next game and it's about what's possible, so we have to back each other.

"We're a very average League Two club that is in a very very good position. The heart of the team, all the talent, has been ripped out the middle of it because of injury."

I thought i would put this here. Tisdales Interview. Some good words said.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale told BBC Radio Devon:

"Considering how poor we were today we just hoped we could hang on, so to be at that point and lose a goal and then an injury time winner is very disappointing.
Play media

"I've not seen one of my teams play so poorly for a long, long time. We struggled to put the passes together and play any meaningful forward play at all.

"We're in a good position, it's about the next game and it's about what's possible, so we have to back each other.

"We're a very average League Two club that is in a very very good position. The heart of the team, all the talent, has been ripped out the middle of it because of injury."

I thought i would put this here. Tisdales Interview. Some good words said.

rp42

Dales first three points of 2013 im led to belief?

Darren Moxey

Resigned
Not gonna pretend we played very well but… Cureton's disallowed 'goal', midway through the second half, should have stood given the ball clearly came to him via the head of a Rochdale defender.

Maybe, just maybe, the linesman, who was 50 or 60 yards away, could be excused for missing it but the overweight referee who constantly got in the way and, it seemed to me, struggled to keep up throughout had no such excuse.

Mediocre as we were throughout, had that goal stood then I maintain we'd have gone on to win comfortably.

That aside, what's the score with O'Flynn, who appeared okay at the end of Saturday's game but wasn't even on the bench today?!
Yep, the ball blatantly came off the Rochdale man.

Very poor Easter weekend which has seen us go from automatic promotion contenders to looking over our shoulders. Bradford are the team to look out for IMO.

Not gonna pretend we played very well but… Cureton's disallowed 'goal', midway through the second half, should have stood given the ball clearly came to him via the head of a Rochdale defender.

Maybe, just maybe, the linesman, who was 50 or 60 yards away, could be excused for missing it but the overweight referee who constantly got in the way and, it seemed to me, struggled to keep up throughout had no such excuse.

Mediocre as we were throughout, had that goal stood then I maintain we'd have gone on to win comfortably.

That aside, what's the score with O'Flynn, who appeared okay at the end of Saturday's game but wasn't even on the bench today?!
Not sure what the rule is regarding that. Thought it was crazy to rule it out at first but thinking about it it's all about phases of play. Like when a ball hits the post and comes back out they can be offside. So if the Lino deemed the ball to kind of bounce off their player from Artur's freekick it may be seen as the same phase of play.

Last edited:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure what the rule is regarding that. Thought it was crazy to rule it out at first bit thinking about it it's all about phases of play. Like when a ball hits the post and comes back out they can be offside. So if the Lino deemed the ball to kinda rebound off their player from Artur's freekick it may be seen as the same phase of play.
You cant be offside from a goal kick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/football/rules/newsid_3632000/3632335.stm

Grecian1966

Freekick is not the same as a goalkick

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Freekick is not the same as a goalkick
I thought it was a goal kick??? Either way he was not offside but the lino gave it so he was offside because the lino gave it.

Grecian1966

Yep, we as a club have learnt nothing from 2003. I can see us BSPL again, long before we're a league 1 club again. The board & Tis have got to go
Are you a caricature parading as a football fan?

Guillem_Browser

Well here’s my view (sorry in advance for the elongated rant...)

Same old sh*t I’m afraid... Negative tactics when we’re ahead leading to the inevitable throwing away of leads, pointless and aimless long balls to our 5ft strikeforce with Coles again the main culprit (Bauza played quite well I thought but he’s never going to be a targetman FFS) and some questionable goalkeeping from Artur, despite the good season he’s having you just feel he’s never more than 5 minutes from calamity.

First half was decent I thought, we just about shaded it and deserved to be ahead, some lovely touches throughout the half from Curo and he deserved his well-taken goal. At half time we all thought that we needed a second goal as they clearly posed a threat, but surprise surprise we sat back and allowed them to have the ball and cause problems, it’s so frustrating to watch! Once they equalised there was only going to be one team who was going to win it.

I think Keohane should be starting games, he’s had a good season despite being mainly used off the bench and at least uses the ball well, Bennett’s passing is absolutely atrocious at times and he’s lucky to have maintained his place throughout the season. Davies, as usual, worked hard but offered very little in an attacking sense. All in all a very frustrating match, one that we should have battled to hold on to but I was not surprised at all that we threw it away. I know it sounds horribly negative but I don’t think I want us to be promoted; we’re not good enough and would be humiliated next year unfortunately in my opinion.

On a separate note, how much did those Rochdale CM’s look like the Mitchell brothers? A nightmare to tell them apart from the Soccer Sight booth!