• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Your current state of play

Gull9

Hi guys

Firstly - I am not here to try to stir up trouble but just wanted to know what (if anything) is going on with you guys??

I read the Sunday Independent and it very much indicated that there were some budget restrictions be applied to your spending power. In fact - Tisadle indicated he could not recruit any new players this year and will have to use youth players.

However, I do not get that impression from reading your forum and your squad list looks plentiful already so are things as bad as all that?

I do note that many on here are not Tisdale's biggest fan which is strange as from an outsider it seems as he has done a very decent job for you guys and although your season tailed off you still finished top of the Devon sides?

Anyway - any insight is welcomed as too how things really are at SJP.

All the best

Matthew (Gulls fan)

Last edited:

Grecian1966

Hi guys

Firstly - I am not here to try to stir up trouble but just wanted to know what (if anything) is going on with you guys??

I read the Sunday Independent and it very much indicated that there were some budget restrictions be applied to your spending power. In fact - Tisadle indicated he could not recruit any new players this year and will have to use youth players.

However, I do not get that impression from reading your forum and your squad list looks plentiful already so are things as bad as all that?

I do note that many on here are not Tisdale's biggest fan which is strange as from an outsider it seems as he has done a very decent job for you guys and although your season tailed off you still finished top of the Devon sides?

Anyway - any insight is welcomed as too how things really are at SJP.

All the best

Matthew (Gulls fan)
Matt, it appears both your club and ours will rely more on youth in the coming season. Anyhow to answer your point. Any fans forum is often skewed toward the disenchanted and negative rather than the quietly supportive therefore often it appears that things are worse than they appear. My feeling and the evidence of matchdays is that the vast majority of fans are supportive of the manager even id home matches last season were disappointing.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt, it appears both your club and ours will rely more on youth in the coming season. Anyhow to answer your point. Any fans forum is often skewed toward the disenchanted and negative rather than the quietly supportive therefore often it appears that things are worse than they appear. My feeling and the evidence of matchdays is that the vast majority of fans are supportive of the manager even id home matches last season were disappointing.
The tide is turning Freddo.

In answer to the OP, people are finally seeing the real shambles this club is. The whole "we own our football club" things has well and truely worn off from those naive enough to believe it.

Lister

Matthew (Gulls fan)
We have a budget based on football club income, league money and windfalls. We do not spend what we don't have.

In recent seasons we've been able to inflate our base budget (football club and league money) with income from the sale of players, or a cup tie such as against Liverpool. During this past season we've sold nobody, and had awful cup runs.

Therefore next season we operate on our most basic budget. The reality of that is, of course, less money which means less seasoned professionals and more youth.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
As last year we haven't been told a whole lot yet, four players have been released and negotiations are on going with a few of our better players. As for everyone else apart from Gow and Davies we don't know who is still under contract despite a few press articles which indicate a few who may have signed.

If everyone on our list does sign then doubt we will sign anyone else. Heard that you guys have six signed on and will be relying on youth similar to us so guess we will be closer in league position next time around.

Boyo

We have a budget based on football club income, league money and windfalls. We do not spend what we don't have.

In recent seasons we've been able to inflate our base budget (football club and league money) with income from the sale of players, or a cup tie such as against Liverpool. During this past season we've sold nobody, and had awful cup runs.

Therefore next season we operate on our most basic budget. The reality of that is, of course, less money which means less seasoned professionals and more youth.

Beautifully put Lister.

This is the reality of our current situation, and what Tisdale is referring to when he talks about the start of a new cycle.

Gull9

As last year we haven't been told a whole lot yet, four players have been released and negotiations are on going with a few of our better players. As for everyone else apart from Gow and Davies we don't know who is still under contract despite a few press articles which indicate a few who may have signed.

If everyone on our list does sign then doubt we will sign anyone else. Heard that you guys have six signed on and will be relying on youth similar to us so guess we will be closer in league position next time around.
We have released 7 and Knill states we are going to operate on a squad of 14-15 experienced league players (we have 10 currently if new deals are signed) with young players and some recent pro's from youth squad filling in the rest. I suspect we may have a few on season long loans and Knill was at a U21 Man Utd game recently with this in mind.

We too have had awful cup runs recently but made 500k the season before last on player sales so might not be at the bottom of the barrel yet!

Incidentally - Lost a bet to a Grecians fan last season (about finishing positions) and now owe them next season new strip. Will this be the home or away and have you guys had a preview yet??

Grecian_Jay

Beautifully put Lister.

This is the reality of our current situation, and what Tisdale is referring to when he talks about the start of a new cycle.
For a start this should have been the case all the time, you should only ever spend what you have.

Secondly the two main parts of this for raising funds is:

1. Player windfalls - Stop signing players who are over 30 and will have no sell-on value.
2. Give it a good go in the cups and stop treating it as 'another game'. This is the big opportunity for a club like ours to make money, so take it with both hands!

There you go problem solved. No need for "new cylcles" or any other fancy phrases, just use common bloody sense.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Incidentally - Lost a bet to a Grecians fan last season (about finishing positions) and now owe them next season new strip. Will this be the home or away and have you guys had a preview yet??
No word of any new strip next season. The current ones (Joma, light blue away) are only a year old.

Olivia's mum

No word of any new strip next season. The current ones (Joma, light blue away) are only a year old.
same kits for next season