• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Sidey's back

Anytime
Day or Night
You're always here
Posting *****

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bog standard reply from Tavers : totally incapable of dealing with the actual points a poster makes so deflecting to a false narrative. Sigh.
Oh, I repeat : our Govt did not get either aspect right : they couldn't limit the number of Covid19 deaths not could they limit the huge economic damage
Denying the reality and the facts just makes you look daft. The way to improve is to acknowledge the truth, but you just can't do that. Perhaps it s just too hard to lose face?
I’m not going to deny that I have penchant for defending a Government I voted for and if I’m honest a country I love.
What I always try to do however is at least evidence my contentions on here.
You made great play yesterday that the U.K. had uniquely failed to protect the economy and people’s lives, a sort of double whammy of incompetence if you like.
I responded by suggesting that if you look at GDP for the whole of the 2020 (not just Q2) and factored in that some countries shut down their economies earlier and thus came out of lockdown earlier, the picture isn’t as clear cut as you think it is. Look at Spain, Italy and France.
Factor in also that the U.K. does not possess the highest death rates in Europe, then I’m afraid the narrative about you desperately seeking to criticise the U.K. is a wholly reasonable one IMO.
Ali’s point about the tortuous nature of the UK’s unwinding of the lockdown is a good one, but who’s to say it’s not the right approach if the not insignificant infection spikes in mainland Europe are anything to go by. Tragically Spain is seeing a rise in hospitalisations again.
Ant has it right, lets see where we are when this has all finished.

elginCity

We binned off our planned September trip a couple of weeks ago. Could see this coming. Cases bound to increase in France with the influx of tourists.
Wish I'd had your foresight - trying to rearrange our September tripette (for the second time) is a nightmare on the eurotunnel site, currently.

IndoMike

I’m not going to deny that I have penchant for defending a Government I voted for and if I’m honest a country I love.
What I always try to do however is at least evidence my contentions on here.
You made great play yesterday that the U.K. had uniquely failed to protect the economy and people’s lives, a sort of double whammy of incompetence if you like.
I responded by suggesting that if you look at GDP for the whole of the 2020 (not just Q2) and factored in that some countries shut down their economies earlier and thus came out of lockdown earlier, the picture isn’t as clear cut as you think it is. Look at Spain, Italy and France.
Factor in also that the U.K. does not possess the highest death rates in Europe, then I’m afraid the narrative about you desperately seeking to criticise the U.K. is a wholly reasonable one IMO.
Ali’s point about the tortuous nature of the UK’s unwinding of the lockdown is a good one, but who’s to say it’s not the right approach if the not insignificant infection spikes in mainland Europe are anything to go by. Tragically Spain is seeing a rise in hospitalisations again.
Ant has it right, lets see where we are when this has all finished.
If there is a transparent public inquiry into the Govt's handling of
covid19 I will respect the result If there isn"t a transparent public inquiry then
1 Why not?
2. I have no reason to change my mind

Of course it's a common tactic for ALL politicians to say "Oh, we can't evaluate how we did yet : it's too soon" hoping that we will forget all the mistakes they made.
And of course, because this virus might be with us for years, the Govt will always have a ready-made excuse to avoid judgement day. They will hope that by the time the inquiry is held they will all be in the House of Lords having a snooze. .
But I'll tell you this. There are many family members, especially those of the elderly, that will not let them forget.

manc grecian

Anytime
Day or Night
You're always here
Posting *****
Wordsworth?

IndoMike

Wordsworth?
Woolworth's

IndoMike

Anytime
Day or Night
You're always here
Posting *****
It might be day or night for you, but it's day for me. There is a 6 or 7 hour time difference, you know Now do something useful and send me some of that bleddy
blue stilton you promised. Had to buy gorgonzola again yesterday and I'm getting bored with it

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The EU is a union. The United States is a union. If you go to New York for a vacation can we say we are going to the United States for a vacation?
Alexander de Piffle
I thought the EU was a collection of sovereign nations that formed a free trading block for its shared benefit that the UK is mad to leave?

Or is it (becoming) a single country with its own armed forces under presidential control and federal structures?

IndoMike

I thought the EU was a collection of sovereign nations that formed a free trading block for its shared benefit that the UK is mad to leave?

Or is it (becoming) a single country with its own armed forces under presidential control and federal structures?
So you agree we are mad to leave the EU....

Oldsmobile-88

I planned to pop up to Devon Records at Sowton to have a look at a bit of football archive material from the early 1970s & other articles of interest from the E&E from that era,ideal usually for a crap day like today.Unfortunately though it opened last week,you have to pre book a visit & microfilm station,I have just discovered.
Maximum 2 hour session & only 6 people allowed in to the library/archive.
Its a shame that spontaneous visits appear to be off the agenda for the foreseeable future ☹