• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What would Argyle going down mean to you?

LBDN

See, you are getting it now.

Argyle = Rivals

Torquay = Mild amusement.

Wasn't hard was it ?

:cool:

come on ********.

do yourself a favour and re-read the original post.

This is exactly my point....

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just so as I can try and gauge where you are coming from LBDN, how old are you?

Stuart Storer's Tache

admittedly i can't speak on behalf of all argyle fans but of the ones i know personally, they have absolutely no interest in Exeter as a rivalry anymore.

Are they aged 16 or under or have been supporting Argyle since 2002?

LBDN

Just so as I can try and gauge where you are coming from LBDN, how old are you?
i shall put my point in simple terms

Torquay claim Exeter to be their main rival.
Torquay are certainly not Exeter's main rival nor are they a equal rival with argyle.

Exeter claim Argyle are their most hated rival.......

a number of Argyle fans i know (17) (whilst noting the local rivalry with Exeter) appear to lean towards having a stronger rivalry with clubs in higher divisions now as they rarely play eachother these days and from an arrogant point of view see exeter as a little club compared to them. (their views not mine)

In simplistic terms my general point is you would assume that in terms of hatred you would assume that Torquay would hate exeter as much as exeter would hate torquay and yet exeter have far more hatred for argyle than they ever have for torquay (as to quote a song "we only laugh at the torquay")

Returning to my point from comments solely based on "argyle fans that i am aware of" .....It would appear that there is less hatred for exeter from those argyle fans than there is from exeter fans towards argyle. It doesnt appear to be a shared hatred at the moment thats for sure.

Therefore my point was based on obsevations that you have 3 rival devon teams where the same level of hatred does not appear to be returned from the rival club.

It's only 17 argyle fans i talking about and i have stipulated this a view times now.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

That still hasn't answered how old you are and, depending on your answer, could make a whole load of difference as to why you (and you Argiggle pals) hold this viewpoint.

just-an-egg

as i have never seen us play the sc-um before id love it to happen, just to wipe the smug look of there fans faces

LBDN

admittedly i can't speak on behalf of all argyle fans but of the ones i know personally, they have absolutely no interest in Exeter as a rivalry anymore.

Are they aged 16 or under or have been supporting Argyle since 2002?
no because like i said in the last sentance, they have no/little interest in exeter as a rivalry "anymore". (only they...not all argyle fans) 20-25 Years ago the rivalry was intense, but these days its not on the same level.

Its quite a surprising reaction to this as these are merely my observations rather than me forming my own opinion for people to object to.

The clubs rivalry pre-2002 is irrelevant really as its an "observation" based on how the rivalry appears to have lessened since argyle reached the championship and city had gone down to the BSP and thus talking about how it is today and finally back in the league.

Rather than object to an observation, perhaps its better to have some argyle fans comment on the subject matter for a balanced view as having loads of city fans dictating whether this is a equal rivalry without any comments from them isn't exactly adding anything.

I am not stating there is not a rivalry. It feels as if its not mutually shared hatred in 2009 and it certainly doesnt seem as tense as it did 20 odd years ago but like i previously stated the league difference is clearly a contributory factor.

Al

Right here and now it would mean nothing to me. I'm 46. At 16 I had to spend weeks on end in Plymouth doing an apprenticeship and being the only Grecian was not always easy. The rivalry was real... but that was a long time ago.

I know they don't give us a second thought these days, and I feel the same towards them.

On the other hand my brother, also a Grecian, lives in Torquay and the rivalry, although good natured for the most part, has had some point to it in recent times.

I look forward to the day when Torquay still hate us and we don't give them a second thought, while my disdain for argyle is rekindled, for it will hopefully be due to our continued success and promotion... but right now I couldn't give a flying f*ck about them.

LBDN

That still hasn't answered how old you are and, depending on your answer, could make a whole load of difference as to why you (and you Argiggle pals) hold this viewpoint.

So what difference does this make in terms of age? My observations are based on the rivalry as it is today not 20 years ago when we both know it was more intense then than it is now.

I am aware of the hatred exeter currently have for argyle and the mere fact we have a thread under this topic still goes to show the level of hatred for them.

However it "appears" from the small selection of argyle fans i talk to they do not appear to share the same views.

angelic upstart

The rivalry isn't as "intense" as you put it, because we haven't played for a few years. We're the "lesser" team in terms of league position currently and therefore we look on with a certain amount of jealousy. I'd imagine Burnley did similar to Blackburn in the 90's.

Rest assured, Argyle still despise us and much as we hate them. They can pretend to have rivalry with Bristol City or laughably Luton but we are there rivals.

Bristol City and Luton view Argyles dislike for them in a similar way we do to Torquay.

These 17 Argyle fans you know, who do they consider their biggest rivals?