• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC Day 1 - Brazil vs Croatia

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Feckin' dire Ref (n)

Silver fox

2-1 to the hosts after going 1 down

though my samba feeling is draining already thanks to Chiles presentation skills....just shut up Adrian and stick some highlights on or some bikini clad tottie (not francesco)
Your the man....at the moment!!

Alistair20000

chocolate wristed 'keeper.
A tad harsh Lionel.

I would like to see Pate's opinion.

LOG

Sorry, i meant glovesman.

ecfc70

i shouldve put some cash on it, anyone want to tell me how much a tenner would have returned?

Silver fox

i shouldve put some cash on it, anyone want to tell me how much a tenner would have returned?
Not a lot now matey...

grecIAN Harris

So Brazil win with two counter punches and a very dodgy penalty.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brazil don't look anything too special IMO

Mackster

Decent game but I am going to get very frustrated with Chiles inane jabbering and Andy "bleedin obvious" Townsend over the next 4 weeks. I don't have Sky and unlikely ever to but I wish ITV would cut a deal with some of their team every other summer.
Shame they had a tripled glazed windows in the studio.

I had the draw at 4-1 and feel mugged off.

Brazil won't win it with that defence.

PeteUSA

Re: Brazils equaliser, I thought the shot (which was underhit) was going close or in from the time it was struck. I have sympathy for the keeper here, since his view was totally obstructed by a colleague, meaning when he eventually saw the ball, he dived from a standing start because he had no time to get into a better position.

Irespective of the validity of the penalty that led to the second goal, that was a moment the keeper will want to forget. It was poorly hit, and the keeper got two good hands behind the shot, yet he failed to palm it away, and palmed it into the back of the net! Very poor goalkeeping from a national keeper.

The third goal was struck from a long way out, and again (with no obstruction excuse this time) he was far too slow going to ground. I suspect Croatia will be mulling over their keeper options for the next game.

The penalty, which in my opinion changed the game, was a farcical decision, as the referee will know by now, since he will have seen re-runs. Looking at all angles of that incident, I dont think the player simulated a foul, or for want of a better word; cheated. He went flat on his back, not knowing there was a croation defender behind him, and the referee assumed he wound up that way because he was pulled from behind. I thought the referee had an excellent game, and got all the big decisions right - bar one! which is the one he'll unfortunately be remembered for.

Last edited: