• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Was the petition effective or a waste of time?.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I agree that Tisdale is the best thing to happen to us,but that doesn't necessarily mean that that will always be the case. If that's the sole argument you're putting forward are yo trying to suggest he should stay here, no questions asked, until his retirement?

As for the petition, we'll never know. Maybe it did stir something within the club's hierarchy, maybe it didn't, but either way the club will never publicly acknowledge that. Either way, it's a long time ago now so maybe it's best to move on and not keep harping back to it, especially as its intention was for the removal of the manager which it rather spectacularly failed to achieve.
I agree with all of that apart from the term rather spectacularly. Clearly it didn't result in tisdale being sacked or resigning but that is hardly surprising given that results quickly improved. Indeed I don't think he would have gone even had we stayed bottom as don't think the club can afford to sack him even if they wanted to and I don't think he would have walked. I wouldn't want to find out either as that would mean another run the same or worse than before.

PeteUSA

Is nobody bothering to read my posts anymore!?

richard_portland

Is nobody bothering to read my posts anymore!?
Sorry Pete not intentional. I think it's reasonable that the club should pay some attention to a section of the fan base if they are unhappy, in the same way that a company shouldn't ignore complaints from some of its customers. Am sure not everyone else will agree but that's fine.

Antony Moxey

I think Tisdale SHOULD BE 'the best thing that ever happened to us' since he's by far the highest paid manager in the clubs entire history. Far more than ex England Captain Gerry Francis; who was still playing during his time with us; and driving home to Bagshot and back several times a week!
Gerry Francis was manager 30 years ago. I think salaries have risen since then. He also got us relegated in his only season here with one of the worst set of results I think I've ever seen. Had Tisdale done the same I suspect he might not have got a second season. Had Francis enjoyed Tis' first five years of success after success wit each season being an improvement on the previous one, he might well have been offered a salary package similar to Tis'..

Antony Moxey

I agree with all of that apart from the term rather spectacularly. Clearly it didn't result in tisdale being sacked or resigning but that is hardly surprising given that results quickly improved. Indeed I don't think he would have gone even had we stayed bottom as don't think the club can afford to sack him even if they wanted to and I don't think he would have walked. I wouldn't want to find out either as that would mean another run the same or worse than before.
Well, the aim of the petition was to have Tisdale removed, either by resignation or termination of contract. Neither happened, and I suspect neither was even considered, not even remotely. You also opine that had we stayed bottom he'd still have been here: I agree with this opinion. How is all of that not a spectacular failure of the petition to achieve its stated aim?

If that's the sole argument you're putting forward are yo trying to suggest he should stay here, no questions asked, until his retirement?
Yes, I would like to see him stay at the club until his retirement as I'm confident that we would maintain a certain level of success; Tisdale has been and is continuing to build something very special at the club with the focus on our youth. Since he has been at the club, he has worked wonders on a shoestring budget. Yes, there have been several dud signings, but name me a manager who hasn't had any.

I am also dead proud to see players brought through our own academy turn out for us every week - they're ultimately what will keep the club going once their sold on for handsome transfer fees. Tisdale has a huge hand in their development and I believe he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Of course, there will be hard times at the club like last season. However, that can be attributed to the rebuilding process - it's all about cycles and thinking long-term.

Though his heart is in the club, I fear Tisdale will eventually be tempted by an offer from a club further up the pyramid with the same vision and long-term strategy that ours has. Hopefully, his replacement will have the same belief in the club's ethos that he has.

Last edited:

richard_portland

Well, the aim of the petition was to have Tisdale removed, either by resignation or termination of contract. Neither happened, and I suspect neither was even considered, not even remotely. You also opine that had we stayed bottom he'd still have been here: I agree with this opinion. How is all of that not a spectacular failure of the petition to achieve its stated aim?
Does that mean that had he gone it would have been a spectacular success?

Antony Moxey

Yes, I would like to see him stay at the club until his retirement.
Then you are a fool. I didn't bother reading past that as your opening statement negated anything you might have said afterwards.

Antony Moxey

Does that mean that had he gone it would have been a spectacular success?
If it was stated that it was a contributory factor then yes it would.

Then you are a fool. I didn't bother reading past that as your opening statement negated anything you might have said afterwards.
Manchester United didn't do too badly with Sir Alex at the helm until his retirement.