• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Was the petition effective or a waste of time?.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Or conversely why would imagine it DID have any impact? Perhaps the turnaround really was coincidence - they do happen. Everything you've written to equally apply to both sides of the argument.
Which is what I said in the first half of my post.....

I only then suggested that you would certainly have to be a believer in "coincidence" to claim that it had no impact. Coincidences do happen, but they are often created by other factors...

What's that got to do with the price of fish? Perhaps they should have kept David Moyes until his too. The problem is you provide no provision for ever removing the manager and always say no matter how bad it gets he'll turn things round eventually, well how Long's eventually? What if we were to be relegated, and then relegated again? It not an impossibility, yet you'd be prepared to spend (at least) on season in the Conference South because you're confident he could get us back to League Two.

I'm all for giving a manager time, but surely there comes a time when a bad run is one bad run too many, or that poor form has gone on long enough. I'm not up for sacking Tis, however should we finish in the bottom three or four and have another home season like the previous three then it'll be enough for me and time for someone else to have a go.

We all cried when Gary Peters left yet I liked Eamo more. We all cried when Eamo left yet Ingle was better. We cried again when Ingle left and Tis came in yet Tis has proven to better again. Who's to say his eventual replacement won't be even better again? To say you want Tis to stay until retirement shows unbelievable narrow-mindedness and an extraordinary lack of imagination. Hopefully you'll never have any official capacity within the club as it'll go nowhere with views like yours.
If you had taken the time to actually read my original post, you would have seen my reasoning for wanting Tisdale to stay here for as long as possible. I'm confident that we would maintain a certain level of success for a club at our level, which would mean challenging at the top end of L2 and spend time punching above our weight in L1. Of course, there would be the odd season at the wrong end of L2 like during the last campaign, but that is the cycle. I don't believe we will ever get relegated to the Conference South, but okay, if that were to happen, then I'd want a change in management. I am 100% certain that will never happen though.

Sure, a new manager could be better than Tis, but equally could be a lot worse. I'd prefer to stick with a guy who believes in the club's ethos and has brought us so much success over the past eight years.

Last edited:

geoffwp

You lack evidence to suggest that the petition had nothing to do with the improvement in the same way as those who feel it did. You rely on a prejudiced viewpoint that supports your own stance. It doesn't matter either way, but you would have to believe totally in a concept of coincidence to imagine it had no impact at all.....
I don't believe Rog has any more of a 'prejudice' than anyone else on these boards malc and I'm surprised at you for saying it. If prejudice means supporting the club then he and all the rest of us are guilty. Richard also steamed in to accuse him of a disservice to those who had signed it which quite frankly was a silly knee jerk response. If someone admits they have signed it more than once it is a perfectly valid question to ask just how many others did the same. For crying out loud there were several Disney characters in there as well! IMO most petitions fail to work as those whose actions the petition seeks to influence or change, tend to ignore it as toothless like the rattling of blunt swords. anyway, off to Exeter as I feel a few beers over a good pub lunch is the order of the day. Up the City.

motorservices

Was the Petition effective or a waste of time?

Ok lets look at the facts, before it was started we hadnt won in 7 SEVEN GAMES,

Since then we have had some very impressive form and performances

It could be said that form would have picked up

lets face it, no one will ever know, and anyone claiming it had NO effect is talking ****e, anyone that claims its the sole reason for the pick up is also full of ****e

makes me laugh so much that so many on here think it had no effect, to the point that after every game they feel the need to bring it up

so when someone has cast iron PROOF the petition had no effect whatsoever (which will never happen) please feel free to share

Until that point why bother, no one will ever know, all you are actually doing is dividing the fan base, which isnt a good look, its not a game of look at me im a super fan because i kept the faith

sometimes this place is like a play ground

anyway, on that note, im gonna get in my car and drive 65miles to actually watch my team play, as i do every home game, shame more 'fans' dont do the same

flakey pasty

sometimes this place is like a play ground
Unfortunately yes MS.
Personally I think that daft petition was something out of the playground too. It's the sort of thing you do at school when a new rule about school uniform is brought in.
My view is that to believe that Tisdale with all his coaching badges and successes in the game, changed tactics or "tried harder" as a result of 60 odd people signing it (including Disney characters, peoples' grannies, "Taggy", "Paul Tisdale", not to mention those who signed more than once) is beyond ridiculous. Pure fantasy land.
Threads like this are a face-saving exercise of industrial proportions to attempt to show that the "petition" was not childish, pitiful and, in the end, completely futile.
As MS says, the majority of the signatories appear to have changed their minds about wanting a change of manager and it is time to put this divisive episode behind us and get behind the manager, the team and the club.
Up the bleedin' City!

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ribeiro fully fit.
JMT fully fit.
Grimes' England call up/hitting good form.
Loan signing of Nicholls.

They are reasons for our turn around. Not some silly online petiton set up by someone with the sole intention to oust our manager.

Obviously my opinion but I do feel it's more plausible than a few signatures on the internet affecting the results.

What some people like to forget is a week after the petition, we limped to a very tame 1-1 draw with then 23rd place Oxford. It clearly didn't change anything then so why did it supposedly click into place once we started winning matches?

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

Which is what I said in the first half of my post.....

I only then suggested that you would certainly have to be a believer in "coincidence" to claim that it had no impact. Coincidences do happen, but they are often created by other factors...
You might also suggest that you have to be a believer in coincidence to claim it had any impact. Again you could equally apply your suggestion above the other way. Funny that...

malcolms

I don't believe Rog has any more of a 'prejudice' than anyone else on these boards malc and I'm surprised at you for saying it. If prejudice means supporting the club then he and all the rest of us are guilty. Richard also steamed in to accuse him of a disservice to those who had signed it which quite frankly was a silly knee jerk response. If someone admits they have signed it more than once it is a perfectly valid question to ask just how many others did the same. For crying out loud there were several Disney characters in there as well! IMO most petitions fail to work as those whose actions the petition seeks to influence or change, tend to ignore it as toothless like the rattling of blunt swords. anyway, off to Exeter as I feel a few beers over a good pub lunch is the order of the day. Up the City.
FFS Geoff I said both points of view relied on prejudice......

malcolms

You might also suggest that you have to be a believer in coincidence to claim it had any impact. Again you could equally apply your suggestion above the other way. Funny that...
But if you didn't believe in coincidence, then the end result would indeed be odd in the extreme....

Antony Moxey

But if you didn't believe in coincidence, then the end result would indeed be odd in the extreme....
But not impossible. As you say, coincidences do happen so why can't it be simply down to players returning to form or from injury and a astute loan? Coincidence is equally as plausible as saying it gave the manager the kick up the backside he needed.