• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Walsall vs Exeter City (FA Match day thread)

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could only follow this on BBC Sport, Exeweb and ET on Radio Devon. The posts from Herschel and Vinniehub tie in with the post match comments from a very fed up sounding Onion Bargey.

Crap gate, poor game despite 5 goals, horrid defensive errors and little to offer in the final few minutes. All hugely disappointing as Walsall are a very poor team indeed who we are capable of beating. We should really have put this tie to bed at SJP. Opportunity to pick up some much needed cash with a cup run frittered away. :(

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Again, we're somewhat bedecked with injuries. And Mr Noble failed a late fitness test. From the radio, Sheps, Frear and - possibly - Mr Keohane sounded like they have real future promise. How did they look to you guys on the ground? ...

cannockred

Keohane not on long enough to say.

Sheps did ok, made a bit of a nuisance of himself and never stopped running. Frear as I said before was a breath of fresh air. Looked comfortable on the ball, not afraid to have a pop at goal.

Incidentally, whatever happened to JN31?

Squibby

I wasn't at the match, so cannot comment specifically on it.

However, as I see it, it all boils down to ' we own our football club '. Yes, we may do, but if The Trust is to continue running the club and keeping its books balanced, we have to accept that we cannot afford either a big squad in numbers terms, or a load of experienced players capable of holding their own in League 1 or even better.

Down the line, with the club remaining on an even keel financially, it will find its own level. I hope this is at least League 2, but who knows ?

I agree with those who have bemoaned the fact that we seem to be a home for regularly unfit players / players with recurring injury problems e.g. Nardiello, Bauza, but then we have done that in the dim and distant too - anyone remember Mike Cecere ? When fit he could score goals. Sadly, he rarely managed five games in succession before being out for another 5. We cant afford that now.

Those of you who attend local league games in between City ones, keep your eyes peeled for another Tony Kellow. Oh yeah - sorry. There'll never be another like him. It was a nice thought while it lasted though......

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
He was let go but, I believe, Callum McNish is his replacement and on the bench tonight ... [y]

supercity2007

Shocking that we lost to a very poor walsall side,not sure what flynn did tonight,nichols not much better,sercs and troy battled hard,sheps tried but didnt shine, highlight was frear coming on he had a spark that is missing,sadly they failed to get the ball to him enough,I am tired and lost for words,city threw it away, not enough players turned up tonight,we have a tough road ahead with this squad if they chuck away games to poor sides like walsall.

I hope tis will take another look at there number 16 he looked quick and good on the ball, would be a good signing for us.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back from the match...

TBH we played quite well, certainly the better team and were, much like Saturday cruising towards the end of the first half. Walsall little threat really until they scored, suddenly had some momentum and got another soon after.

Then Frear comes on and we look more up for it again (I've said it before he WILL make it with the first team, proper winger who hugs the you touchline). Gets a deflected goal and again we gave the lions share of the ball and probably could have won it had we been more imaginative around the box.

Dunne's legs had gone which left huge gaps in the middle of the park - we still looked the more likely before their player rounded Artur.

Dissaponting but we are half decent and play good football at times still so it's not all bad. Coles and O Flynn were rubbish tonight, stands outs were Logie and Frear for me. We won't go down, I'm certain of that, despite our failings.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Interesting, Max. And, just for your siege record, the fans came over loud and clear on the radio several times ... [y]

lmartin

Administrator
Also back from the game. Heading straight to bed... but wanted to echo the comments on Frear. He has some serious potential. He should have been in the game more in my opinion but wasn't getting the service he needed from the others who seemed to prefer to bypass him. When he was on the ball, he looked dangerous. More so than any other player in a city shirt tonight.

scholsey

Also just got home from the match.

Frear was our best player! Logie also was extremely good tonight, chasing back, winning the ball back, put himself about and a well taken finish. we looked like a different team when frear came on, the last 10 minutes of the first half we looked really good and actually looked like we might do some damage. Poor start to the second half, invited to much pressure exactly like the first half hour, didn't close the ball down quick enough from the start. Looked very tired even in the first half!

When frear came on around the hour mark?? we started to dominate the match untill we scored. After we scored both teams could have scored ( actually a very entertaining last ten minutes)

Very poor ball controll by alot of players tonight.

O Flynn was extremely tired throughout the game and played poor.

Other than that at some point we passed the ball very well!

Great away crowd today and made some good noise! Walsall only sang when they scored!

Anyway, chin up and move onto the next game!

UP THE CITY!