• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

York City vs Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bar 3 chances in about 15 seconds we never looked like scoring, partly because we have a midfield completely devoid of any ideas, and partly because we gave the ball away so cheaply and so often - Thankfully York gave the ball back almost as often. Worst offender was probably Butterfield, what a truly awful player he is.

Terrible game, with a very rare clean sheet the only positive to take from it.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Worst offender was probably Butterfield, what a truly awful player he is.
Odd, Kirky made Butterfield our best player.

flakey pasty

I went today, and I did think it was a pretty good game contrary to other views already expressed, never surprises me how different people can see the same thing very differently.

Okay, we weren't great, and didn't score any goals, but it was entertaining and a step forward from last week, although still a surprising formation.

I note people on here assumed Butterfield played in central defence. He didn't. It looked like a flat back 4 with JMT and Ribs in the central positions and Davies and McAllister as the right and left backs respectively. To me it looked like Butterfield sat in front of the, ala matey at Arsenal.

Best I've ever seen Hamon play, great at corners, good save, looked confident, distributed well.
Morrison (who I am not keen on at all) played well today, very committed, put in a shift, could have scored.
Tom also put in a shift, but frustratingly the linkage from the rest of the team to the front 2 was predominantly straight to Morrison (who did consistently hold it up very well) and Tom did not really benefit from that approach.
Ribs is a class act. He played well in central defence, I guess because he's such a good player for this level, he would look good anywhere, but it's not his best position, and means we miss him supporting the front players when he bombs down the wing.
There were lots of mistakes, and poor passing, but the overall entertainment in my view was good.
Harley is an enigma, he did some good things today, but also terrible ones.
Their fans did give us a round of applause when the away attendance was announced.
The Doombar in the Burton Stone pub was good
Over and out, looking forward to GOG's proper analysis later :)
Interesting report AP. Congratulations on making the mammoth journey.
Your comments mirror the GP commentary far more than most of the other posts. :)

Avening Posse

Interesting report AP. Congratulations on making the mammoth journey.
Your comments mirror the GP commentary far more than most of the other posts. :)
One of the many advantages of living in the Cotswold Flakey, most aways are a stroll in the park :)

flakey pasty

"Strolls in the park" are not just for Ryan Harley, then? ;)

Silver fox

Fooking stroll City have it....

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Bauy City Strollers?

Silver fox

Bauy City Strollers?
Like it Rae (y)

Silver fox

Any highlights yet?

On the up

UTo
I went today, and I did think it was a pretty good game contrary to other views already expressed, never surprises me how different people can see the same thing very differently.

Okay, we weren't great, and didn't score any goals, but it was entertaining and

a step forward from last week, although still a surprising formation.

I note people on here assumed Butterfield played in central defence. He didn't. It looked like a flat back 4 with JMT and Ribs in the central positions and Davies and McAllister as the right and left backs respectively. To me it looked like Butterfield sat in front of the, ala matey at Arsenal.

Best I've ever seen Hamon play, great at corners, good save, looked confident, distributed well.
Morrison (who I am not keen on at all) played well today, very committed, put in a shift, could have scored.
Tom also put in a shift, but frustratingly the linkage from the rest of the team to the front 2 was predominantly straight to Morrison (who did consistently hold it up very well) and Tom did not really benefit from that approach.
Ribs is a class act. He played well in central defence, I guess because he's such a good player for this level, he would look good anywhere, but it's not his best position, and means we miss him supporting the front players when he bombs down the wing.
There were lots of mistakes, and poor passing, but the overall entertainment in my view was good.
Harley is an enigma, he did some good things today, but also terrible ones.
Their fans did give us a round of applause when the away attendance was announced.
The Doombar in the Burton Stone pub was good
Over and out, looking forward to GOG's proper analysis later :)
Thanks for comprehensive match report, some good balanced views on the game.
Interesting that a simple back four played well without Woodman butts or Oakley being required to bolster it to a back 5. JMT & Ribs seemed to do well together in the centre. Personally throught they did well against Portsmouth away as CBs. It was only the unmarked runners from midfield that troubled our goal in that game.
Well it will interesting to see if we stick with the same Back 4, or reintroduce the back 5 which allows some of the missing players to come back into the team? Tend to believe the back 3 / 5 shape tends to confuse our players. Too many situations occur when they're not clear who is responsible for what. 442 is much simpler for the lads to understand their roles. Good away point and very pleasing to keep a clean sheet. A little more composure in the first half and we would have taken the points. More of the same next week I hope.

Last edited: