• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We would get absolutely rinsed in league one.....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
In football a team seems to only ever be as good as its last couple of games. By that reckoning we are a mid-table League Two team at best.
Maths is clearly not one of your strong points.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
So it looks like we are nailed on for at least the play offs yet I still believe with the current tactics and squad make up we will get smashed by plenty of the sides in the league above. The likes of Woodman, Lloyd James, Jordan Tillson et al will be way out of their depth in league 1.

Looking at our recent results it shows our initial tactics don't work, i.e. we are often negative and defensive from the off, it has often been a blessing in disguise if we go a goal behind as the players often start playing rather than continually been shackled by the game plan, in the league above we won't be able to give better teams leads and expect to keep coming back from an early deficit. The existing tactics will result in plenty of 2, 3, and 4 goal defeats.

If we do get promoted this season I believe Tisdale will leave as I don't feel he believes he can cut it managing ECFC in league 1.

I appreciate some will be all over this post like a cheap suit however if we do get promoted it will be interesting to see how much of the above comes to fruition.

Last edited:

Juan Kossof

I guess the reality is that there isn't that big a gap between the financials in L1 and L2. In L1 we'd (arguably) be less successful which would tend to reduce the numbers of City supporters home and away (perhaps compounded by higher ticket prices), although arguably away support numbers at SJP would rise. Strengthening the squad, paying higher wages, and all that goes with it may not actually improve the Club's financials. Having said that I'd hate there to be a lack of ambition. There are no doubt other contributors who'd have a better idea of the financial reality of L1 than me.

Last edited:

Pobbop

If there is ever a worse football supporter in the World, it's the one whilst in the midst of a promotion campaign whine about how we'd struggle if we went up.

Who gives a ****, honestly, football is about glory, promotions are not something we do every other year, I apparently was taken by my dad in 76-77 but I don't remember it, so three promotions in my almost 40 years of concious-watching, and sometimes unconcious after a bit of a bender. So who bloody cares, I'll worry about this exactly the day after the promotion party, just try to live in the moment and stop being a miserable ****, eh?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ticket prices at SJP will be the same next year L2 or L1 (there has been no general increase IIRC since 2011). Average away ticket price in L1 may be a little higher, but last time I did the detailed numbers 2/3 years ago this was not a big issue. In any case the cost of getting to away games is a bigger factor than the price of the ticket (for example, coach to Cambridge yesterday was £32, ticket advance price was £16 for an adult). From the figures our FD gave to the Trust AGM the base budget for the team will be about the same as this year, but presumably the Board will consider an increase if we go up as predicted income will go up from gates and EFL / FA funding which is significantly higher in L1.

Attendances at SJP should definitely rise, by about 200 or so in L2 assuming we again challenge for promotion / playoffs, and 1,000 in L1, as the new stand and away end will be available and the greater number of clubs with large away followings, especially if Argyle stay in L1.

eurogrecian

What an amazing thread!
Always something to moan about on we Exeweb!
I’ve no idea how we would get on in League 1 if we got there, but I do think we should give it a go!

Red Monster

So it looks like we are nailed on for at least the play offs yet I still believe with the current tactics and squad make up we will get smashed by plenty of the sides in the league above. The likes of Woodman, Lloyd James, Jordan Tillson et al will be way out of their depth in league 1.

Looking at our recent results it shows our initial tactics don't work, i.e. we are often negative and defensive from the off, it has often been a blessing in disguise if we go a goal behind as the players often start playing rather than continually been shackled by the game plan, in the league above we won't be able to give better teams leads and expect to keep coming back from an early deficit. The existing tactics will result in plenty of 2, 3, and 4 goal defeats.

If we do get promoted this season I believe Tisdale will leave as I don't feel he believes he can cut it managing ECFC in league 1.

I appreciate some will be all over this post like a cheap suit however if we do get promoted it will be interesting to see how much of the above comes to fruition.
Your are a complete joke Mystic Meg we’re not in L1 yet and your already writing us off before a balls been kicked.

You keeping banging on about tactics like the manager gets it so wrong we’ve won 22 games only Stanley and Luton
Have won more ,unless your suggesting our squad is so much stronger than every other team in the L2 and we are underachieving
and we should have won 30+ by now.
You do realise our opponents have tactics and a game plan or do you think that doesn’t matter and we should beat them
anyway ?

scottus86

I think if we keep our defence together that will be fine. Apart from Boateng and Taylor our midfield would need a complete make over. Stockley, Jay, Brunt and another (Jamie Mackie anyone?) Would be good for league one too.

triumph

The ideal is a sustained rise, and with the stadium development in progress then we are putting the pieces in place to progress. I remember a number of years ago watching Burton Albion with Nigel Clough playing for them at Clevedon town in a league match. Now he is managing them in the Championship, though it looks like they will be relegated after a few seasons well above our best placed finish, anything is possible?

Legohead

Banned
I think many people are overestimating the quality of league 1. Sure there are some quality teams in there but then also some not so quality teams. Like any league. There is absolutely no reason why this squad couldn't hold it's own in league 1 IMO.