• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why dont we do a yeovil ?

everexe

I have noticed that once again Yeovil are getting premiership fringe players in on season long loans,
a tradition they started several years ago which has brought them great success year after year, and
look where they are now, why don't we try and do something similar after all Mr Perryman is well
known and respected in the premiership corridors.

If a small town club like Yeovil can achieve such greatness after only a few years in the league then we
are obviously doing something wrong, there motto is achieve by unity, perhaps we could achieve by
following their example.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great success year after year? You're joking right?

Nearly every year they struggle with botched together sides and only very very occasionally do they actually assemble a squad capable of anything other than fighting relegation. Purely down to luck.

Yeovils biggest achievement has been achieving promotion into the football league and maintaining league one status for so long despite looking like they are going to get relegated each year.

I for one do not believe "the yeovil model" is one worth pursuing.

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th

Nearly every year they struggle with botched together sides and only very very occasionally do they actually assemble a squad capable of anything other than fighting relegation. Purely down to luck.

Yeovils biggest achievement has been achieving promotion into the football league and maintaining league one status for so long despite looking like they are going to get relegated each year.

Yeovil do.... and now they are reaping the benefits financialy, perhaps Yeovil's new cycle is about to begin, spend the windfall wisely, improve the squad, and go from strength to strength, whilst we're left fighting relegation out of the football league, with crowds dwindling, a style of play which will only see less through the turnstyles, more budget cuts, and more dross cast off's joining the ranks. Our new cycle started 2 years ago, and shows no sign of stopping!!

Pete Martin (CTID)

To get from a near century of non-league football to the Championship in 10 years seems a pretty unquestionable spell of development to me.

I shall be watching them very closely to see how their recent elevation pans out and I don't agree that it's just down to luck. I would suggest it's much more to do with the existence of a team of people across the football club with ambition drive and energy, unwilling to accept that they are forever consigned to being a lower league team.

Grecian_Jay

Haha yet again Anon shows his fantastic football knowledge! "Yeovil's biggest achievement has been getting promotion into the football league" - really? How about promotion to LEague 1, how about staying there for about 7 years, getting to the playoff final, then getting to antoher playoff final and winning?

People have been saying Yeovil's strategy is short-term for about 7 years now, however people seem to fail to understand that at our level there isn't much difference between a season-long loan and a free transfer on a 1 year contract (which is mainly what we can offer), the bonus being you won't pay as much for them on loan. When they do get a good one in on loan (Madden for example) they sign them permantly.

Fantastic model to follow if you ask me. And yes they probably will get relegated this season but a season at a elvel that we have never reached will do them the world of good.

ECFC Music

Ok you can question their recipe for success ,and maybe their current format isn't for every club, but you are absolutely wrong regarding the club's achievements over the years and i include their time before entry to the football league.
As one who went to school for 2 years in Yeovil and watched them on their old sloping pitch i feel i know something about the spirit of the club and their desire for success.Their achievements from a town much smaller than most clubs enjoy (much smaller than Exeter) have been remarkable over nearly seventy years and they have excelled both in league and cup competitions.Look at their non-league FA Cup giant killing record.

malcolms

Ok you can question their recipe for success ,and maybe their current format isn't for every club, but you are absolutely wrong regarding the club's achievements over the years and i include their time before entry to the football league.
As one who went to school for 2 years in Yeovil and watched them on their old sloping pitch i feel i know something about the spirit of the club and their desire for success.Their achievements from a town much smaller than most clubs enjoy (much smaller than Exeter) have been remarkable over nearly seventy years and they have excelled both in league and cup competitions.Look at their non-league FA Cup giant killing record.
I thought you would have realised, Anon is there to deflect any obvious or implied criticism from the current setup...As Poults used to say a D-lock is hardly the most subtle of implements....

East Devon Clown

Putting the fun and the mental back into fundament
Nobody remembers the clubs that bring in a bunch of loan players and then get relegated. It isn't always a recipe for success. Also if those players are pulling up trees, there is always the risk of the season being disrupted when they are recalled.

Grecian_Jay

Nobody remembers the clubs that bring in a bunch of loan players and then get relegated. It isn't always a recipe for success. Also if those players are pulling up trees, there is always the risk of the season being disrupted when they are recalled.
What you'll find is that you can do a season-long loan with an opion to buy at anytime during that loan period. This is suuposedly what Yeovil did with Madden, they brought him in on loan with an option to buy for £80k (alledgedly) and they took that option up after a couple months.

rick whitemore

I think the reason why Tisdale doesn't bring in many loan players is because he has a poor record of bringing in decent ones.