• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I wouldn’t mind if we did a Wycombe pop are head up in the championship for a season, as long as it was done sensibly and left us ok financially. Obviously wouldn’t want to do a Yeovil…
You mean get a load of players in on loan offering them 3+ year contracts to get them up into the Championship then not pay them the full amount and come crashing back down again to end up in non league ?

Exactly. We can't replicate what Bournemouth have done under Trust ownership.
That’s a different discussion if it can be done under trust ownership, doesn’t change the point a predominantly lower league club can become more successful and unexpectedly go higher in the pyramid…

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
That’s a different discussion if it can be done under trust ownership, doesn’t change the point a predominantly lower league club can become more successful and unexpectedly go higher in the pyramid…
It's possible, yeah...if you have very wealthy owners.

So, unless we sell to very rich owners it's highly unlikely to happen.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dropping back to league two after we had worked so hard to get out of it would be a disaster. If that's the outcome at the end of the season not only would we need to change the manager but the structure of the club.
IMHO.

It's possible, yeah...if you have very wealthy owners.

So, unless we sell to very rich owners it's highly unlikely to happen.

Erm yeah that is exactly what I’m saying! Bournemouth fans in 2008/9 season wouldn’t have thought they would be a premier league club, because it was unlikely, but they are and it CAN happen. Never said it’s going to or likely, but it’s not impossible…

Reactions: Ash

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Erm yeah that is exactly what I’m saying! Bournemouth fans in 2008/9 season wouldn’t have thought they would be a premier league club, because it was unlikely, but they are and it CAN happen. Never said it’s going to or likely, but it’s not impossible…
I think we are both missing each others points here. :LOL:

I'm essentially opening up the ECFC ownership debate again, which has been done to death.

I think we are both missing each others points here. :LOL:

I'm essentially opening up the ECFC ownership debate again, which has been done to death.
Yep I was trying to avoid that discussion 🤣but agree Bournemouth got there because of heavy investment…

DPR1901

Exactly this. The club must show ambition and strive to achieve. Ultimately there's no point being in League 1 if we're resigned to never reaching the next level.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dropping back to league two after we had worked so hard to get out of it would be a disaster. If that's the outcome at the end of the season not only would we need to change the manager but the structure of the club.
IMHO.
Dropping down a league would be as a result of being one of the four worst teams in the league not per se anything to do with ownership. Last time I looked Pete Winklefella had put a handsome amount of money into MK yet .......

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dropping down a league would be as a result of being one of the four worst teams in the league not per se anything to do with ownership. Last time I looked Pete Winklefella had put a handsome amount of money into MK yet .......
This is true. Having more money doesn't mean we can't still end up back in League 2 or worse, but it's realistically the only way we'd ever play Championship football.