• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why isn't the Trust more proactive on ground redevelopment?

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes. I stopped going to Brighton when they played at the Withdean. I didn't go to Wimbledon last year because the away end is so poor.
Okay, fair enough then. Was just wondering.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I stopped going to Brighton when they played at the Withdean. I didn't go to Wimbledon last year because the away end is so poor.
Surely both of those will have been down to the view from the stand(s), not the stands themselves? i.e. Withdean was 8.6 miles from the pitch whereas Wimbledon you can't see most of the pitch due to the ridiculously low roof (plus Wimbledon is a bit of a crap awayday in terms of local amenities). No such problems with our away end on those counts. Ours is very like York in that respect, both times I've been there I've had a thoroughly enjoyable day and the away end was absolutely fine if a little dilapidated.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure if I'd want to stand on our away terrace in the rain.

I will only go to Wimbledon again if I can get a seat (gonna miss this year anyway as I shall be away; maybe we'll be in L1 next year) :D

Boyo

Surely both of those will have been down to the view from the stand(s), not the stands themselves? i.e. Withdean was 8.6 miles from the pitch whereas Wimbledon you can't see most of the pitch due to the ridiculously low roof (plus Wimbledon is a bit of a crap awayday in terms of local amenities). No such problems with our away end on those counts. Ours is very like York in that respect, both times I've been there I've had a thoroughly enjoyable day and the away end was absolutely fine if a little dilapidated.
Fair point. The stand or terrace can be as grotty as hell, but that wouldn’t stop me travelling, whereas if I can’t properly see the ‘product’ on the pitch then I may not bother. You’re also right about the local amenities. Wimbledon is about as dull as it gets.

I’ve never watched a game from our away end, so can’t comment further.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
The report that follows was produced by Phil Bater, Chairman of the Senior Reds. For those who would like a bit more detail of the project I felt it was worth posting here as it is a good clear and lucid report and it may help to answer a few folks' questions.....

Subject: St James Park Development

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

This afternoon, I attended a briefing at St James Park, which outlined the development plans for the stadium. I was representing the Senior Reds, and therefore am now passing on my notes in this email.

One thing to remember is that this is a "no risk, no cost" project. The club plan to work with Yelverton Properties, who have considerable experience in student accommodation: they developed the new site on Western Way and are currently working on the project at the Exeter Cricket Field. They employ an Architect who has experience in such projects as this.

The aim is:-

• To provide a great sporting resource for a growing city
  • To improve the experience for spectators.

The intention is to achieve this by:-

• Demolishing and rebuilding the Stagecoach Stand (Old Grandstand), built in 1926 and with significant Health and Safety issues.
  • Relocate and improve changing rooms for players and match officials to the WTS Stand
  • Improve other parts of the ground, including replacement and enhancement of toilet facilities on the Big Bank.
  • Enhance away facilities, if funds permit.
  • Provide accommodation for 320 student beds on land behind the Big Bank and two adjoining pieces of land (the Yeo and Davey site and 20 Old Tiverton Road, with contracts already exchanged on the latter), as well as a 350 square metres retail outlet in the form of a convenience store.

The timetable is as follows: - as long as everything goes well

• 24th and 25th July 2015 - first public consultation
  • Early / mid September 2015 - second public consultation
  • Autumn 2015 - submit planning application
  • Winter 2015/16 - ECC to make decision on planning application.

If everything goes well, and to cause least disruption, the project will move on as follows:-

• The Stagecoach Stand will start to be demolished straight after the last home game of the 2015/16 season
  • Changing rooms and match officials facilities will be established in the WTS Stand
  • The New Grandstand will be complete half way through the 2016/17 season

The New Grandstand will:-

• Be of modular steel construction, supported on piles set in a concrete base. This type of structure means that it's possible to add extra sections if the opportunity arises
  • Have a capacity of 1,600, which is just over what it is now
  • Have four access points and comply with all requirements in the Green Guide, covering all disabled access requirements.
  • Have bars, concessions and toilets underneath

If there is finance available, the Away End will:-

• Consist of a roofed stand, with capacity for 1,000 standing spectators
  • Be demountable, meaning that if there is ever the chance to improve it, the stand can be taken apart and sold
  • Cost in the region of £200,000 to £250,000
  • Offer improved toilet facilities

The club needs our support to help back this project. We can make our views known at public consultation, via social media outlets or in writing. There is a tendency for a few who object to make the most noise whilst the silent majority who back the plan don't get active. Some residents may feel that there are enough students in the area already ( apparently 30% of houses in multiple occupancy in Exeter are in St James), but that is hardly surprising with the University so close. This project offers student accommodation in a contained block, rather than in amongst domestic dwellings.

You can read more on these proposals at:-

• By post on Freepost, St James Park Development
  • Telephone 08001488911 - it's free
  • On Twitter at @St.JamesParkDev

Thanks for your time, and I hope you found these notes useful. These are exciting times at the Park - let's do our bit and get behind the Club.

Phil Bater
Chairman
Senior Reds

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The New Grandstand will:-

• Have bars, concessions and toilets underneath
Thanks, Pete. Just to try and get a picture in my head, is it going to be similar to the concourse at Oxford?

Boyo

Thanks, Pete. Just to try and get a picture in my head, is it going to be similar to the concourse at Oxford?
It hasn’t been designed yet. The images released so far are merely an artists impressions.

hoover

Still not sure that anyone's addressed the elephant in the room on this one. What will the position be with regard to the lease of SJP?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still not sure that anyone's addressed the elephant in the room on this one. What will the position be with regard to the lease of SJP?
I've raised the question several times Hoover but it seems that no one is prepared to answer it - so much for our openness.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, everyone is getting excited about our major development turning out as half the size of a conventional stand. It just reaches over the halfway line and doesn't go anywhere the away end boundary.

It doesn't even utilize all the space behind and below the stand by going out to the Well Street boundary(check the plan). Even Chorlton's plan did that! The net result is that we are losing a major opportunity to gain at least some increase in capacity. The proposal appears to show 14 rows of seats, which I think is only one more than the Doble. Taking the stand back to the Well Street boundary would not only have increased the number of rows but would also have given greater room for facilities underneath the stand. This is myopia in the extreme! It is very difficult (and costly) to alter a building at a later stage. Why not do it in the first place and forget about the away end if resources are so limited?

Perhaps Phil Bater's report gives a clue? In it he says that Yelverton properties employ their own architect. If, as I suspect he is also designing this stand, then I fear it is inevitable that it is built down to a cost rather than up to a standard.