• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why is the Supporters Trust Silent?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Could contributors please keep to whatever the subject matter of this thread is, and please avoid trading insults.

Ta.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Like when you call people ‘fruit loop anarchists’ and ‘Marxists’?
The first was because Ramone attacked me. Like everyone on here, I have a right to defend myself. In terms of the word Marxist, I'm not sure it's a pejorative word. It depends on your world view. I don't agree with the central tenets of Marxism as I don't think it's based on reality, but others like you do believe in Marxism and that's fine.

Fareham Grecian

The first was because Ramone attacked me. Like everyone on here, I have a right to defend myself. In terms of the word Marxist, I'm not sure it's a pejorative word. It depends on your world view. I don't agree with the central tenets of Marxism as I don't think it's based on reality, but others like you do believe in Marxism and that's fine.
Yes - so you mean ‘Marxist’ as an insult when you - entirely wrongly - accuse me of being one.

My point was that you are a hypocrite to use (what you consider) insults while then criticising another poster for playing the man rather the ball.

Reactions: WXF

chrisw

For those of you fervently defending The Trust at all costs, I'm afraid it's not reciprocated. The higher-ups loathe Exeweb. That alone should make you sit up and think. Perhaps it might be worth asking yourself why they have been planning on setting up their own forum on the Trust website...
Over the last few years I have looked at Exeweb for interesting tit-bits about the Club, Trust, team performances etc without necessarily commenting. Bit I have found your posts, edgallois, constantly negative and degrading of what The Trust has done and is continuing to do. I don't have any access to the "inner sanctum" of the "higher-ups" but I do have contact now and again with some who may have a bit of influence but I have never heard the term "loathe" used in regard to Exeweb. The only criticism I have heard surrounds the anonymity of posters; I can see where that argument comes from and perhaps a Trust forum where anonymity is not allowed could work. Anyway, back to my first point - let's keep our posts positive!

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could contributors please keep to whatever the subject matter of this thread is, and please avoid trading insults.

Ta.
All your own fault, you've created a monster matey ! :ROFLMAO:

i8cornwall

I think you miss the whole point of the Trust and to an extent the Club.

Yes, we obviously want to compete at the highest level possible, but the Club primarily serves the community. If we move away from that, then we have no club and no standard of football. Yes, the Trust can be more commercial in what it does, but this should be in creating opportunities from the community work it does rather than the other way around. Also, equating running a business with commercial skills is abit of a stretch. The people I know who are the most commercial are those who've had the opportunity to work across multiple organisations, learning from each as they go, rather than being within an environment which they have control over and don't see anything else of (living in an echo chamber)... Maybe that's why you're so entrenched in your view?!
I think this is an interesting point and actually raises a question that Ive been thinking about for a while now.

If the community stuff the club dose is for the greater good of the club and the city as a whole, which it clear is as my two nephews an example.

Is this being done at the expanse of long term supporters who ultimately are falling between the cracks so to speak and turn up solely for the football?

I’m just interested to hear what people think in a time when the club and trust is asking supporters to dig deep and financially help the club out.

SGF

From the Exeter City's Supporter and Customer Charter season 2019-20:

3.1 This is a good opportunity to remind supporters that the club’s majority shareholder is the Exeter City AFC Supporters Society Limited (a Community Benefit Societies under the Cooperative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014...

3.2 The Trust is registered as an Industrial & Provident Society and is a democratic organisation, existing for the benefit of the community...

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
First they ignore you...
Good idea, thanks for the tip.

Matt Phillips

I think this is an interesting point and actually raises a question that Ive been thinking about for a while now.

If the community stuff the club dose is for the greater good of the club and the city as a whole, which it clear is as my two nephews an example.

Is this being done at the expanse of long term supporters who ultimately are falling between the cracks so to speak and turn up solely for the football?

I’m just interested to hear what people think in a time when the club and trust is asking supporters to dig deep and financially help the club out.
Personally, I think that Community and Fan Engagement are two seperate, but linked, items - both equally as important as each other. What we do in the community creates a goodwill towards the Club around the city which you couldn't get from just focusing on the team and the fans. That brings with it a number of benefits, including politically (imagine if the City Council did something which ultimately led to the collapse of the CCT) but most importantly access to convert people who are not currently fans to being fans.

Without community engagement, we'll only maintain our fanbase over time through children of current fans going and then sticking with the club. Community engagement enables the club to reach people who aren't currently fans, but could be converted. Particularly with children who might end up nagging their parents to go to games if they been visited by a player, or attended one of the courses the CCT run.

Community Engagement is therefore all about accessing people who could be fans, but aren't yet, whereas Fan Engagement is ensuring retention of the fans we do have. Both require different strategies but are equally important if the aim is to grow the club, rather than standstill.

C j phill

Ed - firstly I welcome your input here. I don't necessarily agree with everything you say and some of your ideas are contrary to mine, but I do read your posts with interest, which I use to inform my own view. Your sweeping statements and dismissive attitudes to certain posters is not pleasant to read however.
So here's a question for you. If you were given the keys to a L2 football club in a small provincial city, dominated by tourism, students and a love of an egg shaped ball game, how would you run it? What are the fundamental, structural differences to how ECFC are currently run? Your thoughts, very much appreciated (sincerely).
In a different posting, where Ed engaged in a conversation about whether now was the time for major change in the running of the Club, despite initially offering to explain his views on how the Club could maximise its commercial opportunities, from memory, he ultimately didn't post anything substantive.

I'll be interested to read his reply to your questions.