• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC 2018 - Russia

Legohead

Banned
I'm not a fan of the Belgians. They have had a weak underbelly for quite some time now and although they are packed with talent in every position, Martinez is unlikely to address the key issue for them which is solidity and mental toughness.

The one thing that sticks in my mind about England is the period after Euro 96 and the change in playing style. I vaguely remember Mexico 86 although i was only a wee bairn but certainly England's style following that and including Italia 90 was based on a tough tackling no no nonsense fast tempo game like the Premier League is much of the time. England got close to the final of Italia 90 and also the Euro 96 tournament playing this way and then they seemed to want to change styles and copy the Spanish / Germans / Italians / whoever it was in fashion to want to copy at the time.

Pundits endlessly telling us we need to be able to keep the ball and keep possession which IMO wasn't correct. You can have 99.9% possession of the football in a game then suddenly the opposition sling a corner in, a big guy nods it in and you lose 1-0. It's not how long you have the ball but what you do with it when you have it. Slowing the game down and probing just isn't in England's DNA and the players seem more comfortable playing a fast paced, in some cases 'hoof it' game than one in which they try to retain possession of the football and end up either going side to side all day long or getting caught in possession. England don't have, and rarely have had the calibre of player to be able to carry this off.

Spain have been a huge success but they had the balance of players right and the players to be able to keep things ticking over. That said, some of the Spain games i have seen have been the most boring to watch i can recall. Slow, lethargic, probing and eventually they just wear out the opposition and the class tells and they win the game. There is no urgency with teams who like to keep possession and the good ones like Spain always know a goal or two will come but it's boring to watch.

England have some really good players but compared to Belgium, France, Spain, Germany, possibly Italy they aren't good enough to compete with those sides. If they played a style of football that suited them and were more gung ho then that that old fear of playing against England back in the 80's / 90's would slowly return as we will have our rightful identity back.

England cannot play the likes of the teams i have mentioned at their own game and beat them so they should go back to what made them feared and develop that style further.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
England don't have a chance in hell. They don't have a football brain, they don't pass and move, they can't control the ball well, they don't have a tried and trusted system of play. Overall, they're total carp. I reckon it's Germany's to lose.

ecfc70

The last round of qualifiers this week, England should be in the pot but who will join northern Ireland in the playoffs?

THURSDAY 5TH OCTOBER
GROUP C
Northern Ireland 19:45 Germany
GROUP F
England 19:45 Slovenia
Scotland 19:45 Slovakia

FRIDAY 6TH OCTOBER
GROUP D
Georgia 17:00 Wales

SUNDAY 8TH OCTOBER
GROUP C
Norway 19:45 Northern Ireland
GROUP F
Lithuania 17:00 England
Slovenia 17:00 Scotland

MONDAY 9TH OCTOBER
GROUP D
Wales 19:45 R. of Ireland

Legohead

Banned
England don't have a chance in hell. They don't have a football brain, they don't pass and move, they can't control the ball well, they don't have a tried and trusted system of play. Overall, they're total carp. I reckon it's Germany's to lose.
Tell me about it Mike. Just switched over from the Slovenia game. Cannot bring myself to watch anymore. Absolutely appalling. Boring, sterile, slow, predictable, drab, lifeless crap churned out by mediocre players with zero motivation and told to do so by a soulless and staid manager lacking any charisma whatsoever.

The only player i feel sorry for is Kane because he's a humble, dedicated lad and his career will be hindered by playing alongside such a talentless bunch of overpaid, mentally weak premier****e tossers.

Thing is that they'll score near the end. They always do against these sides. Play crap and struggle then someone pops up and papers over more cracks again.

Klopp should be manager. You know you'll still never win anything but it would be bloody good to watch for a change!

Last edited:

Alistair20000

You were spot on with the outcome Lego.

Super Harry Kane !

grecIAN Harris

Argentina are in danger of not qualifying. The currently sit sixth in the South American qualifying league and only the top four are guaranteed a place. The fifth placed side will have a play-off against New Zealand. It seems ridiculous that a side with Messi and Aguero leading their strike force are struggling to make it.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Did Lithuania copy the Oxford ground when they built it ?

Looks like an artificial pitch with a capacity of what about 7k ?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Did Lithuania copy the Oxford ground when they built it ?

Looks like an artificial pitch with a capacity of what about 7k ?
My mistake 5067 and they haven't sold out ! Torquay's ground is 6200.

That's a joke to have a WCQ in a ground like this,Cant even see any ball boys.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
My mistake 5067 and they haven't sold out ! Torquay's ground is 6200.

That's a joke to have a WCQ in a ground like this,Cant even see any ball boys.
Two jokes of international teams playing on it.

Exe on Valdez

Yes we Stra-chan.

No, hang on a minute.