• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Who is scared?

Willy Nilly

Not scared at all. There are enough crap teams in League One that we should be fine so long as Tisdale has some b*ll*cks and Cureton leaving doesn't mean we revert to the awful negative style of play from our first season in L1.

Ex4-1904

Trust Tis he no's what he is doing

wonderelite

With Cureton signing for Orient and a list of other players that may leave....will we have the fire power all over the pitch to push for a playoff place or let alone stay in the league? ;)
Very worried indeed, we have no '20 goal a season man', we have lost our playmaker, and the person who can get us out of trouble with one moment of brilliance, and the midfield is looking very bare. i predict 15th.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Very worried indeed, we have no '20 goal a season man', we have lost our playmaker, and the person who can get us out of trouble with one moment of brilliance, and the midfield is looking very bare. i predict 15th.
We didn't have a 20 goal a season man before we signed Cureton and we didn't know that we'd got one when we did.

I think we do need someone else up front, O'Flynn doesn't do it for me, but other than that i'm not too worried about what we've already got. We have to be mindful that we've been lucky with injuries though and i'm not sure Nardiello can last a season without having a spell(s) out.

scottus86

We didn't have a 20 goal a season man before we signed Cureton and we didn't know that we'd got one when we did.

I think we do need someone else up front, O'Flynn doesn't do it for me, but other than that i'm not too worried about what we've already got. We have to be mindful that we've been lucky with injuries though and i'm not sure Nardiello can last a season without having a spell(s) out.
Exactly, no one expected Cureton to score 20 last season, infact some people including myself were worried that he was another over the hill journey man with no pace. (how wrong was I proved, apart from the journey man part) Who is to say that someone else won't step up to it this season. Cureton isn't a worry for me, teams will always score goal.

My main worry for next season is missing Harley, he was the creative heart in our side, and even when in quiet games could just provide that stroke of genius. I'm hoping our new signing Bauza can provide the strokes of genius, and that Noble can pick out those passes in behind that O'Flynn would love and pick the passes into Nardiello's feet so he can turn and run at people.

I'm not scared for next season, just curious on how quickly our first 11 can adapt to the changes.

wemissseaborne

not scared, but slightly apprehensive at this moment in time.

We've lost the spine of the side that served our club so well over the last 3rd of the 2010/11 season, Hamer, Taylor, Harley & Cureton, & losing the spine of a side spells trouble, just need to look at Swindon Town.

So far, we've replaced Hamer with Pidgley, I'm not convinced from what I've seen of Pidge that he's any better than Krysiak, Coles has come in for Taylor, yes Taylor was not the rock of previous seasons due to his injury, but Coles has come from a side who's defence was little better than ours last season, and can Coles provide the off the pitch influence that Matty always provided? Bauza in for Harley, I'm not convinced El Guillem, who although was the outstanding player, but in a very poor Northampton side end of last season, and in a division lower, is the answer here. Tis has stated no replacement needed for Cureton, however can/will Nards, O'Flynn & Logan step up & provide enough goals? I do however think Tis once again is playing his cards very close to his chest, (after all this time last year we didn't even know Cureton was on our radar), and has something lined up for pre-season trials.

At the moment I can't see us keeping up the year on year progression, so as for the play off's, or even 7th, out of reach with the current squad. I also can't see us being too near to the bottom four to cause any concerns, unless we lose the likes of Dunne, Sercombe & Duffy in the January transfer window. So if we finish next season with the players we have, I can see highest finish of 12th, lowest of 15th.

Last edited:

hatch4england

We'll be fine. Kept fit, Nardiello is a really class act.
Other than the Tranmere blow-up we were really tight at the back at the end of the year and Artur has the makings of a really good keeper.
Bauza will add some creativity and who knows, 't lad up front may actually turn into a player (some do!!!). He certainly didn't look out of his depth at Hillsborough. Don't forget how much better Golborne got over the year, and Troy. We won't miss Taylor who looked lacking concentration and pace when he came back from his injury (ie was even slower...). I suspect we saw Cureton's best season and he's on the way down.

So, whilst I'd like to see another steely midfielder and possibly a really quick front player I don't think we'll be flirting with the drop. On the other hand, I don't see us in the playoffs either. Mid-table is just fine. I suspect we'll be tough to beat,as well.

Roll on Stevenage.

Sprocket

2 years ago we were desperate to finish 5th bottom, now we're terrified we won't make the play-offs.

I think we should all just relax and enjoy a season of probable mid-table mediocrity, possible play off contendership.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
not scared, but slightly apprehensive at this moment in time.

We've lost the spine of the side that served our club so well over the last 3rd of the 2010/11 season, Hamer, Taylor, Harley & Cureton, & losing the spine of a side spells trouble, just need to look at Swindon Town.

So far, we've replaced Hamer with Pidgley, I'm not convinced from what I've seen of Pidge that he's any better than Krysiak, Coles has come in for Taylor, yes Taylor was not the rock of previous seasons due to his injury, but Coles has come from a side who's defence was little better than ours last season, and can Coles provide the off the pitch influence that Matty always provided? Bauza in for Harley, I'm not convinced El Guillem, who although was the outstanding player, but in a very poor Northampton side end of last season, and in a division lower, is the answer here. Tis has stated no replacement needed for Cureton, however can/will Nards, O'Flynn & Logan step up & provide enough goals? I do however think Tis once again is playing his cards very close to his chest, (after all this time last year we didn't even know Cureton was on our radar), and has something lined up for pre-season trials.

At the moment I can't see us keeping up the year on year progression, so as for the play off's, or even 7th, out of reach with the current squad. I also can't see us being too near to the bottom four to cause any concerns, unless we lose the likes of Dunne, Sercombe & Duffy in the January transfer window. So if we finish next season with the players we have, I can see highest finish of 12th, lowest of 15th.
Nah. Swindon were different in that they lost key players that carried the others. The only big loss IMO is Harley, the rest you mention (and I really dont know why you've mentioned Taylor who was really sh*te last year) are 100% replaceable. The majority of the squad have been together for a few years now - I'd wager that we'll improve position wise this coming season.

Tisdale clearly won't leave his squad as it is, of course he'll add at least a couple more - I don't understand that every summer there's a clamour for players and OTT concern - PT has often brought in late recruitments to supplement his squad and I think he'll do that again. Reckon we'll have some ex Premiership youngsters on trial over the next couple of weeks...