• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Under 21s

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Any one know if we're entering the under 21s competition this year? Not sure why we didn't last year, other than for financial reasons.

We have quite a large contingent of youngsters and it would be good if they had some "competitive" games.

charEXE

I remember an interview with Matt Jay saying that we couldn't enter the Under 21 cup becasue our squad was too small at the start of the season.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I remember an interview with Matt Jay saying that we couldn't enter the Under 21 cup becasue our squad was too small at the start of the season.
Even with the first year pros and being strict about being 21 or under I would have thought we could build a squad

Alex Byrne Midfielder 19
Connor Riley-Lowe Defender 19
Matt Jay Forward 19
Jason Pope Midfielder 19
Josh Read Defender 19
Ollie Watkins Forward 19
Joe Charles Forward 19
Cameron Gill Forward 19
Christy Pym Goalkeeper 20
James Hamon Goalkeeper 20
Jordan Moore-Taylor Defender 21
Jamie Reid Forward 21
Tom Nichols Forward 21

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Would like to see us enter but would rather a few of those didn't take part. Certainly nichols and JMT should only play if they were coming back from injury or out of the starting line up for whatever reason. We should have enough players to put in a side without those featuring regularly in the first team squad. Of course that probably means we wouldn't get as far as last time but still good experience.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
During our run in the competition the other year, didn't we lose money on every game until the 1/4 final, which was when we exited. At the start if last season we were in no position to lose any more money so it would have been silly to enter the competition and end up requiring more money from the pfa. And even if we did enter, from your list Hants you can take out Nichols and JMT who were crucial to our first team and Jamie Reid who missed all last year through injury. Then you have to make up a squad of 14/16 from the 10 players remaining which included 2 goalkeepers, 4 forwards and just 2 defenders. It just wasn't doable.

Anyway, I think part of Butterfield's new coaching role will be him managing the team we enter in the competition for the coming season.

Last edited:

citizen

IT will be interesting to see how The greens from down the road manage running there older teams and playing in the Peninsular Div 1 league .They have U16/18 Fixtures on a Saturday and Peninsular fixtures on a Saturday afternoon. I watched them beat Exmouth Town yesterday and looks as though they will gain good experience during the season,but could be a logistical nightmare. It will be interesting to see if City follow there lead after this season or have independent fixtures(friendlies) during the season.

Pete Martin (CTID)

The competition is, of course, the Barclays Under-21 Premier League Cup.

It is indicative of the attitude of the Premier League and their sponsors that they start a competition such as this, invite teams from the lower leagues to participate and then provide no finance or incentives for them to do so.

Boyo

The competition is, of course, the Barclays Under-21 Premier League Cup.

It is indicative of the attitude of the Premier League and their sponsors that they start a competition such as this, invite teams from the lower leagues to participate and then provide no finance or incentives for them to do so.
What are the costs? Obviously travel and possible accommodation for any away games, but what other costs are there? I'm assuming there are not any costs to enter the competition?

Interestingly Southampton won this last year. The season before the Saints were defeated by ECFC in the 3rd round.

andrew p long

What are the costs? Obviously travel and possible accommodation for any away games, but what other costs are there? I'm assuming there are not any costs to enter the competition?
Fees for the officials,plus their travelling expenses. The cost of the electricity for the floodlights (and everywhere else in the ground). A coach for the day to Crystal Palace and back won't have come cheap. Turnstile operators,stewards etc. And,if I remember correctly,howls of outrage from some fans if the entrance fee goes above seven pounds.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's going to happen!