• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Who the hell will win the next general election ?

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Finally, the British electorate would not have Neil Kinnock and I doubt that they want Millipede.
The British electorate did not specifically vote for a Con/Dem coalition, but that's what it got.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting slant on the leaders vs their parties over on UK Polling Report based on some polling by Lord Ashcroft:

UK Polling Report said:
Ashcroft did ask one interesting new question – a forced choice asking if people wanted Labour & Miliband to win, Labour despite Miliband, Miliband despite Labour, and the equivalent options for the Conservatives. The balance of opinion was 54% Conservative/Cameron and 46% Labour/Miliband, but the splits were interesting. Amongst Tory voters 75% wanted to see Cameron & the Conservatives win the election. Amongst Labour voters only 37% were happy with Labour and Miliband, 47% said they wanted Labour in government, even if it meant Miliband as PM. Amongst Liberal Democrat voters 66% opted for the Conservatives/Cameron, but mostly because they’d rather Cameron remained PM even if it meant the Conservatives in power. Amongst UKIP voters 66% opted for Conservatives/Cameron, 30% saying they’d want to keep Cameron even if meant the Tories, 26% because they’d rather keep the Tories even if meant Cameron.
One surprise for me is the Lib Dem vote in terms of having either Cameron or Millipede in charge, but then I suppose a lot of the now departed Lib Dem support came from fairly "soft" areas of LD support mainly from those left of centre who "negatively voted" LD to keep the Conservatives out.

Alistair20000

The British electorate did not specifically vote for a Con/Dem coalition, but that's what it got.
In one sense you are right as that option was not on the menu on polling day. On the other hand, the 2010 result told us this:

1) Labour was resoundingly kicked out with a derisory 29% of the popular vote but with nearly 100 more seats than Johnny Major salvaged with a bigger share in the popular vote in the 1997 tram crash. On any analysis Labour lost the 2010 election.
2) The Conservatives won over 100 seats but fell short of an overall majority. They were the primary gainers.
3) The Lib Dems lost 5 seats on a slightly higher % of the popular vote than in 2005.

All of that suggests that a Con/Lib Dem coalition was the natural consequence of the hand delivered to the politicians by the electorate. We got what we voted for.

Mr Jinx

I think what the 2010 GE result told us was that although the electorate were pretty fed up with Gordon Brown they were not wholly convinced by David Cameron.

angelic upstart

I think what the 2010 GE result told us was that although the electorate were pretty fed up with Gordon Brown they were not wholly convinced by David Cameron.
I think the same will happen next time, UKIP will gain a few percent of the vote and the Greens will possibly double their percentage but still be nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
This poll today showing number of seat won't please people

CON 297 LAB 292 LD 24 SNP 12 UKIP 3 PC 2 GRN 1

Alistair20000

This poll today showing number of seat won't please people

CON 297 LAB 292 LD 24 SNP 12 UKIP 3 PC 2 GRN 1
A possible outcome but I expect the Lib Dems to do rather better.

Alistair20000

Pretty much my point Jinxster.

Mr Jinx

Still on for the maximum of 29 LD seats sportsman's bet Al?

Pretty much my point Jinxster.
With the 2015 election it'll be a case of the electorate being a bit fed up with David Cameron, but not wholly convinced by Millipede. When will this spineless charade end?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I briefly saw a report in one of the Sunday papers, saying that if the vote in a constituency moves from Labour and Tories to Ukip, that the Lib Dems could be the beneficiaries of that and be able to retain many of their seats. I didn't read the whole of the article to see how well their theory stood up.