• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Typical E&E

Fareham Grecian

I do think local newspapers tread warily with what they print so as to not upset a potentially good source of news. When the E&E sports desk rings up the club for info they don't want to risk receiving minimal news or having the phone slammed down on them which would result in making their column that much harder to fill.
That may well be the case, but that's not what Pete said.

(And just in case anyone is in any doubt just how awful the E&E is nowadays, this article is currently doing the rounds in the internet http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/tsunami-could-wipe-out-exeter-and-devon-says-leading-expert/story-29963607-detail/story.html )

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
That may well be the case, but that's not what Pete said.

(And just in case anyone is in any doubt just how awful the E&E is nowadays, this article is currently doing the rounds in the internet http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/tsunami-could-wipe-out-exeter-and-devon-says-leading-expert/story-29963607-detail/story.html )
Not entirely sure what the issue is here. The source for the story isn't a quack, but an internationally renowned geologist, with an Exeter connection, who has made programmes for the BBC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Stewart_(geologist)

Let's hope his analysis is wrong, but seems to me this is an entirely legitimate story.

Fareham Grecian

Not entirely sure what the issue is here. The source for the story isn't a quack, but an internationally renowned geologist, with an Exeter connection, who has made programmes for the BBC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Stewart_(geologist)

Let's hope his analysis is wrong, but seems to me this is an entirely legitimate story.
Entirely incorrect. Iain Stewart is the scientist who has poured cold water on the claims, which were actually made by a Dr Simon Day. Good to see your journalistic senses working as well as the E&E's 😀

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd wondered what Tommy Cockles was up to these days.

Tsunami might strike the South West at some point or it might not! In tomorrow's E&E we reveal how you might win the lottery jackpot at some point or you might not.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hence the death spiral of shoddy journalism.

So, farewell then, Express and Echo. You won't be missed.
What's alarming is that we are entering an age of "negativism".
During the scientific revolutions since the victorian era, emphasis was placed on Positivism. Concepts and statements were not considered to be admissible unless they were positively proved to be correct. In the past decade or so we have seen this fundamental tenet be reversed to the point where now it is commonplace to see people of significant authority or influence say anything they want, followed by the caveat "prove me wrong".

In no industries is this more toxic and sickening than journalism, law and politics. Behold, exhibit A:

flynn-twitter-pizzagate.jpg

So based on this new bullsh*t-trumps-all de facto standard, is it any surprise that the E&E and it's ilk are on this gravy train.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Entirely incorrect. Iain Stewart is the scientist who has poured cold water on the claims, which were actually made by a Dr Simon Day. Good to see your journalistic senses working as well as the E&E's 

My bad, I only glanced at the story and mixed up the names of the two academics. Admittedly, it would seem Dr Day's credentials aren't quite as good as Mr Stewart's but, be that as it may, I still think it's an entirely legitimate story. For me, the acid test of a good local newspaper story is might it be talked about it in the pub and in this instance I'd suggest the answer is a resounding yes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Echo is beyond criticism and, in an ideal world, there's plenty it could do better. However, it probably has a quarter of the staff it had 10 or 15 years ago and, in the circumstances, it must be a push to get a paper out at all.

In short, I absolutely agree there's room for improvement, but don't see too much wrong with this story and to suggest, as some have done, that it would be no great loss if the Echo were to cease to exist is just nonsense. Where else are people going to get their news about what's going on in Exeter and East Devon from?!

Last edited:

LOG

Antony Moxey

I still think it's an entirely legitimate story. For me, the acid test of a good local newspaper story is might it be talked about it in the pub.
Well quite. 'Story' would appear to be quite appropriate - it seems as though most newspapers these days seem intent on publishing fiction rather than fact. Interesting that your priority is that it's talked about, I would prefer if journalists saw that their main aim was to ensure that what they actually published was both true and accurate ahead of being the subject of idle gossip.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Daft story of the day concerns the Ampadus again. This time they've added to Ethan's impressive CV by naming him as " the first ever player to play against Cheltenham "

Cuckoo

Fareham Grecian

My bad, I only glanced at the story and mixed up the names of the two academics. Admittedly, it would seem Dr Day's credentials aren't quite as good as Mr Stewart's but, be that as it may, I still think it's an entirely legitimate story. For me, the acid test of a good local newspaper story is might it be talked about it in the pub and in this instance I'd suggest the answer is a resounding yes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Echo is beyond criticism and, in an ideal world, there's plenty it could do better. However, it probably has a quarter of the staff it had 10 or 15 years ago and, in the circumstances, it must be a push to get a paper out at all.

In short, I absolutely agree there's room for improvement, but don't see too much wrong with this story and to suggest, as some have done, that it would be no great loss if the Echo were to cease to exist is just nonsense. Where else are people going to get their news about what's going on in Exeter and East Devon from?!
Iain Stewart is a Dr too.

If it's 'a push to get a paper out', perhaps they shouldn't bother? I assume your last sentence is a joke: people aren't getting news about what's going on if the paper is publishing stories about tsunamis and tenuous scaremongering connections to sex abusers.

The trouble with real news is that it takes commitment, real effort and resources.