• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What next for the 1931 Fund

Bittners a Legend

the thing that has always been problematic about the 'funding an extra player we wouldn't otherwise have signed' is that he will,by definition, be a marginal choice with naturally low prospects of success. To put it the other way round you say to Tis 'its either 29 0r 30 pros; if we didn't have the 1931 fund money who is the first choice of the 30 to do without?' - and that's the 1931 player.

Similarly we rule out either experienced players or our own youngsters. Otherwise after Tom Nichols made his debut at 17 as a sub in League One at Hillsborough we could have gone for him and pretty much have been guaranteed first team games and a successful outcome. And Cummins was the product of unusual circumstances; but a huge success in his part in transforming City in the second half of 2014.

so there's a tension between the purist 1931 objectives and maximisation of (apparent*) success and therefore attractiveness to new members . (*the success is apparent only because - as the Tom Nichols example shows - it appropriates successes that would have happened anyway)

Like TVR ,as a contributor, I personally am agnostic about the different possible 1931 philosophies.
I agree entirely wtih this.

I think the way the fund should work is to agree to not fund a player over the age of say 23 but rather than pay the players entire wages seek to contribute towards a player that might command higher wages that Tisdale really wants. Essentially rather than adding an extra player that Tisdale essentially didn't want enough to sign in the first place the fund could help to bring in someone that he does want but perhaps can't justify because of higher wages.

The obvious target for this fund is youth players released by Premier League sides, ala James Dunne, who probably wouldn't sign here for £12k a year but might for £24k a year. The non-league thing is a good idea too if it worked on the same principal of bringing in a young, decent player who commands higher wages and those wages are split.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's the betting that the next no. 31 will be Alex Fisher? Or is he to old at 25?

Last edited:

kirt f 1

What's the betting that the next no. 31 will be Alex Fisher? Or is he to old at 25?
odds on in my opinion

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally think it should be used to take a punt on someone currently in non-league.
If there were some criteria like this around the type of player I would be more interested in contributing

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Wasn't certain who it was but someone appeared to be wearing the no 31 shirt last night. Was no name on the back of the shirt but was someone who started the game. Significant or coincidence?

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't certain who it was but someone appeared to be wearing the no 31 shirt last night. Was no name on the back of the shirt but was someone who started the game. Significant or coincidence?
Yep, it was Fisher.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, it was Fisher.
Sounds like he's nailed on to me. I don't mind him signing as long as we get Hoskins signed and fully fit.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Speculation, but as the 1931 fund wants to raise 30k maybe that is what Fisher would sign for? If Tisdale decides to sign him then possibly the playing budget will provide whatever part of the 30k that isn't raised. Would be great if the target was met but I would imagine it wouldn't as its quite an ambitious target imo.

CWH-NYC_

Speculation, but as the 1931 fund wants to raise 30k maybe that is what Fisher would sign for? If Tisdale decides to sign him then possibly the playing budget will provide whatever part of the 30k that isn't raised. Would be great if the target was met but I would imagine it wouldn't as its quite an ambitious target imo.
Can't imagine it will- I wrote to them with the offer of some wedge a few days ago, response nada!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Can't imagine it will- I wrote to them with the offer of some wedge a few days ago, response nada!
Al is cycling around Scotland at the moment. I'll mention it to him later.