• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

When Honesty is not the Best Policy.....

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is your bullying, insecure line manager called Trump by any chance?

DB9

When i say "On Here" I mean my laptop. More of a Brent Character than Trump, More Pathetic too

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

A few points. Make sure that your notes and records are not on your office computer/system. Wait until after you hear the result of your job application before taking further action (your new prospective employer may take up a reference from your boss before offering you the post !).

If you are turned down, present a fully detailed FORMAL WRITTEN complaint about the ******** to the GM or HR, and get a signed receipt, which will ensure it has to be taken seriously. Use your phone to record all further conversations with the Line Manager or ask for a witness of your choosing to be present.

I haven't worked for any company for many years, being happily self employed, but the system was that to dismiss you for any other reason other than a really serious offence required a verbal warning first, followed by two further written warnings. Perhaps others can correct me if this no longer applies ? The ******** seems to have little or no appreciation of employment law, and you could possibly turn the tables and make his life a nightmare !

Anyway, best of luck, and hopefully you will land the job and render all this unnecessary !

iscalad

If he's put you back on probation, ask him to put it in writing and give the reasons why he has done so.

IndoMike

Usually the "system" will support whoever is higher up the food chain. In addition, it will never again be comfortable to work in this environment again. I would go see the big boss with copies of any written evidence you have and tell him/her that you love the job but you feel you are being bullied by the line manager and ask him/ her for their advice. Put the ball in the court of the boss.

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I'm no employment law expert, as i'm about to demonstrate, but i'd seriously question whether he's actually allowed to put you back on probation. Obviously it'll all depend on your contract but the point of a probationary period is that it's an opportunity when you first start employment for the employer to assess if you're capable of doing the job, identify any training needs etc and for you to see if you are happy in the job. I can only speak for myself but if having completed my initial probationary period which was, i think, 6 months (it was a long time ago) my employer had problems with my performance then i wouldn't have been put back on probation, it would have been handled through structured performance management and, ultimately, disciplinary proceedings.
A probationary period may be implemented by any company when they feel the employee has done something sever enough to warrant a cooling off period.

For example ... An employee was found guilty of theft from a local shop on his way to work which makes the local papers and named the company who he worked for, The company in question bring the person in for details about the theft and as it brought the companys name into disrepute by association they placed the employee on a 6 month probation period to be of good character and not to steal again.

So basically a non written warning to be a good boy, but being put on probation for going for an interview does seem rather OTT and the person in question sounds like he is on very dodgy ground in doing so for such a trivial matter.

grounds for constructive dismissal for sure, and go find your local CAB office for further information in this area.

DB9

Thanks to everyone for the wise words and what i should do. Today I have the offer of two jobs so this weekend i will be mulling over which one to take and on Monday will take my letter of resignation in with me. I did start this thread as a warning to others as it seems like you have to lie when it comes to this and I've certainly learnt that lesson. I will have great pleasure in handing my letter and will send a copy to HR with an attachment detailing what was said to me when i first said about an interview by my line manager

Avening Posse

Good for you DB9, and all the best in whichever new role you choose

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Keep copies of everything ! Just in case your new employer does ask why you left to the old employer.

At least then you can show them your reasons for leaving.

DB9

Keep copies of everything ! Just in case your new employer does ask why you left to the old employer.

At least then you can show them your reasons for leaving.
Oh I'm a stickler for that sort of thing ramone, Its all on here on me lap top so just a case of printing off if needed