• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Valley Parade Disaster

top red

24 years ago today. An absolutely horrible way for 56 football fans to lose their lives.

there is a video for those that want to see it but i dont want to post it really...

CITY CASUAL

A very sad day that was.R I P

ECFC KARL

A very sad day indeed i have been told about this from my dad. RIP all those that died

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
A sad day, it went up so quick and in them days the exit gates were often locked!!! RIP to the 56, But this one does get forgotten about

Last edited:

les.gtfc

This was a very sad day for football. The 56 should always be remembered. 54 Bradford fans and 2 Lincoln fans died on that day. There will always be a permanent memorial to the 2 Lincoln fans with The Stacy West Stand being the surnames of the 2 Lincoln fans who perished that day. Our former goalkeeper David Felgate was playing for Lincoln that day, he was the last person to touch the ball as he booted it out of the ground when he realised the seriousness of the fire.

This will hardly get a mention on the news with it being a "lower league" match. It really should have the same coverage as the Hillsborough Disaster gets.

Last edited:

ECFC TOM

Would I be right in thinking Paul Morrish and Mel Gwinnet were involved in that terrible incident?

RIP to all those that lost their lives that day.

Red the Paper

Banned
I remember watching Grandstand the day it happened and the pictures were transmitted live from the ground. It is still on youtube and does not make nice viewing.

RIP

les.gtfc

I remember it was the last game of the season and we had just won 2-0 at Crystal Palace. I was staying the weekend at my brothers in London and I remember buying the early edition of the Sunday paper at about 9.30pm on Saturday evening.

The events were reported and sommented on as "no one is thought to have been seriously injured!" How wrong they were.

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
Remember seeing this on the news, very sad. RIP.

older-codger

Would I be right in thinking Paul Morrish and Mel Gwinnet were involved in that terrible incident?

RIP to all those that lost their lives that day.
You are correct. Paul was at Bradford uni then and Mel was a player with Bradford - abeit not in the squad on that day