• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Webby - Cards on the table.

argylepaul

Well, with the whole of Devon going football crazy this weekend, for the biggest of the three Devon derbies, between Torquay, and its sister club, Plymouth Argyle, I would like to draw readers' attention to this beefy hardman, David (Dave) Webb, who funnily enough was player manager at the Plainmoor outfit in 1984.

Did anyone have this trading card in their playground collection?
Yes, a lot of you old enough must have done, as here was one legend who certainly wouldn't have made for viable 'swapsies'.
Soccer mad kids everywhere would have had sextuples of this Chelsea pin-up, as the manufacturers bulked up their packets to unsuspecting children with multiple copies of the likes of him.
This was in the days before Trading Standards and the European Convention on Human Rights applied to football cigarette and bubble gum cards, so the manufacturers could just get away with it.
If you remember, even children's magazine programme Magpie got involved, when they (allegedly) incited young boys in shorts to send parcel bombs to A&BC Chewing Gum's offices in Cricklewood.

If you take a close look at Webby's card, notice the stripe on the shorts! Stripes on shorts were a new and refreshing feature to playing kit, and helped to take away the misery of the 3 day week and your parents' house burning down from a careless candle.
There was a discernible ruggedness about this right back, with his granite jaw, bumhole dimple and careful side parting. He was a real gays ungay, if you will.

Ironically, Webby was boss at Torquay, when Argyle played there in the 1984 Milk Cup, First Round, Second Leg. Incidentally, for the benefit of Gulls fans, Argyle won both legs 1-0. Though he managed the English Riviera club, he was never President.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
F*cking hell Poll***** (see, I remembered). Webby was a *****-cat compared with old Chopper Harris mate.

argylepaul

But, they were both mild-mannered men, compared to Chelsea's 1970s hooligans. Shed loads of them gave me an exciting introduction to my first pater unsupervised Argyle game in March 1975, when Chelsea's c*ckney toughs (unsuccessfully) tried to take the Devonport End.
I have to say, I was a frightened rabbit, but did enjoy the post match action from the safety of the windows of the Central Park café, as both sets of fans exchanged pennants and rosettes down by the allotments.

Poultice

when Chelsea's c*ckney toughs (unsuccessfully) tried to take the Devonport End.
Laugh ? I nearly did.

They ran you like the pack of pussies you have always been, except where women and children are the targets.

!984 ? The three day week was a decade before Porky, Shirley an old scrote like you can remember that and petrol rationing ?

LammieLammieLammie

But, they were both mild-mannered men, compared to Chelsea's 1970s hooligans. Shed loads of them gave me an exciting introduction to my first pater unsupervised Argyle game in March 1975, when Chelsea's c*ckney toughs (unsuccessfully) tried to take the Devonport End.
I have to say, I was a frightened rabbit, but did enjoy the post match action from the safety of the windows of the Central Park café, as both sets of fans exchanged pennants and rosettes down by the allotments.
**Put's on Max Boyce voice** ...I was there...at the Devonport End with my dad, first taste of football violence. I think the gargs lost 3-0 that day IIRC... seem to remember Finneston scoring.

argylepaul

Laugh ? I nearly did.

They ran you like the pack of pussies you have always been, except where women and children are the targets.

!984 ? The three day week was a decade before Porky, Shirley an old scrote like you can remember that and petrol rationing ?
You replied too quickly, and so were a decade or so out. The Three day week applies to the stripe on the shorts only.
On the subject of the Devonport End, Chelsea didn't get in, though they had a fine go. Lots of noise and screams, and of course, a 22,000 odd crowd!
It was probably down to Old Bill rather than Argyle fans waving rattles.
Knowledgable on all this, you sound like a former yob, Poultarse.

Though I was more into Dr Who and the Autons, from what I could see (from a safe distance), it was just a load of flared trousers and beetle crusher shoes, so it was hard to tell who was who, though at times, the silk scarves tied to wrists were a giveaway. I would say fairly even. In those days, Argyle were in the market for hooliganism, though to be fair they got smacked on the arse by Nottingham Forest in August 1975. I was only 8, so I was just a scared bystander.

There's nothing to be gained in putting down Argyle for their hooliganism. Hooliganism is nothing to be proud of, or be boastful of for anyone.

Last edited:

argylepaul

**Put's on Max Boyce voice** ...I was there...at the Devonport End with my dad, first taste of football violence. I think the gargs lost 3-0 that day IIRC... seem to remember Finneston scoring.
Yes 3-0. Chelsea wore orangey/red shirts.

Poultice

There's nothing to be gained in putting down Argyle for their hooliganism. Hooliganism is nothing to be proud of, or be boastful of for anyone.
I'm the last person you need to point that out Porky, you and your pals Webbed Feet and I'm not fat Dave are the hoolie wannabes around here, they do the threats, we just quiver in our boots because they are so scary.

You don't seem too good with dates either, you are 58 not 44.

argylepaul

I'm the last person you need to point that out Porky, you and your pals Webbed Feet and I'm not fat Dave are the hoolie wannabes around here, they do the threats, we just quiver in our boots because they are so scary.

You don't seem too good with dates either, you are 58 not 44.
?
This is a wind up obviously. What are you on about? And who is Fat Dave?

Poultice

?
This is a wind up obviously. What are you on about? And who is Fat Dave?
I will send the Lion around to whisper all the details in your shell like.