• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The End of an Era

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are absolutely right, though i suspect for different reasons. The Exeter City as we have known it has been a minnow of a club, generally badly run and bumping along in the lower reaches of the 4th Division with successful seasons so rare and far apart that we can remember and name them all. On the rare occasion we have risen above our traditional level we have given the appearance that we are out of our depth as a club, such heights are not for the likes of us.
Well i really feel those days are over, we have breached that gap. Clubs with much more illustrious pasts than us languish beneath us in the table, humiliated on the field and look at the running of our club with respect and admiration.
I never thought i would see that day, the day when an Exeter City executive is called before an Inquiery not to account for it's actions but as an example of good practice, the day the football world ( granted barring Poults, Malc, Jay etc :)) looks to my club for inspiration.
Well said....[y]

FAN-TATIC

This may be the end of era, but it ain't the end of journey by a long chalk. We have got where we are by good management off the field and good management on it.

Exeter City Football Club is not about individuals it's about a team or if you like a family of people all with the same ambitions and all pulling in the same direction (save for the moaners on Exeweb).

Paul Tisdale and Steve Perryman will never allow anyone to interfere with the family/team ethic. It really is all for one and one for all.

I am not too sad that a change of personnel is and has taken place, that's expected. We lost Deano, Stanno, Gilly, Friend, and Seaborne and still we continue to improve. Now that Ryan has gone and Matty is expected to follow they will leave gaps for others to step up and fill. However, providing we keep the team/family ethic there is no reason why we can't continue along the road of success that we have enjoyed over the last five years.

We are Exeter City FC for christ's sake!

Last edited:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
^^^^^ Concur! :)

DJH2005

Concur here too. Good post F-T and gstew. [y]

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
This may be the end of era, but it ain't the end of journey by a long chalk. We have got where we are by good management off the field and good management on it.

Exeter City Football Club is not about individuals it's about a team or if you like a family of people all with the same ambitions and all pulling in the same direction (save for the moaners on Exeweb).

Paul Tisdale and Steve Perryman will never allow anyone to interfere with the family/team ethic. It really is all for one and one for all.

I am not too sad that a change of personnel is and has taken place, that's expected. We lost Deano, Stanno, Gilly, Friend, and Seaborne and still we continue to improve. Now that Ryan has gone and Matty is expected to follow they will leave gaps for others to step up and fill. However, providing we keep the team/family ethic there is no reason why we can't continue along the road of success that we have enjoyed over the last five years.

We are Exeter City FC for christ's sake!
Yes, F'tic.. It's good to blow our own trumpet, and I agree it's been a very good season. But it will be evermore difficult to find players "on the cheap" who can be top Div 1 quality and take us higher, and we can't even really expect Tis to keep doing that. I fear that this last season we might have peaked, unless we can find a couple of million quid to bring in a few players who can raise the bar for us. Not moaning - I'm a happy camper-just bringing some realism to the show..

RobG

The Tisdale Turnaround was a good read about the journey

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Its not the end of an era.

I said on Sunday, we've just entered a new phase, one that the management team will build a side capable of getting in to the Championship.

Grecian1966

Well we are not at the pinnacle of our achievement, 2nd in 3rd South is our highest position, FACT !

Shirley we should count BJ in there Fred, he hasn't taken all the steps but he was here at the start and he is here now.
Poults, I thought about Billy J but decided he wasn't for inclusion as he has stepped off the team bus before returning. As for your FACT that debate has been done to death and whilst I actually feel that Billy Mcdevitt (1929-35) can stake a claim to be City's greatest manager (6th rd FA Cup and high finishes in Div 3 South) I feel Tiz rightly wins given the regionalised nature of football back then and the FACT that Tiz inherited our club after 50 years of continual decline (aside from the stabilisation under Eamo and Ingle). Whilst I certainly wasn't around in the 1930's historically back then Exeter City were actually far more competitive than in modern times. The club only started league football the decade before and were already spending more then than could be afforded!:S
I agree with others that the new Exeter City have left behind the old version. However, maintaining this progress is a massive challenge under our restraints unless a Ted Baker of this world wants to invest without total ownership?

Last edited:

FAN-TATIC

Yes, F'tic.. It's good to blow our own trumpet, and I agree it's been a very good season. But it will be evermore difficult to find players "on the cheap" who can be top Div 1 quality and take us higher, and we can't even really expect Tis to keep doing that. I fear that this last season we might have peaked, unless we can find a couple of million quid to bring in a few players who can raise the bar for us. Not moaning - I'm a happy camper-just bringing some realism to the show..
The realism is that we came within a whisker of making the play-offs with free transfers(save for Troy) and home grown products. It therefore stands to reason that we can go one better and reach the play-offs. Once we have done that it is cup- tie stuff and anything can happen.

However, I would agree with your comments on funds Mike once and if we make the CCC. Then we will need to find the funds that would enable us to stay there.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, I agree with the OP, it is the end of an era. However, one thing these players will take with them, as we will of them, are fond memories of their time at ECFC. Harley has already gone on record as saying what a great club it is and how he will always feel an affinity with us and follow our fortunes. That kind of statement would have been a rarity a few years back. Many players felt glad to be rid of us for a whole variety of reasons.

Also, the benefits to our future as that the departing players are mostly likely to speak well of us and it may well result in other players looking for a club being motivated to come here rather than somewhere else.

The end of an era, but the dawn of another.