• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

V10 Plan

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I have never liked having a defeatist attitude about anything. If we ever get to the Championship I would like to ensure that all is in place to stay there and not come immediately back down. I know Norrie had the same attitude.
Well, that's what Jason is saying, that the infrastructure is in place to support Championship football. You can never guarantee a team will succeed on the pitch, but you can at least make sure you're ready for that success off it.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we got into the Championship and stayed there we would have to convert the BB and away terrace into seated stands within three years. We would also presumably have to fill in all available corners to replace the loss of capacity. Probably at least £5m.

DB9

I have never liked having a defeatist attitude about anything. If we ever get to the Championship I would like to ensure that all is in place to stay there and not come immediately back down. I know Norrie had the same attitude.
As a small club if we ever got that far up the footballing ladder we might have the infrastructure that comes with it, But that would mean an awful lot of investment which on current terms we could never achieve, Not being defeatist just realistic. Plus I think we would be like Yeovil was and Burton are, Have a fleeting go at the Championship but in the end we'd come up well short in terms of results and would slide back down to L1 but hoping we could sustain that level with the increase of money that being in the Championship would bring (Of course not spunking it on wages for over the hill footballers looking for a last pay day)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
If we got into the Championship and stayed there we would have to convert the BB and away terrace into seated stands within three years. We would also presumably have to fill in all available corners to replace the loss of capacity. Probably at least £5m.
The extra tv money in the championship I believe is worth about 3m a season with significant payments for each televised game. If we ever made it, staying up would be tough, I would be expecting us to hold back say a million per season and investing the rest so that if we go down there is money to cushion the drop in income , and if we stayed up by year three we could use up to 3m to have a stab at beginning the stadium improvements. Hopefully in the future safe standing will become an option, which would hopefully reduce the costs.

Don't think we will ever get there, but would like to see us as an established league one side with a chance of having a stab at a play off place now and again.

IndoMike

The extra tv money in the championship I believe is worth about 3m a season with significant payments for each televised game. If we ever made it, staying up would be tough, I would be expecting us to hold back say a million per season and investing the rest so that if we go down there is money to cushion the drop in income , and if we stayed up by year three we could use up to 3m to have a stab at beginning the stadium improvements. Hopefully in the future safe standing will become an option, which would hopefully reduce the costs.

Don't think we will ever get there, but would like to see us as an established league one side with a chance of having a stab at a play off place now and again.
Your final paragraph expresses my own opinion.

Antony Moxey

Rubbish. The BB could be converted in a day.

Grecian2K

Even by your ever impressive levels of hyperbole that is a pretty impressive claim Anton.

Were you at the helm might we even have hoped that the New Old Grandstand could be erected in time for kick-off tomorrow?? ;)

PeteUSA

Rubbish. The BB could be converted in a day.
Excuse me! I've read your stuff on converting terracing to seating, and vice verca, and "the rake" of the Big Bank would be totally wrong; and the the steps would be to close together to convert to seating.

PeteUSA

Even if we did get to the Championship, its not classed as such an achievement as it would have been when it was the old Second Division. The Premier League buggered up everybody else by adopting a new name instead of remaining Football League Division One (I can hear James Alexander Gordon now!) I think the remaining three leagues have been devalued so much that even if we did get into the Championship, we'd struggle to get 6,000 in if the opposition was crap. There are some pi/ss poor teams in there right now.

IndoMike

Even if we did get to the Championship, its not classed as such an achievement as it would have been when it was the old Second Division. The Premier League buggered up everybody else by adopting a new name instead of remaining Football League Division One (I can hear James Alexander Gordon now!) I think the remaining three leagues have been devalued so much that even if we did get into the Championship, we'd struggle to get 6,000 in if the opposition was crap. There are some pi/ss poor teams in there right now.
It's true that the EPL has devalued everything except itself. FA Cup has become almost meaningless and the EFL is now a mere addendum. Hate Premier League and I hate Chelsea !