• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Where are our fans?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Haven't been to too many homes this year, but have to say the atmosphere numbers or not is terrible. People took the **** put of the drums and flags etc but the alternative is fuxkin shiittte

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Well we won 3 on the trot and played fairly well in all of them at the start of the season if you count that as decent? If not then I can't help you.
Wow - in three seasons we've been 'fairly well' for three games. Well sign me up for a lifetime season ticket if that's the case.

loobygrecian

I think the success of the Chiefs may have lured a few people away, also many people are like myself now pick and choose what games to go to and some of this is down to money, you have to ask yourself if you can justify spending around £40-£50 to go and watch City, yesterday was appalling, what is happening?? No atmosphere from the bank at all, the football wasn't great either, I am sorry but I would rather save my hard earned pennies in future.

ecfc70

I dont think the rise of the Chiefs have that much of a impact, maybe the odd 500 have crossed over to shandy park but the price over there is a lot more than to watch city

I put it down to overall cost and a lack of funds for those who used to be able to afford it
If you were to add up the differences between the 2 games from ticket prices, bus fares/car parking, pasty/kfc, pint of beer, petrol, etc, in the original post then i would imagine you could have taken an extra person to watch yesterdays game at SJP

loobygrecian

It's not that much more really to watch the chiefs

Willy Nilly

Chiefs and finances. Many people have had to choose one or t'other and have chosen Chiefs over City.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
In the past two seasons and this one so far we have lost I believe nearly half of our home games.

This season five out of nine
Last season twelve out of twenty five
Season before nine out of twenty eight

26 out of 62 which is 42%

Then out of the other thirty six , fifteen have been draws so and most of those I suggest we're pretty poor games to watch.

This means we still win one in three but it doesn't seem like it as in those seasons we have had several little clusters of victories which space the others out.

Then if you add in the fact we went down and have been playing at a lower level for the past 34 homes while generally performing well away the results gained at home have felt even worse than they have been in comparison in my opinion.

I do agree that finances will have an impact and for some the chiefs maybe a factor, but these would be I think far less of an issue if we were winning more than half of our homes and lost less than we drew.

Bittners a Legend

I think there are a multitude of factors in play but the one at the centre of most of them is surely lack of money/price of entry. We will have lost fans to the Chiefs, we will have lost fans through apathy now that we've been back in the league for a few years and we will have lost fans to the poor results and turgid style of place but the main factor influencing most of this is cash. In my opinion it is quite simply too expensive.

I don't think the club helped themselves when announcing how lucky we were that prices were being frozen and lamely attempting to make out that we should be really grateful for that decision; it was just irritating.

I have some sympathy for the decision makers on this one because there are obviously a certain number of loyal fans who will keep turning up and paying but the entry price means the club overall gets far less of my cash than it would at something like £13/£14. There must be plenty of others like me... accompanying the money thing is habit...I suspect lots of fans put off by the price are now out of the habit of going which may be another reason behind low attendances even after a decent start to the season.

I accept things are tight but I'd like to see the club run some sort of initiative and see how many we can get back in. Pick a game in 4-8 weeks time, offer a special £10 deal in the Big Bank but only on advanced tickets and actually advertise it properly. It might encourage people to use the online system and give you some rough idea of possible numbers at a lower price.

I would add one final overriding problem is the ludicrous wages paid to League Two players...and in our case the ludicrous amount of money squandered on non-playing squad members. I'd love to know how close to the 55% limit we are. If we spent less behind the scenes we could afford to charge less to get in.

Last edited:

Willy Nilly

Are other league 2 clubs seeing similar drops?

Oldsmobile-88

Are other league 2 clubs seeing similar drops?
I expect a few have,but not many have had the 25% drop the Grecians have had in the past couple of seasons.A trend that looks set to continue.