• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Vale v City Matchday Thread

lamrobhero

Initially I was a bit perterbed by the Port Vale attack, not sure why: more spread out? more 1 v 1 situations? good link up play? they didn't seem to dither? But they ran out of steam. A lot of our attacking play seems to be in crowded situations. This thing where Cam kicks to near the touchline on one side of the pitch where both teams are crowded in that area, is that based on some statistic that %age wise we are likely to get a throw in?

paperclip

He has 200% justified Matty's perserverance and I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the PFA L2 Team of the Season even though he has missed a huge chunk as I suspect his peers recognise his quality. However, we should remember that next sesson he will only be getting back to the league he was in previously. He looks like he can play Championship level so keeping him will be very difficult I suspect?
The voting for Team of the Season always used to take place in January (which I always thought odd). Don't know if this is still the case, but if it IS then I doubt he'll get in it.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
That David Amoo is a handful, did well to control him running at tired legs.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The voting for Team of the Season always used to take place in January (which I always thought odd). Don't know if this is still the case, but if it IS then I doubt he'll get in it.
Paper, good point well made and I'm hoping that's still the case as it will only make more clubs sit up and take notice

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
That David Amoo is a handful, did well to control him running at tired legs.
He hoofed it too much for my liking

grecIAN Harris

Nope, that's why I said I'd just seen the highlights. The clues are there.......🤔

Alistair20000

Just seen the highlights, how did we not get a penalty?
Three reasons:

Bobby Madley

Bobby Madley

Bobby Madley

A useless ref and quite astonishing that he was reffing PL games once

STURTZ

Can't even say Jevani was chasing a lost cause, he'd have got that ball and probably done something useful with it.

andrew p long

Initially I was a bit perterbed by the Port Vale attack, not sure why: more spread out? more 1 v 1 situations? good link up play? they didn't seem to dither? But they ran out of steam. A lot of our attacking play seems to be in crowded situations. This thing where Cam kicks to near the touchline on one side of the pitch where both teams are crowded in that area, is that based on some statistic that %age wise we are likely to get a throw in?
Two reasons, I think. First and most importantly the chances of us winning a header are poor where its our strikers versus opposition 6ft 5in monsters at centre half ; but Josh Key's chances of winning a header against the opposing left back/left winger are much higher. Secondly there are some stats about likelihood of conceding from our own goal kick - that if a goal kick hit centrally is won by the opposition (and then headed back over our centre halves) the chances of an opponent running in on our goal and scoring are (much) higher than if our keeper kicks toward one touchline.

iscalad

Two reasons, I think. First and most importantly the chances of us winning a header are poor where its our strikers versus opposition 6ft 5in monsters at centre half ; but Josh Key's chances of winning a header against the opposing left back/left winger are much higher. Secondly there are some stats about likelihood of conceding from our own goal kick - that if a goal kick hit centrally is won by the opposition (and then headed back over our centre halves) the chances of an opponent running in on our goal and scoring are (much) higher than if our keeper kicks toward one touchline.
Thanks Tis. 😊