• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Grecianman135

Funny how everyone's now a Sparkes fan. When Scott leaves and scores six in his first five games for his new team we'll all be singing his praises and moaning about why we let him go too I expect.
If Scott scores six in his first five at a new club it'll be a public holiday.... 👍

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
When Sparkes left I was unperturbed. Liked him as local boy, good left foot and decision maker. When I saw full back replacements as Harper and Mitchell up the left and Rankine and (later) Niskanen up the right I thought that GC was sending out the message that he was planning fast and adaptable wing play. I must confess, I welcomed it and don't think Sparkes would be of great benefit in our current situation.

Totally honest I'd rather have Caprice back.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Funny how everyone's now a Sparkes fan. When Scott leaves and scores six in his first five games for his new team we'll all be singing his praises and moaning about why we let him go too I expect.
Sparkes had some really good moments in a City shirt, Scott hasn't and won't. If Scott left and scored 6 in 5 for another club I'd think how weird it is that he can produce for another club. Sparkes was good for us, his downfall was the kicking the dugout and subsequent fallout with Caldwell following his substitution.

Bat Fastard

Sparkes had some really good moments in a City shirt, Scott hasn't and won't. If Scott left and scored 6 in 5 for another club I'd think how weird it is that he can produce for another club. Sparkes was good for us, his downfall was the kicking the dugout and subsequent fallout with Caldwell following his substitution.
didn't he sub him after about 20mins? - weird man management from caldwell as i remember it. agree about scott, he'll be in the conference in a couple of seasons

IMG_6727.jpeg
Scott might score 6 in his first 5 years at his next club

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
didn't he sub him after about 20mins? - weird man management from caldwell as i remember it. agree about scott, he'll be in the conference in a couple of seasons
I'd be surprised if he made a regular at that level, although let's not forget he's not fit, is played out of position, has poor players around him, and Hull paid 1m for him so he may come good in the future!

Ash

In that vein I'm pretty sure most posters accept that GC was between a rock and a hard place during the summer tfr window plus a slight hiccup in the Academy production line not helped by Pond de-camping in 2022. Although the bald statistics of the past seven league results are stark one has to accept that against Wigan, Barnsley, Charlton and Northampton in particular we did not get the rub of the green. In reality the threadbare team selected , because GC was having to contend with a spate of injuries to key players plus international call ups, gave it their all. I remain convinced that the current players want to play for GC and that he will excel in the January tfr window and keep City in EFL 1. Remarkably this is such a tight league with a win tonight putting City back in the top ten whilst another defeat could see us in the bottom six.
I so hope you're right...

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, that's the point I'm making. The fact he didn't want to sign a contract doesn't mean we shouldn't offer him one if offering him one triggers compensation.
Bit risky that - what if nobody comes in for him and the club's stuck paying the wages of a player the manager doesn't want?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
He subbed him and got instant rewards when Demi smashed in a worldie within 10 minutes!

Mid Devon Grecian

To average 51 minutes a game and still get 4 assists before November is impressive stuff

Always going to be that useful option for Pompey and we definitely miss his quality deliveries into the box

GC didn't want him because he's not quick enough for his game... but MT got the best out of him
Yet we get Jules in that position!!!

No pace
Can’t cross
Can’t shoot

Certainly not GC’s finest hour binning off Jack.

We’ve got 6 centre half’s , says it all really. Squad unbalanced.