• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have I misread what you typed?
Yes 2/10

Please try harder

fred binneys head

Morgan is just another contrarian. A good one mind. Bet he argues with himself in his sleep.
No he doesn’t.

Alistair20000

No he doesn’t.
How do you know that Freddie ?

Do you share a bed with him ? :eek:

Sidey's back

How do you know that Freddie ?

Do you share a bed with him ? :eek:
I think Fred was being contrarian Al2000.

Any major thunderstorms in Tedburn?

Alistair20000

I think Fred was being contrarian Al2000.

Any major thunderstorms in Tedburn?
Yes probably as regards Fred.

No thunderstorms here yet but it is too feckin’ hot

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well I've done my bit. Lunch at the local foodie pub for my MiL"s bithday. £128 bill for 6 including a decent bottle of rose reduced to £76. Even got a nice 'EOTHO' slip as a souvenir.

Thanks to my fellow taxpayers for the contribution to our lunch. Much appreciated.
Ably assisted by the taxpayer, I joined my son's family for a meal at Swindon's Shaw Ridge Pizza Hut. The young waitress couldn't do enough for us and so fully deserved the tip that went straight into her pocket rather than into the kitty. 12/10 for service (y)

tavyred

Still over 40,000. Not quite cause for a national backslapping.

Makes it consistent though across the 4 UK nations though and brings our death rate in line with France and Italy.

Most striking is it severely reduces the death rates during July and August rather than counting every poor sod in a nursing home who tested positive in April and died last week as a Covid death.
The revision downward does ***** the bubble of those who have revelled in the idea that the UK has done uniquely badly in Europe, that is clearly not the case now. No doubting however we have been hit hard.
Your last point is the most pertinent, some of the more recent weekly totals have seen a 75% reduction applied simply because PHE had an obsession with ‘complete data ‘rather than seeking to inform a scared population of the real situation.
In a health crisis that will in the future I think be defined as one where irrational fear trumped everything else, the fact that fear was perpetuated by inflated death stats is a huge political failing.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The revision downward does ***** the bubble of those who have revelled in the idea that the UK has done uniquely badly in Europe, that is clearly not the case now. No doubting however we have been hit hard.
Your last point is the most pertinent, some of the more recent weekly totals have seen a 75% reduction applied simply because PHE had an obsession with ‘complete data ‘rather than seeking to inform a scared population of the real situation.
In a health crisis that will in the future I think be defined as one where irrational fear trumped everything else, the fact that fear was perpetuated by inflated death stats is a huge political failing.
Yes quite possibly.

There is no doubt the Government and the Scientists are frit and utterly paranoid about how they will be judged, not about what is in the overall interests of the country, on balance, now.

They should hold hands up, accept mistakes (serious ones) may have been made between Christmas and Easter in both our preparation and our initial response to the pandemic and announce a full PI to begin now, to look specifically at the 13 week period, ending at Easter when the death rate peaked.

They should not try and back cover perceived mistakes made then by throttling the educational, economic and social well-being of the country by keeping half the country scared witless and leaving the other half to carry on, seemingly not giving a s*it, amidst a sea of contradictory advice and messaging.

"All over by xmas" v "second wave imininent".
"Go back to work" v "Don't use public transport"
"Eat out" v "Lose weight"
"Go to the pub" v "Avoid indoor crowds"
"Have a staycation" v "Stop crowding Dorset, Devon & Cornwall"
to give 5 examples

IndoMike

Yes quite possibly.

There is no doubt the Government and the Scientists are frit and utterly paranoid about how they will be judged, not about what is in the overall interests of the country, on balance, now.

They should hold hands up, accept mistakes (serious ones) may have been made between Christmas and Easter in both our preparation and our initial response to the pandemic and announce a full PI to begin now, to look specifically at the 13 week period, ending at Easter when the death rate peaked.

They should not try and back cover perceived mistakes made then by throttling the educational, economic and social well-being of the country by keeping half the country scared witless and leaving the other half to carry on, seemingly not giving a s*it, amidst a sea of contradictory advice and messaging.

to give 5 examples
A good post Red. Fair, pertinent, accurate and unbiased.

Alistair20000

Yes quite possibly.

to give 5 examples
Spot on RP, and in particular the bit I have underlined.

You need to be appointed to the Cabinet forthwith and be given dictatorial powers. to make the right things happen.