• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

VAR Yay or Nay ?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why does football continue to get this so wrong compared with rugby and cricket ?
The officials and guidelines. All this "clear and obvious error" is rubbish as too wide a latitude. Clear dialogue between ref and VAR official on what he has seen and why he has given a certain decision. VAR ref has a *quick* look and the incident is either as described or not. If not, send the ref to the monitor.

The main problem though is the standard of officials in the league is generally poor.

iscalad

Another baffling VAR error yesterday. Kane kicked in the box. Nothing given.

VAR clowns: John Brooks again, "assisted by" Marc Perry.

It was suggested the foul was deep in added time and Spurs had already won.

Why does football continue to get this so wrong compared with rugby and cricket ?
A question for Mike Malarkey 🤔

iscalad

The main problem though is the standard of officials in the league is generally poor.
Another question for Mike Malarkey seeing as he trains them.

Rosencrantz

Another question for Mike Malarkey seeing as he trains them.
I didn't say the line officials 😉

iscalad

I didn't say the line officials 😉
I believe his talk is about VAR.😀

grecIAN Harris

An unbelievably poor use of VAR in the Chelsea v Newcastle game the other day with Chelski's Chalobah nearly ripping the shirt off one of the Newcastle players in the box. Nothing given.

Bad enough that David Coote the referee missed it but John Brooks on VAR duty failed to change the decision or even to ask Coote to look at the pitch side screen. Feckin' dire.

I think this pair of clowns have reffed our games in the not too distant past. Cannot believe they are Select group refs. Overpromotion don't even begin to cover it.

And we think the refs are generally rather poor in League 2.
I could forgive the referee not seeing it in live play as he a row of four or five players in front of him and he didn't have any kind of view. VAR though................... clear and obvious error? I should say so. The worst for me is the sending off that never happened. Havertz had to go for the challenge on Dan Burn. Referee's a re continually banging on about unnatural position when it's to handball. That principle has to be applied to flying elbows. The first case for the defence is that he is using his arms to gain height. That has a limited amount of merit to it but Dan Burn is 6'7, a good half a foot taller than Kai Havertz, what is Harvertz elbow doing half a foot above his head in the first place? Second, try jumping and watch what happens with your arms. You put them out or up in front of you and you your body through to gain your height/distance, depending on what your trying to achieve. Third, when you use your arms to jump they work together similar to the way a birds wings work. They flap up and down together for a bird to fly, and your arms go out together and are pulled back together when you jump. There is a picture on the BBC match report which quite clearly shows Havertz right hand is down around waist/stomach level and his right elbow is in Burn's face, how unnatural do you want it to be? Finally, watch the movement of Havertz elbow. It's not held in a position as a leading elbow might be, there is a definate thrust of his elbow towards Burn. 'Oh but he wasn't looking at him' is the immeadiate case for the defence. As Jimmy Floyd Hasslbaink said in the Sky studio during the game, any striker with half a brain cell doesn't need to be looking for his marker, he already knows where he is.

Rosencrantz

I could forgive the referee not seeing it in live play as he a row of four or five players in front of him and he didn't have any kind of view. VAR though................... clear and obvious error? I should say so. The worst for me is the sending off that never happened. Havertz had to go for the challenge on Dan Burn. Referee's a re continually banging on about unnatural position when it's to handball. That principle has to be applied to flying elbows. The first case for the defence is that he is using his arms to gain height. That has a limited amount of merit to it but Dan Burn is 6'7, a good half a foot taller than Kai Havertz, what is Harvertz elbow doing half a foot above his head in the first place? Second, try jumping and watch what happens with your arms. You put them out or up in front of you and you your body through to gain your height/distance, depending on what your trying to achieve. Third, when you use your arms to jump they work together similar to the way a birds wings work. They flap up and down together for a bird to fly, and your arms go out together and are pulled back together when you jump. There is a picture on the BBC match report which quite clearly shows Havertz right hand is down around waist/stomach level and his right elbow is in Burn's face, how unnatural do you want it to be? Finally, watch the movement of Havertz elbow. It's not held in a position as a leading elbow might be, there is a definate thrust of his elbow towards Burn. 'Oh but he wasn't looking at him' is the immeadiate case for the defence. As Jimmy Floyd Hasslbaink said in the Sky studio during the game, any striker with half a brain cell doesn't need to be looking for his marker, he already knows where he is.
And then Newcastle benefit from a very dodgy VAR decision against Everton but don't take advantage of it 😉. Followed up by a poor second yellow card last night for Raul Jiminez, he didn't even make a challenge in the end but he couldn't just disappear. Poor refereeing decisions whether on the pitch or with their feet up at Stockley Park are making real differences in games, not VAR as such.

Alistair20000

Worst VAR decision EVER yesterday in the Chelsea v West Ham game when Cornet’s goal was chalked off for an alleged foul. The VAR official Jarred Gillett should never be allowed to participate again and should not ref on field either. A cowpat for on field ref Andy Madley too for not sticking with his original decision. As Shearer said on MOTD VAR is not supposed to get involved at all unless there is a clear and obvious error. KEEP OUT

Elsewhere, Michael Oliver awarded what looked to me like a very harsh penalty against Bournemouth for hand ball but declined to change his decision having been sent to the pitch side screen by VAR. The original decision was not a clear and obvious error so I think he was right to stay with his original decision.

VAR continues to be misused by clueless officials. :mad:

Alistair20000

Despite Howard Webb’s efforts to improve things the gross incompetence goes on.

Brighton denied two nailed on penalties at WHL yesterday.

They also had 2 goals disallowed for handball but they may have been correct VAR decisions based on the daft handball rules that apply

grecIAN Harris

Despite Howard Webb’s efforts to improve things the gross incompetence goes on.

Brighton denied two nailed on penalties at WHL yesterday.

They also had 2 goals disallowed for handball but they may have been correct VAR decisions based on the daft handball rules that apply
Add Brentford's second penalty to that list, if you're going to stick you head down at waist height your asking for it to be knocked off not that Isak barely touched the Brentford lad.