• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World Cup 2026 : USA, Mexico, Canada

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Too many poor teams will get into the competition.
24 teams in a tournament over 21 days is the ideal format. I understand that FIFA want to expand football across developing nations, a better scenario for that would be a tournament after the World Cup for 24 teams, called World Cup 2, or similar.

iscalad

24 teams in a tournament over 21 days is the ideal format. I understand that FIFA want to expand football across developing nations, a better scenario for that would be a tournament after the World Cup for 24 teams, called World Cup 2, or similar.
Indeed. Carbon footprint, what's that?

Antony Moxey

So this is the second WC in the US since we had one here? It's funny how everyone scoffed at us getting the Olympics yet it was widely reported as being a hugely successful games. You wonder - well you don't, it's money and backhanders obviously - why we haven't been awarded another WC in almost 60 years. Most of the major players have had one or two since we last hosted it. I reckon if FIFA asked us if we could do it this summer we'd still manage it comfortably. Not sure either - well, I am, it's money and backhanders obviously - why the US needs Mexico and Canada to co-host, they could easily manage it on their own.

iscalad

So this is the second WC in the US since we had one here? It's funny how everyone scoffed at us getting the Olympics yet it was widely reported as being a hugely successful games. You wonder - well you don't, it's money and backhanders obviously - why we haven't been awarded another WC in almost 60 years. Most of the major players have had one or two since we last hosted it. I reckon if FIFA asked us if we could do it this summer we'd still manage it comfortably. Not sure either - well, I am, it's money and backhanders obviously - why the US needs Mexico and Canada to co-host, they could easily manage it on their own.
Politics innit. Everyone hate the English.

The annoying thing is we have a lot of very good, modern stadiums.

Boyo

The other way to look at it, is that North America hasn't hosted the tournament since 1994, whilst it's been in Europe three times since then. They are having games in both Mexico and Canada, as those other countries alone, don't have the stadiums or infrastructure to host it themselves.

With the new, expanded format, there are very few countries that could host the tournament single-handedly. Granted the US absolutely could, and England could as well (although a co-bid with the other home nations would probably be viewed more favourably).

The 2030 tournament is going to be properly bat-sh1t.

Stelios

Fifa president Gianni Infantino, alongside comedian and actor Kevin Hart, rapper Drake and celebrity Kim Kardashian, announced the plans on Sunday and also revealed the third-place play-off match will take place in Miami.
Kill me now

#signoftheapocolypse

Stelios

Unfortunately I think having world class stadia in a football-obsessed country that would sell out most games is pretty low down on FIFA's list of priorities when looking for hosts 😔 💵💵💵💵💵💵